woven wrap help? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 05-10-2010, 01:03 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm so lost....

I need a two shouldered carrier-- one shouldered slings are so uncomfortable.

I'm also klutzy, and it's super hot here in texas. I have an opportunity to buy used bali breeze for 30 dollars (the most I want to spend for a carrier that I'm not sure will work for me and my son).

Are woven carriers much harder to use than stretchies? Is it possible to do easy in and out with a woven carrier?

I'm also a plus size mama, and I'm wondering if a wrap like bali breeze would work for me-- but I can use the moby just fine, so I think it should be ok.

Texmati-- Knitter, Hindu, vegetarian, WOHM. Wife to superdadsuperhero.gif and mom to DS babyf.gif24 months, and DD boc.gif 8 months! .

#2 of 16 Old 05-10-2010, 07:07 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It takes a little practice to get used to the difference between stretchy and woven wraps, but it really isn't that hard. I tended to have a harder time tying the woven wraps tight enough in the beginning, but you can tell as soon as you stand upright (I was doing back carries).

It isn't as easy to do in and out if you're doing a back carry, but front carries aren't that hard to do. $30 is a great price and if you don't like it you can probably sell it here on the TP for the same amount.

Monica - single mama to DS nono02.gifand DD blowkiss.gif

#3 of 16 Old 05-10-2010, 11:26 AM - Thread Starter

thanks for getting back to me-- the only carry Iknow to do is the moby carry hug hold (I think that's a front wrap cross carry).

Texmati-- Knitter, Hindu, vegetarian, WOHM. Wife to superdadsuperhero.gif and mom to DS babyf.gif24 months, and DD boc.gif 8 months! .

#4 of 16 Old 05-10-2010, 05:11 PM

wrapyourbaby.com

This is my favoite wrap site. It's where I go when I need to learn a new way to wrap. She's got a couple of carries on there that are pretty easy to do "in and out" without too much trouble- there's one that's just called the "cross carry" that I use for that a lot.

Amanda- mama to Lincoln 1/09 and expecting #2 10/11!
#5 of 16 Old 05-12-2010, 03:32 PM

bali breeze are gauze wraps, not woven. they're more supportive than a stretchy, but not as comfortable as a woven. it would be great to learn some carries with without spending too much $

Married to David since 2/16/08. Baby wearing, breastfeeding, bed sharing, delayed vaxing, cloth diapering, SAHM to Bella, my punctual little girl, born on her due date, 9/3/09
#6 of 16 Old 05-21-2010, 12:18 PM

i have a BB and i am in texas. i liked it at first with my smaller babies because it was so thin but stopped using it when my kids got older. I also am a little "fluffy". I found that the wrap would dig into my fat and pinch. I did not like that.

However 30 dollars is a great price to experiment. I am sure you could sell if back for that if it doesnt work out.

earth.gif trottin', pole dancing, Norway and Sweden lovin' , hippie.gif,WOHM Kiddos born waterbirth.jpg 12/11/06 and 08/09/08 
belly.gif with #3 puke.gif EDD:01/2013 yikes2.gif So in love loveeyes.gif with my sweet Swede 2twins.gif and my bonus-son 10/25/98 carrot.gif

#7 of 16 Old 05-21-2010, 12:51 PM - Thread Starter

almadianna,

I'm pregnant, and so my price threshold for a comfy carrier has just shot up. I need to learn to use something before baby number 2 shows up!

Any suggestions for a wrap that works well for this climate, that is also comfy, and supportive for older babies (say up to two yo?).

#8 of 16 Old 05-21-2010, 12:55 PM

congrats!

Where in texas are you?

