Do some babies just hate being worn? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 21 Old 03-30-2010, 05:41 PM - Thread Starter

Location: Physically in Cincinnati, Ohio. Mentally in Anywhere, Else.
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi Mamas,

I have 4 different kinds of wraps including the moby and a baby bjorn. I put DD in and she starts whining immediately, and never settles into the wrap. She'll full on cry until I take her out. I've tried several different holds with the moby to no avail. Do some baby just hate being worn? It would be SOOOO helpful if she'd let me wear her considering she never wants to be out of my arms and I can't get anything done. I'm open to suggestions if you've gone through this and then had your LO finally decide that baby wearing is cool. Fingers crossed!

DD is 11 weeks, 3 days.

TIA.
#2 of 21 Old 03-30-2010, 06:28 PM

DS didn't like being worn for long periods. He'd be okay for a few minutes, as long as we were outside & walking around. Could it be that your DD just doesn't like the snugness of the wrap? A different kind of carrier/sling might help. I know that with DS, he always had to feel like he could move around, twist, turn, etc, or else he'd start fussing immediately. He never did like being worn facing me unless he was really, really tired.

DS does okay with being worn now--either in the Moby or the ring sling. But again, only if we're out walking around or something, never EVER while we're at home.

joy.gifLoving life with   geek.gifDH   biggrinbounce.gifDS1 (5/7/09) and   babyboy.gifDS2 (7/23/11)

#3 of 21 Old 03-30-2010, 06:31 PM

Are you wearing her facing in or out?

Mama to Thing 1 and Thing 2.
#4 of 21 Old 03-30-2010, 07:28 PM - Thread Starter

Location: Physically in Cincinnati, Ohio. Mentally in Anywhere, Else.
I've been trying to wear her face in until she has more control over her neck, and trying to do this inside, as we live in Boston and spring has yet to sprung. Ive been trying with the Moby, and think she hates the snug fit of it, and then the baby bjorn, a little more leg room, but she hates that one too.
#5 of 21 Old 03-30-2010, 07:32 PM

My kids really didn't prefer being worn until they could face out. This can be done with a ring sling for babies under 3 months or something like a Trekker.

#6 of 21 Old 03-30-2010, 07:37 PM

Some examples:

http://www.theopinionatedparent.com/...ring-sling.jpg

In this way, you can sort of lean a baby back and even tuck part of their head under the material close to the rings

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_g0fVjAmB4h...0/IMG_2477.JPG

Otherwise, wait and she may morph into a "Happy to be worn" baby once she can face out.

#7 of 21 Old 03-30-2010, 07:38 PM

She also might be happier with you outside.

#8 of 21 Old 03-30-2010, 08:15 PM

My little guy only liked one carry for the first 3 mos - a modified kangaroo carry with the Moby, where he was basically curled up in the fetal position on my chest. Any other carrier or carry and he'd scream. But with that carry he was facing sideways and could see out or curl up and go to sleep. Around 3 mos he refused the carrier for about a month, and at about 4 mos, he started letting me put him in a mommy-facing carry, with the moby, the RS or now the mei tai (at 6 mos).

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

#9 of 21 Old 03-30-2010, 08:18 PM

I had the same problem with my dd. I finally ended up getting an ergo carrier. It puts the baby in more of an upright position. She absolutely loves being worn now. She smiles and starts bouncing whenever she sees me putting it on.

http://www.ergobabycarrier.com/

Happily married to the love of my life and proud AP, cosleeping, breastfeeding, unschooling, babywearing mommy to The Great Zozilla
#10 of 21 Old 03-30-2010, 08:33 PM

mine has never cared for it. inside or out. only one he actually seems to enjoy - is the friggin BJORN! and so i can only deduce that he just likes to have free range of his body, and to be facing outwards.

he can hang in the ergo for short periods, maybe up to an hour - but he WILL NOT fall asleep in one. he just starts arching and wanting to bust out when he gets tired.

bummer. i always wanted to be a wearer. seems counter-intuitive that a baby would not like to be held tightly and close...similar to the womb. beats me.

32 - son born 9/21/09
#11 of 21 Old 03-30-2010, 09:01 PM

millie only likes ffo. i tried her on my back the other day and she flipped out

Jen-loving Bill, mama to Teryn 18, Kalyn 16, Ricky 13, Natalie 5, Angel Zoe '07 and rainbow1284.gifAmelia Rae 22 mos bonus kids (dss) W 14, W 13 NEW grandbaby due 10/10/11

#12 of 21 Old 03-30-2010, 10:55 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Moving to Babywearing.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#13 of 21 Old 03-30-2010, 11:03 PM

Yes. DD has always hated to be restricted. I tried out a couple slings and they terrified her.

It wasn't until around the crawling age that I was able to convince her to try out a hotsling. She tolerated it for short periods of time...maybe 10-15 minutes at the mall or longer if she was sleeping.

