Ooh the looks, sling backlash - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 03-26-2010, 12:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Yesterday I went to the market and put my son in a sling.
Now my baby was in an outward facing carry, kangaroo style not in a cradle, nor bent into a 'c', and clearly his head was upright and he was breathing well. However, the sight of my son in a sling, albeit a fleece Kangaroo Korner Pouch, elicited some glares (not stares). I overheard one teenage daughter say to her mother "Isn't that one of those things?" and the looks followed. It wasn't a look of worry or concern, but more so "How could you". Clearly they were trying to convey something to me by being so obvious. Another shopper on the check out line, similar reaction. Yet no one approached me or asked me "have you heard about the recall?".

It irked me that no one actually would talk to me and perhaps open up a conversation about slings. It just seemed like ignorance. They get a sound bite from the media and now they know all there is to know about babywearing.

My husband thought it would have been wise for me to ask them, since I clearly overheard them, if they would like to talk about the sling. It would have been a good opportunity he said to 'share information'.

I really wish I had just tried to open up a conversation.
#2 of 15 Old 03-26-2010, 12:56 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have had a couple of people ask if I heard about the recall (while wearing my TODDLER in a hip carry!). But actually, they asked me in a more curious/what do you think of that kind of way. And it was a great opportunity for me to pass on the REAL info. That would be really annoying to get glares like that! I would be tempted to walk right up to them and say something (in a nice/just thought I'd let you know way).

Mama to my charming little boy, born at home January '09
#3 of 15 Old 03-27-2010, 03:06 PM

I hadn't even heard the news (I have a newborn and a toddler, and just don't stay in touch with the "real world" right now, I guess) and I was wondering why I got so many stares when I wore said newborn in a baby k'tan. Leave it to my grandmother-in-law to ask, "That isn't one of those baby death traps, is it?"! Since I was clueless, she showed me a newspaper article about it. But I'd love it if someone challenges me, what a great teaching opportunity!

L, happily married to E since 8/06, mommy to B 11/07 and J 2/10
#4 of 15 Old 03-28-2010, 12:36 PM

Well, if anyone else makes a comment you can always point out the "walkers" are known dangers yet are still sold and purchased EVERYWHERE.

Married to my best friend since 08/05
Joyful mother to DS born 11/07 and DD born 04/10 (an unexpected HB)
#5 of 15 Old 03-28-2010, 03:57 PM

Maybe we need to get little "education cards" printed up that we can hand to people...

Stacey teaching teens to read & write... Daddy plays ska, DD1 (7/05) loves trees & princesses, & DD2 (3/10) loves mommy-milk! Please get your kids tested for lead.
#6 of 15 Old 03-28-2010, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by staceychev View Post
Maybe we need to get little "education cards" printed up that we can hand to people...
There is a babywearing safety group on facebook that actually posted a PDF of printable cards to give to people explaining the difference between bag slings and safe carriers

tea6.gifStudent mama to Lyra June loveeyes.gif (ribboncesarean.gif 10.24.09)  and Olive Isis love.gif  (vbac.gif12.12.11) 

#7 of 15 Old 03-28-2010, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by staceychev View Post
Another poster gave us this link on another thread about this issue.

http://sleepingbaby.net/sling_safety_card.pdf

Heathyr hang.gifBlessed Catholic Wife to DHwheelchair.gif Devoted Mama to DS1 biglaugh.gif(3/17/08) and DS2blowkiss.gif (8/5/2010)familybed1.gifcd.giflactivist.gifribboncesarean.gifx2 
#8 of 15 Old 03-28-2010, 09:35 PM

I can't count how many times I've seen a little babe in a stroller in that position! My husband just told me that he thinks ellaroos are all out of stock because "aren't they illegal now or something?" Of course I set him straight, but I think it demonstrates the misinformation that's out there...
#9 of 15 Old 03-30-2010, 02:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I thought there might be others getting a similar reaction. Thank you for the feedback-and also to KempsMama for the cards page
#10 of 15 Old 03-30-2010, 06:26 PM

I'm getting the same thing. It's driving me nuts, truly.

Homeschooling mama to DD 3/28/06 reading.gif,  DS 2/27/10 coolshine.gif, Belle the Orange Dog 03/11, and DD babygirl.gif 10/03/2013.
#11 of 15 Old 03-31-2010, 12:13 AM

I wish I'd had those cards today! I had my almost 12 month old DS in a hotsling, hip-carry, and a salesperson said something to me today. I'm sure she thought she was being helpful, but it bugged me. I set her straight, politely, of course.

Mama to Sunshine (9/06), the Duke (4/09), and little chickadee (9/12).
#12 of 15 Old 03-31-2010, 01:25 AM

Only once was someone rude about my sling, otherwise I am finding people generally just want to know about the whole sling thing. I use a ring sling and just explain why that is different than a pouch sling. Plus having my ds with he neck nice and straight and his face exposed to fresh air for them to see helps as well.

In one instance it was an pregnant lady at my gym who was curious about it, so now she is armed with the right info and knows where to buy safe slings in our town!
#13 of 15 Old 03-31-2010, 02:40 AM

I actually used the hotsling last week while grocery shopping b/c DD was in a deep sleep. I did a hip carry with her leaning on my shoulder. Better than waking her up for a long grocery trip.

I thought I was going crazy...or imagining things from reading about the issue. People were glaring at me, pointing...when I was checking out an lady came up behind me and pushed on DD's head, "Just to make sure she is breathing."

It was wild!

I have choice words.

Mama to expecting Babe 2
#14 of 15 Old 03-31-2010, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by claddaghmom View Post
People were glaring at me, pointing...when I was checking out an lady came up behind me and pushed on DD's head, "Just to make sure she is breathing."

It was wild!

I have choice words.

Wow. That IS wild.

I am so printing off some cards. It will give me great pleasure if I ever have need to hand one out!

caffix.gif

#15 of 15 Old 03-31-2010, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by claddaghmom View Post
I actually used the hotsling last week while grocery shopping b/c DD was in a deep sleep. I did a hip carry with her leaning on my shoulder. Better than waking her up for a long grocery trip.

I thought I was going crazy...or imagining things from reading about the issue. People were glaring at me, pointing...when I was checking out an lady came up behind me and pushed on DD's head, "Just to make sure she is breathing."

It was wild!

I have choice words.
WOW! I would have probably smacked her...seriously you dont touch other peoples kids and pushing on their head umm . People are morons.

Jess mom to 5!!! 3 boys 2 girls and another girl on the way edd jan 31st! I have a Disabled veteran husband
breastfeeding,cosleeping, non vax,no circ,and nature loving family!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page