I have a small addiction to didymos wraps, mostly the waves and fish series. I have used both even in August. Not the most budget friendly of the wraps out there but extremely supportive. I still carry my almost 4 year old in mine. All of my friends with similar wraps are still carrying older toddlers/preschoolers in them comfortable.

earth.gif trottin', pole dancing, Norway and Sweden lovin' , hippie.gif,WOHM Kiddos born waterbirth.jpg 12/11/06 and 08/09/08 
belly.gif with #3 puke.gif EDD:01/2013 yikes2.gif So in love loveeyes.gif with my sweet Swede 2twins.gif and my bonus-son 10/25/98 carrot.gif

#9 of 16 Old 05-21-2010, 12:58 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by almadianna View Post
congrats!

Where in texas are you?

I have a small addiction to didymos wraps, mostly the waves and fish series. I have used both even in August. Not the most budget friendly of the wraps out there but extremely supportive. I still carry my almost 4 year old in mine. All of my friends with similar wraps are still carrying older toddlers/preschoolers in them comfortable.
are the diddy waves cool for the summer?

Thank you! I'm just now getting a bit excited . I need to do some shopping for the realy excitment to kick in, I think! I'm up in dallas-- no active baby wearing group here (that I know of) .

#10 of 16 Old 05-21-2010, 01:37 PM

yes they are. cool and supportive.
http://wearyourbaby.com/Default.aspx?tabid=201

according to that website there was a babywearing meeting a couple weeks ago in McKinney, also the DFWHolisticFamiles page on yahoo says that they have babywearing help and meetings. Maybe give them a try?

If not send me a PM I help lead the Houston one and can steer you in the right direction. I have a friend that lives in Frisco, tx that I help with babywearing stuff all of the time.... and I am going to be in Dallas in a week and a half.

#11 of 16 Old 05-21-2010, 01:40 PM - Thread Starter

I know, I think those are the classes that peppermint baby used to have-- they've since closed down. I'll check out the DFWHolistic families page -- I had not seen that before.

I checked the prices on that didymos! you aren't kidding! I'll see if a used one shows up on the TP sometime soon.

#12 of 16 Old 05-21-2010, 01:42 PM

I would go to thebabywearer (or not because it is addictive ) to see about getting a good used one. They have a section that talks about local babywearing meetings as well.

#13 of 16 Old 05-21-2010, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by almadianna View Post
I would go to thebabywearer (or not because it is addictive ) to see about getting a good used one. They have a section that talks about local babywearing meetings as well.
With the good woven wraps, if you buy them used, you can almost always re-sell them again at the same price. All you need is one wrap, and when your child grows out of it, you can sell it. My son is three, and I still carry him comfortably in my Storchenweige.

my toy shop on etsy.com: wooden baby keys, natural bathtub toys, wooden animals, little kitchens, waldorf dolls...also check out my blog about saving money, creating things, and natural living
#14 of 16 Old 05-21-2010, 02:00 PM

oh yes, same price or even more if you get a good deal on them.

#15 of 16 Old 05-24-2010, 06:28 PM - Thread Starter

almadianna and everyone else, thank you for your help! I went ahead and bought the Bali breeze. I was dissapointed that it was kind of sanpapery, and almost too short (I'm afraid it will be too short for a fwcc by the time I'm showing).

However, I was shocked at how easy the carries are to do in a woven vs a moby. I don't have to worry about folding everything in the middle, and the baby seems weightless!

Almadianna, I was embarrassed to find a sticky on the babywearer site about summer wraps-- I feel bad about asking questions that have been answered over and over and over!

I am thinking that I will def think about diy-ing or buying a nice wrap for when the baby comes, but for now (100 degree heat) I"m going to enjoy the BB. Hopefully it will soften up!

#16 of 16 Old 05-25-2010, 11:45 AM

ohhh dont be embarrased!! I love talking about babywearing, I think we all do, that is why we are here.

I am glad you were able to find some help, the BB is sandpapery when it is new but it does get softer. I recommend putting it in the washing it and putting it in the dryer to help with that. Or sleep on it, or iron it... basically just use it and it will get softer. Believe it or not this is not the most supportive of wraps so can you imagine the support of a really great woven wrap? it is heaven. Seriously.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page