Moby wrap - love or hate it? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-18-2010, 12:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
If you have one, do you love it or hate it and why? I just purchased one - haven't received it just yet - and I'm excited to give it a try as I've heard mixed reviews about them. I have a mei tai, which I like, but DS's head isn't exactly strong enough for me to be completely hands free, but it works for walks. I have peanut shell that I only wore a few times as it started hurting my shoulder and then I have a basic bjorn which I like for doing things around the house.

Soo...I'm up for trying something new and the moby caught my eye and it fit my budget. I LOVE the Olives and Applesauce carriers, but those are a bit pricey! DS loves to be swaddled and this looked like something that would comfort him, be next to me and he would be upright as well.

One happy mama to 1/06 , 3/10 , and married to my best friend
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-18-2010, 12:12 PM

I loved mine, especially for the early stages. My DS started to not like it too much, because he's mister independent - as soon as he could toddle he wanted freedom (but he gave up on all carriers, not just the Moby). I found that the Moby was the best overall, even for those freedom days, because when he was bigger I could sling him in a hip carry. He loved being carried on my hip and the Moby made that easier.

When he was super tiny, I would go shopping, for walks, and do chores with him snug on me. Kept strangers from poking at him too!

Mom to two intact boys, born at home. DS1 11/07, DS2 9/10
Old 05-18-2010, 12:17 PM

Loved mine in the early months, once she got a bit heavier I didn't care for it as much because it was too stretchy to hold her securely to me.

Quote:
When he was super tiny, I would go shopping, for walks, and do chores with him snug on me. Kept strangers from poking at him too!
yep! yep! and yep! I think this is why I liked the moby so much early on.

Nic, loving mama to 5 with a SURPRISE 6th on the way.

Old 05-18-2010, 12:23 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Demeter~ View Post
Loved mine in the early months, once she got a bit heavier I didn't care for it as much because it was too stretchy to hold her securely to me.

yep! yep! and yep! I think this is why I liked the moby so much early on.
So I may not be using it for long? DS is 11 weeks and at his 2 month check up, he weighed in at almost 13lbs. To me, he still feels pretty light, so we'll have to give the Moby a whirl tonight and see how he feels it and if he likes it. He always falls asleep in the Mei Tai....

Old 05-18-2010, 12:59 PM

I LOVED my moby - we used until DD was about 25 lbs. I fully plan on investing in a woven wrap next time around so we can wrap longer.

wife of 8 years to DH geek.gif, mama to DD blahblah.gif (2006) & DS jog.gif (2011) angel1.gif (Dec. 2012) rainbow1284.gif due Nov. 2013 

vbac.gifh20homebirth.gif cd.gif homeschool.gif

Old 05-18-2010, 01:11 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Loved my Moby during the early stage (first 4 months?) but now it's too hot to wear it. Once the cooler weather returns we will venture into different positions because he'll be > 20 lbs by then.

Momma to DD (12/04) hearts.gif and DS (11/09) hbac.gif.
I survived 16 mos! Ask me about breastfeeding a baby with posterior tongue tie, high palate, and weak oral motor skills- whew!

Old 05-18-2010, 03:47 PM

Loved it for the first couple of months. I'd put it on in the morning and wear it all day, popping DD in and out as needed.

Karen , wife x 11 years to J and SAHM to Evie 9-19-08
Old 05-18-2010, 04:15 PM

not just loved it... LOVE LOVE LOOOOOVED it.
I could wear it.. dh wore it... we faced inwards, we faced outwards..
dd was a big baby, too. she weighed 10 lbs when she was born and we STILL use it 6 months later. It's great for the wee tiny ones, but it's great for the bigger ones, too.

Is it getting lonely in the echo chamber yet?

Old 05-18-2010, 04:45 PM

I had another brand of stretchy wrap, but loved, loved, loved it when dd was little. We used it all the time.

Not to feed the addiction, but if your LO gets too heavy for the Moby and you'd still like to wrap, check out woven wraps. I have an Ellaroo that I happened on in a thrift store (score!), that I'm still using w/ my 2 year old. New ones can be pretty pricey, but the Bali Breeze by Gypsy Mama is more affordable, and pretty too.

Kristy, wife to Josh proud mama to Katie: since 3/08 and Emma since 8/12.

Old 05-18-2010, 04:52 PM

Oh, I forgot about the out-facing! DS adored facing out. LOVED it. And I loved how you could easily let their legs stretch out / tuck them up.

Yeah, the Moby is the best all-around carrier. Too bad arizona is so hot. I remember being on my back porch with the moby as my "shirt" heh. And I was still hot.

Mom to two intact boys, born at home. DS1 11/07, DS2 9/10
Old 05-18-2010, 04:54 PM

Just okay. It fit well for both mama and newborn baby, but it was just too hot for the Texas summer.
Old 05-18-2010, 05:36 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I loved it - I could get a snug hold on him, he calmed down (almost immediately), and I could get things done. It wasn't love at first sight, but I watched YouTube videos and finally found a hold that worked for us.

