And what if they just really hate facing in? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-02-2010, 08:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I know the outward facing SSC get some flack on here, but what if your kid just really hates facing in sometimes? Is it so bad to have the option of outward-facing? Otherwise, what are you supposed to do? I just had to walk the last mile home holding my LO facing out because she wouldn't stand for being in the Ergo facing in or on my back or on my hip.

I keep checking to see when the Beco Gemini is coming out because this sucks.

Sorry, had to vent.

And no, the wrap's not really an option - it just doesn't work with my style/lifestyle/rhythm, etc. Not for errands and busy days anyway.

Mom to DD Nov 2009,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2010, 12:01 AM

totally hear you...all three of mine have had periods where they refuse to face inward if they are awake. my kids like to see the world, even at 3 months old!

I would really like an ergo or mei tei, but am afraid to because of this. i have a maya, which i love, but I get back aches once baby hits 20lbs, and my almost 4mo old is there now. I think something that goes over both shoulders would help immensely. so I feel like i'm at a stand-still.

Mama to Butterfly, B(ee), Bug, and Laniecakes

Old 06-03-2010, 01:13 AM

I hear you as well. I am checking my email everyday to see if I get the Beco Gemini is out email blast (I am on the waiting list).
DD will tolerate facing in if she is sleepy, but usually she wants to see everything that is going on, she doesn't even want to be held facing in. Early on we used the Bjorn (cue the evil music) and honestly she loved it, but she is probably too big for it now and we now know how the positioning isn't the best so we stopped using it.
I don't know if this will work with the Ergo, but we use a Boba and we have modified it a bit to do an out facing hold. We use a nylon strap and fastener (from the useless Lilibaby carrier we bought in desperation, it offers an out facing position, but it is horrible) anyway, it is basically like this:

http://www.strapworks.com/Strap_Adju...traps_s/55.htm

We simply tighten it around the base of the Boba just above the padded hip band and then we have an outward carrier. Her legs are still is a slightly froggied position and her bum is on the padded hip band so it is not like her legs are just dangling like the Bjorn. It does make the shorten the carrier a bit. Also, if DD is not wearing long pants I will put a cloth diaper or receiving blanket over the straps so she doesn't get impressions from the straps, it also helps with extra support.
I am sure this is not recommended and probably has some dangers I am not seeing, but I feel like DD is totally secure and much happier.

Good luck!

Mama to Madelynn 8/16/2009 and awaiting buggy #2 March/2011 , partner to DH

Old 06-03-2010, 01:24 AM - Thread Starter

Hah, we got the Lillebaby, too. What don't you like about it? The straps keep twisting on me (they'll send out replacement ones), some stitching has come loose and it just wears on me faster. BUT, she can face out, so I keep dragging it out and suffering through it.

Mom to DD Nov 2009,
Old 06-03-2010, 01:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jess5377 View Post
Hah, we got the Lillebaby, too. What don't you like about it? The straps keep twisting on me (they'll send out replacement ones), some stitching has come loose and it just wears on me faster. BUT, she can face out, so I keep dragging it out and suffering through it.
I hate the straps! They twist and they are not supportive at all, also we got "upgraded straps" and the female snaps on the new straps don't even fit the male holes on the base! We kept hauling and using it too for a while until the main fastener finally broke, then we parted it out. I do think their design for out facing is clever though, it is super easy to convert.

Can't wait for the Gemini!

Old 06-03-2010, 04:44 PM

What about a pikkolo?
Old 06-03-2010, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biscuits & Gravy View Post
What about a pikkolo?
Funny, I just found this one last night! Seems like a good option, wish I saw it before the Lilebaby.

Old 06-03-2010, 10:29 PM

I love my pikkolo. I haven't had her facing out yet, but I like that I can unfroggy her legs at 8 weeks and have it fit her.

Hippie sympathizer and mom to L, 4.8.10.
Pet-mom to Squirt with FLUTD & Maya the deaf wonder dog .
Old 06-03-2010, 11:54 PM

No personal experience, but the Freehand SSC may be another option:

http://www.togetherbe.com/freehand/
Old 06-04-2010, 12:44 AM

I am not at all opposed to a FFO position, especially in an ergonomic carrier like the Pikkolo. I think as long as you're paying attention to both baby's ergonomics as well as your own, as well as baby's cues in terms of becoming overstimulated, then you're fine. I think there's a lot of hot air out there about the eeeevillls of FFO....but I don't think they're all so cut and dried as some of the anti-FFOs would have you believe, either in terms of physical issues or developmentally.

OTOH, my concern with the FFO position is that it is really only doable for a limited amount of time -- 20 pounds is really the upper limit of what parents can comfortably carry in an FFO position. The problem can be that babies can get SO used to FFO they won't be carried any other way -- which is problematic when baby is really heavy and getting taller! I always encourage parents to mix it up, do front facing in and front facing out, and start working on back carries as the primary carrying method when baby gets to that 20 pound mark if they're old enough (usually 5-6 months). It's better for the parent's physical well-being to have a heavy baby on the back.

I think the Gemini will be a great addition to the realm of FFO possible carriers, but the Pikkolo and Connecta are current options that work well for many parents.

Come visit the NEW QuirkyBaby website -- earn QB Bucks rewards points for purchases, reviews, referrals, and more! Free US shipping on great brands of baby slings and carriers and FREE BabyLegs or babywearing mirror on orders of $100+. Take the QB Quiz for personalized advice!

Old 06-09-2010, 11:01 PM

DS went through a facing out only stage at around 3 - 4 months and I used the MeiTaiBaby and the Pikkolo for short periods of time. Both were comfortable. I also did the kangaroo carry with the ring sling, but never found it as secure. I since switched to wearing him in a high back carry insead and he likes it and a hip carry in a slingling/ ring sling. I'm hoping that our must face out days are gone.

sleepytime.gif
Old 06-10-2010, 12:58 PM

What about a hip carry? I just bought a pouch for the easy on and off and my one year old can look around very easily in it. You can't wear it for long periods of tome but I was surprised at how comfortable it can be. If your baby is smaller you can even do a forward kangaroo carry in it. There are some ssc that have a hip carry option that could also work. It is a very natural way to carry a baby.

Wig wearing mommy to (06/12/09) 
Old 06-11-2010, 01:00 PM

Dr. Sears is the one wrote about the "kangaroo position," for his sling. My newborn would only babywear that way, and was happy as a clam in that position. He'd scream bloody murder facing any other way. I just put up with the dirty looks from a couple of other babywearing moms. Not everyone is going to love an Ergo or wrap or whatever. If baby and mom are both happy, then that's enough for me.
Old 06-12-2010, 08:00 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
At 3-4 months I wore my son facing out quite a bit in kangaroo carry in a sling.
He is now 7 months and I have to limit the kangaroo carry as he tries to stand. However, he is much more cooperative now facing in than he was at 3-4 months (go figure).

User Tag List