Bad Neck & Back...carrier suggestions? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-24-2010, 07:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Due to a car accident and other previous back issues I have a lot of pain in my neck, shoulder, upper back area. I would really like to wear this baby when the time comes, but I'm wondering if it'll cause too much strain on me. I had a MT with my last but didn't like it (contrary to so many in this forum!). I've also had a baby bjorn and wasn't impressed. Obviously I can't try any of them out right now but is anyone in a similar boat and found a solution?! I've read some posts about strengthening the core which I'm sure is essential, but any carrier suggestions would be much appreciated!

Mama to DD#1 2001 reading.gif, DD#2 2002 2whistle.gif, dog2.gif, & cat.gif. Me & my man partners.gifbelly.gif June 2014.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-28-2010, 01:58 AM

You could try a SSC like an ergo with an infant insert for newborn. I hear good things.

My back is in good shape, but when my daughter started to get bigger I needed a carrier with a frame. I have a Kelty TC 2.0. Doesn't work for itty-bitty babies, but it has definitely prolonged my baby wearing days. It's not an around-the-house snuggly carrier, but we go hiking a lot, so it's awesome for that.
Old 06-15-2010, 07:46 PM

I, too have a bad neck/upper back. I just bought an Ergo (but haven't tried it on newborn yet--need insert first) and someone else suggested a Pikkolo for those issues... I have used a Moby which worked well.

AP mama to two boys (5 , 3) fencing.gifand one sweet girl baby energy.gif
Old 06-16-2010, 12:21 AM

I second the Ergo. I have a ruptured disk and other back/pelvis issues. I wore dd in a Mama Baby sling until she was about 6 months. At that point I bought an Ergo and I was able to carry my dd in the Ergo a LOT until she was two. I wore her everywhere, everytime we left the house. She even slept in it a lot at home too (she wouldn't really nap otherwise), or hung out in it while I did things around the house. By age two she was heavy enough that it did start to bother my back. I was thrilled to have gotten two years of babywearing in though, considering the condition of my back.

Making sure you learn to put it on properly and fit it where the weight sits on your hipbones is key too. (Like a hiking backpack.) I've seen lots of people wear the belt part too high on their hips/waist and I don't think it works quite as well that way.
Old 06-16-2010, 01:52 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks!
I've looked at the Ergo & it seems like a good option for me. It is hot for over half the year where we live & the idea of getting wrapped up in a Moby or something doesn't seem appealing.

Mama to DD#1 2001 reading.gif, DD#2 2002 2whistle.gif, dog2.gif, & cat.gif. Me & my man partners.gifbelly.gif June 2014.
Old 06-16-2010, 05:53 PM

The trick with the MT is to get the weight onto your hips. The Ergo should simplify that for you although it is fairly easy to do with a MT if you know how (see my thread on the MT and toddlers for a picture )

Start off by making sure the waist strap is on your waist. The bottom of the strap should be above your hip bones. Putting the strap around the hips is the most common mistake backpackers make with frame backpacks and it makes a HUGE difference to how the weight is supported by your body.

User Tag List