He's almost 5 months old and he's outgrown the Moby, though I'm still using it until my mei tai arrives. I purchased the Moby (brand new and cheap) on Craigslist, knowing I would have to purchase a second carrier. It was one of the best baby purchases I made.
Old 05-18-2010, 06:15 PM
Banned

I had a gypsy mama bali baby stretch (well, two) and it was nice and cool and a tad less stretchy. I didn't discover that it was perfect for DD until she was maybe 3 months but we lived in those for months... as we got to 6mo I couldn't use it for like going for a brisk walk, she'd sink too low and it would hurt my back by the end... but I can't wait to use them again from the get-go with this one! Wraps are great for holding LO's heads securely. DD always wanted to be upright. Maybe it had to do with my huge boobs (a friend said it didn't work for her the same way, she had a moby) but DD could cuddle in AND see all around easily. When she held her head up it was a few inches out from my upper chest.
Old 05-19-2010, 03:10 AM

My husband and I wore our daughter in a Moby Wrap for her first 10 months or so (she was in the 95th percentile) and we LOVED it! My only complaints are that it does take some skill to put on quickly and it can get hot when it's warm. I would wear my daughter all of the time... doing housework, on walks, on vacation, at the store. I love my Moby Wrap and will be using it whenever we have another child.

Anna (29) & DH (30) partners.gif 6.2006 :: love.gif 2.2008 :: babygirl.gif 1.2012    I'm a proud hbac.gif mama!

Old 05-19-2010, 03:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by busymama77 View Post
So I may not be using it for long? DS is 11 weeks and at his 2 month check up, he weighed in at almost 13lbs. To me, he still feels pretty light, so we'll have to give the Moby a whirl tonight and see how he feels it and if he likes it. He always falls asleep in the Mei Tai....

I think I got mine when my daughter was around 2mos old and used it pretty regularly until she was about 4ish mos, then sporadically until she was 9mos old. After that I really just wasn't comfortable with the stretch. I am a short woman, 5'1 and perhaps that has a bit to do with my comfort level. I found different carriers worked better for different stages. I know this time around I'm looking forward to using the moby from the get go.

Nic, loving mama to 5 with a SURPRISE 6th on the way.

Old 05-19-2010, 12:21 PM

I love my Moby. The only thing I don't love is getting it on when out and about-since I'm really short, it's hard to keep it from dragging on the ground...but it's a small annoyance which is eclipsed by how comfy it is to wear.

I bought mine when my toddler was around 1 and 18 lbs or so. She's now 24ish lbs, and it still works great for her.

I've also used it a few times with my newborn, and he loves it too-I think much more so than my toddler even did.

If you end up liking the Moby, but your little guy gets too heavy for it with the stretchy fabric, you could always switch to a woven wrap-pretty much all the same carries...but doesn't stretch so it hold them in a little better.

jamie. crinkly (not quite crunchy) mama to 3 amazing little girls, an awesome little boy, and a baby girl making her debut at the end of this summer.

Old 05-19-2010, 12:38 PM - Thread Starter

Well, I got it last night and I'm not a huge fan of it, so I'm going to either return it or sell it. Anyone interested? It just didn't feel secure enough and I tried all sorts of holds with him in it. I'm bummed 'cause I was ready to try something new, but I think I'm just gonna stick with my mei tai and keep a look out for a cheap Beco or O&A.

Old 05-19-2010, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by busymama77 View Post
Well, I got it last night and I'm not a huge fan of it, so I'm going to either return it or sell it. Anyone interested? It just didn't feel secure enough and I tried all sorts of holds with him in it. I'm bummed 'cause I was ready to try something new, but I think I'm just gonna stick with my mei tai and keep a look out for a cheap Beco or O&A.
If you'd like to try it again, tie it tighter. Pretty much the only hold I used was the hug hold. I'd tie it on so it fit to my body without stretching, then stretch it to put the baby in. That kept her plenty snug.

Kristy, wife to Josh proud mama to Katie: since 3/08 and Emma since 8/12.

Old 06-06-2010, 05:13 PM

another moby LOVE family here.
My DS is 16 months and I can still comfortably carry him in it. I sewed a pocket onto the front both for functionality and decoration, and that has improved it by at least 72%.
I have an ERGO but nether DH or I find it comfortable.

treehugger.gif *CPST*  mama to my three year old DS1 broc1.gif1.31.09 and wedded to angel 8.07  hola.gif

DS 2  waterbirth.jpg 8/18/12!!

Old 06-07-2010, 11:24 PM

I loved my wrap in the early stages. DD is starting to get a little big for it, but we both still love it.

Lindsay - Mum to Logan (May 3, 2007), Graysen (June 26, 2009) and welcoming somebody new in September 2011!
Old 06-07-2010, 11:37 PM
Banned

I had my dd in a sleepy wrap (almost the same thing I think) when she was little and it was great. I remmber the first few times using it, it felt really loose. I just tied it tighter, almost to a point where you'd think it was too tight to fit a baby in there, and then we were comfy.
Old 06-07-2010, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyterae View Post
I LOVED my moby - we used until DD was about 25 lbs. I fully plan on investing in a woven wrap next time around so we can wrap longer.
This was how it worked for us, too. I think my guy was about 20 lbs. when it started not working.

Aren't Sleepy Wraps the same concept but made from woven fabric?

My only complaint about the Moby is that it is a LOT of fabric and can be hot in the summer months. Maybe don't be like me and get a black one.

Have you seen the updated user agreement yet?

User Tag List