Is the Babasling safe? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 03-22-2010, 09:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've read that it's bag-style slings that can cause suffocation problems, but I'm not entirely clear if the Babasling falls into this category or not. Can anyone clarify for me?

Thanks x
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 10 Old 03-22-2010, 09:29 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
I only glanced at the page, but it looks like it's just a padded ring sling, not a bag sling, and that it's possible to use it safely. Most of the models appear to be using it safely. The big thing I notice is that it looks like the buckle where you adjust it is awkwardly located, but that's more of a comfort and convenience problem than safety I think.
#3 of 10 Old 03-23-2010, 07:06 PM

I think it is possible to use this sling safely. It looks like it might be hard to adjust but it could be safe. I just suggest that you make sure to not have it down too low so that the baby is hanging off of you like a purse. Have them high up like the models have them.

earth.gif trottin', pole dancing, Norway and Sweden lovin' , hippie.gif,WOHM Kiddos born waterbirth.jpg 12/11/06 and 08/09/08 
belly.gif with #3 puke.gif EDD:01/2013 yikes2.gif So in love loveeyes.gif with my sweet Swede 2twins.gif and my bonus-son 10/25/98 carrot.gif

#4 of 10 Old 03-25-2010, 12:10 PM

I have another "Is it safe?" question!

I don't have any LOs yet (working on it!) but won an Evenflo Snugli Sway sling in a blog contest a while back. I figured I'd save it to use or gift to a new mom, but I can't tell if it would qualify as a "bag sling" or something else. I can find NO reviews online that help me figure it out.

Product page
Picture in use

In any case, it seems more cumbersome than simpler slings, so I don't know if I'd actually *use* it that often, but should I even keep it around? Also, I'm skeptical of something that's only sold at WalMart...

What do you think?

Jo - WOHM to E 12/26/10, Wife to SAHD DH.

cd.gifslingboy.giftoddler.gifbelly.gif

#5 of 10 Old 03-25-2010, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopefulJo View Post
I have another "Is it safe?" question!

I don't have any LOs yet (working on it!) but won an Evenflo Snugli Sway sling in a blog contest a while back. I figured I'd save it to use or gift to a new mom, but I can't tell if it would qualify as a "bag sling" or something else. I can find NO reviews online that help me figure it out.

Product page
Picture in use

In any case, it seems more cumbersome than simpler slings, so I don't know if I'd actually *use* it that often, but should I even keep it around? Also, I'm skeptical of something that's only sold at WalMart...

What do you think?
I'd say no to that one. It looks like it's only possible for baby to lie down in it, which could encourage the unsafe chin-to-chest position. It's also heavily padded and looks suspiciously like the recalled slings.

Good thing you didn't pay for it.

Sara caffix.gif, Keith 2whistle.gif, Toby 6/08superhero.gif, Nomi 4/10blahblah.gif, Mona 1/12 hammer.gif

Mama of three, lover, student rabbi, spoonie, friend, musician, narcoleptic, space muffin, pretty much a dragon. Crunchy like matzoh.

#6 of 10 Old 03-25-2010, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smeisnotapirate View Post
I'd say no to that one. It looks like it's only possible for baby to lie down in it, which could encourage the unsafe chin-to-chest position. It's also heavily padded and looks suspiciously like the recalled slings.

Good thing you didn't pay for it.
I agree.

Kristy, wife to Josh proud mama to Katie: since 3/08 and Emma since 8/12.

#7 of 10 Old 03-25-2010, 04:32 PM

what the mamas above said.

earth.gif trottin', pole dancing, Norway and Sweden lovin' , hippie.gif,WOHM Kiddos born waterbirth.jpg 12/11/06 and 08/09/08 
belly.gif with #3 puke.gif EDD:01/2013 yikes2.gif So in love loveeyes.gif with my sweet Swede 2twins.gif and my bonus-son 10/25/98 carrot.gif

#8 of 10 Old 03-25-2010, 05:07 PM

I'm glad I didn't pay for it, too! The sides seem shorter than what the Infantino sling has, but the padding & the lying-down position made me wonder. Like I said, there's no immediate danger since there's no babies in the house yet, but now I know not to give it away or sell it, either! Don't want to put anyone else in danger. Thanks, mamas!

Jo - WOHM to E 12/26/10, Wife to SAHD DH.

cd.gifslingboy.giftoddler.gifbelly.gif

#9 of 10 Old 03-26-2010, 09:32 AM

A big red flag with the snugli sling is the internal harness. Any sling that needs some kind of buckle system to keep the baby secure is a no-no (with the exception of infant harnesses in SSCs like the Beco or O&A - b/c the infant is upright, these harnesses actually make it safer, as otherwise the baby would be too low down in the carrier, and the sides could gape open.)

Lindsay, mama to Owen (06.08) and Sadie (05.11) wool.gifpartner to the amazing J. 
#10 of 10 Old 09-03-2014, 12:42 PM

theBabaSling is NOT a bag-sling

theBabaSling is NOT a bag-sling and is as safe as any other baby carrier on the market.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page