Newborns/Infants and Sling Wearing - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 03-26-2010, 03:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Okay... with all the media commotion, as a possible NEW babywearer, I'm curious about how easy it really is to wear a newborn/infant in a ring sling.

(I did some research and know that it is a totally different thing that was recalled, but I will receive some family and friend "funny looks" if I decide to wear my soon-to-be DS... and I really want to.)

I love the look and idea of a ring sling. I've always thought they were beautiful. However, is it practical to think of putting my newborn/infant in a ring sling (tummy-to-tummy position) for daily chores? Like helping my DD bathe, folding laundry, and/or getting dinner ready in the evening, etc.? These are all the "important" type stuff that I had intended to use the sling for.

If it is practical, what type material would be best? If it is not practical, what type sling/wrap would work better?

I'm new at all this babywearing, and with the current media blather, I want to figure some stuff out. I hadn't even mentioned to DH that I planned to BW DS (his sister BWs though, but lives far away), and he mentioned something last night about the recall and maybe we could get a front carrier for walks and hikes this summer. It kind of bummed me out...

So yeah, I guess I'm just a newbie babywearer-to-be with some questions on what's practical with newborn wearing. TIA!

Lis ~ Married to my favorite boy partners.gif and raising "our" three ~
DS 14 (hisjammin.gif ~ DD 9 (mineloveeyes.gif ~ toddlerDS 2! (ours) bouncy.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 03-26-2010, 03:40 PM

I didn't like slings for our newborn. I didn't figure out a tummy-to-tummy hold in them until he was much older (probably my own fault) and we tended to feel uncomfortable about how much he'd curl up in them while in the cradle hold.

Conversely, our stretchy wrap is the best piece of baby gear we own. We carried him upright from the beginning, he's very secure in it, and I felt totally hands-free and able to do chores. I also felt completely secure about safety: I could look down and see that he still had a good position for breathing, and that his chin wasn't tucking into his chest.

Now that I feel more comfortable with slings, I can wear him tummy-to-tummy in a ring sling hands-free, but he's four months. It took a while for me to feel okay and like I didn't need to keep a hand on him.

So. That's just my two cents: a stretchy wrap is my favorite for very little ones. After that, once he was about a month, we also really liked a mei tai (again, he's upright and tummy-to-tummy).

Wraps are less "poppable" than slings, but, for me, not that much less with a newborn. You can do the pocket/pre-tie with a stretchy wrap and just leave it on, taking the baby out and putting him back in as needed.

You can buy something like a Moby, or just make your own. Super-easy (no sewing involved!) and cheap.

Good luck deciding!

Science-loving mama to one little guy (11/09).
#3 of 5 Old 03-26-2010, 08:21 PM

I also couldn't use the ring sling for the newborn stage but the Moby was great!

Deb, Mom to Madeleine 8/2005 and Maia 11/2009 Nick: and Chris
#4 of 5 Old 03-26-2010, 10:39 PM

The ring sling took me longer to learn than the stretchy wrap, but I did learn it. All I did was tummy to tummy, because I never felt confident in dd's position in cradle carries.

I wouldn't really advise cooking w/ a front carry, too much risk of leaning over too far and burning the babe with spatters or steam IMO. But the other chores you mentioned would work great w/ a RS in a T2T carry.

Kristy, wife to Josh proud mama to Katie: since 3/08 and Emma since 8/12.

#5 of 5 Old 03-27-2010, 12:13 AM

I loved my ring sling with my newborn in both the tummy to tummy and the cradle position. I took me a few days to practice and get the hang of it, but I can't imagine using anything else. We had no issues with DS getting curled up or his face being covered with fabric. I felt that it was totally safe and very versatile.

That being said, I never did a lot of household chores while wearing DS. I used mine more for having my hands free to go on walks, be at the park, grocery shop and other things while with my 3 older children. Laundry, cooking, cleaning, dishes, etc either got done when DH was home (he did it and I held the baby or vice versa) or while DS was sleeping in his bassinet. I did enjoy wearing him, but never felt the need to have him on 24/7.

By the way, an MDC mama made my very beautiful ring sling...

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page