By about 8 months she was okay with the moby wrap and would sleep in it.

She was just an "in arms" baby, and then as soon as she could walk, that's all she wanted to do anyways. Oh wait, except for grocery shopping...for a few months she sat in the cart seat with a cover. By 7 months, she could stand and would only go in the back or on the ground.

Mama to expecting Babe 2
#14 of 21 Old 03-31-2010, 02:34 PM

my DD did not like the ring sling, bjorn carrier, hotsling. 10 minutes probably tops.

DD LOVES LOVES LOVES the stroller. She is stroller Queen.

Cheryl, mom to Olivia Grace (May 2009), Zackary James (Jun 2012)

both hypnobabies births

#15 of 21 Old 03-31-2010, 02:58 PM

DS hated to be worn. I tried several different carriers.
When he was 5-6 months or so I got an ergo and he seemed to tolerate that. By then he was so heavy, it was tough to carry him for long periods.

Me jammin.gif DH  REPlaySkateboard04HL.gifDS 06/06 superhero.gif ...MC 2/9 11/9 5/10
#16 of 21 Old 03-31-2010, 03:03 PM

DD#2 hated being worn. Would scream bloody murder. We tried 4 different kinds, facing in and out. Nothing worked. But this is also my child who is very independent and a mover and a shaker. She was full on walking by 9 months and i think she just doesnt like to be confined. She still doesn't at age 4. She also is the child who hated co-sleeping, till she hit about 9 months. And even then she didn't like to be touched. At around 18 months she finally started cuddling while co-sleeping. So i think it just goes in line with her needs.

Loving mom to 2energy.gif ,1jammin.gif , & 1dog2.gif . Surrodaughter 4/09
#17 of 21 Old 04-03-2010, 02:26 PM

When my 7-month-old was that age, she only wanted to be worn when she was sleeping. So I'd get her in the Moby and go. Sometimes semi-vigorous house-cleaning would do, but usually I had to begin walking, preferably at a brisk pace. Sometimes she'd fuss, but usually she'd end up falling asleep pretty quickly.

Now she loves being in the Ergo, both awake and asleep.

Mom to dd (8), ds (6), and dd (1)

#18 of 21 Old 04-04-2010, 04:06 AM

You just gotta go with your baby, mama! My DD didn't like any carriers until about 3-4 months old, but came around to it (we have Bjorn, Ergo, and hotslings). From then till about 10-11 months, she really liked being carried. And then she grew out of it again when she started to walk around 14 months.
BTW, if you have a 11 week old baby, please don't worry about getting anything done! It gets much easier when baby can sit on their own around 4-5 months, promise!

enjoying motherhood way more than science:
married to DH love.gif (2003) mama to DDenergy.gif(Nov 2008) & DSbabyf.gif   (Mar 2011)

#19 of 21 Old 04-05-2010, 12:47 PM

Are you sure that you are using the carrier correctly? Babywearing is really trial and error, some babies really like certain slings and others dont... I have never met a baby that did not like being worn 100% (though I am sure they exist) but when a mama was having trouble with a baby that did not like being worn coming to a babywearing meeting and trying out some new carriers always helped. Also making sure the baby was being worn correctly. I had a mama once who had worn her two previous kids and the last one did not like it... well when I met her she had been wearing them wrong all along!! When we fixed that it was tons better.

earth.gif trottin', pole dancing, Norway and Sweden lovin' , hippie.gif,WOHM Kiddos born waterbirth.jpg 12/11/06 and 08/09/08 
belly.gif with #3 puke.gif EDD:01/2013 yikes2.gif So in love loveeyes.gif with my sweet Swede 2twins.gif and my bonus-son 10/25/98 carrot.gif

#20 of 21 Old 04-05-2010, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by almadianna View Post
Are you sure that you are using the carrier correctly? Babywearing is really trial and error, some babies really like certain slings and others dont... I have never met a baby that did not like being worn 100% (though I am sure they exist) but when a mama was having trouble with a baby that did not like being worn coming to a babywearing meeting and trying out some new carriers always helped. Also making sure the baby was being worn correctly. I had a mama once who had worn her two previous kids and the last one did not like it... well when I met her she had been wearing them wrong all along!! When we fixed that it was tons better.
2nd all of this. Is there a Babywearing group near you? i would suggest trying a mei tai as they can be roomier but still snug/safe.

I wouldn't suggest facing your child out. Apart from anything it's very hard on your back (and not good for your child according to some).

Leila, mama to Eleanor (10/08) and Emmett (4/10)

Visit my blog! www.rookblog.com

#21 of 21 Old 04-05-2010, 09:02 PM

My daughter hated Moby's but liked MT's alright. My son was OK with MT's but LOVED the Moby. Both hated slings.

mama of DS(3) & DD(2)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page