how to actually get your kid into an Ergo back carry? - Mothering Forums
Babywearing > how to actually get your kid into an Ergo back carry?
CassnBeth's Avatar CassnBeth 11:20 PM 06-05-2010
My eleven month old daughter loves riding on my back in the ergo but I can't figure out how to get her back there other than by laying her and the ergo down on the bed first. I know the ergo site says you can fit your kid into the carrier and then just shift the whole mess around to the back but there is just no way I can do that without turning all my clothes around. How are you guys doing this?

jgale's Avatar jgale 12:04 AM 06-06-2010
I usually just buckle the Ergo around my waist, grab the kid by her arms and toss her on my back. Then I lean forward and hold her with one hand while I pull the carrier up and over her with the other. At this age (19 months), she just lays on my back while I do this. There are lots of you tube videos of this.

If you're nervous, another really easy way is to put the Ergo on around your waist and then kneel down in front of your kid with your back to her. Have her give you a hug around your neck, then lean forward (so her feet come off the ground) and pull the ergo up between her legs and put the straps on. Good luck. It's easy once you get the hang of it...
emilieblogs's Avatar emilieblogs 12:11 AM 06-06-2010
I do the hip-scoot method....carrier goes on around my waist, baby goes on my hip...scoot the babe onto my back while leaning forward (have him give me a hug, if he's feeling cooperative), and pull the carrier up through his legs and over my shoulders.
Beauchamp's Avatar Beauchamp 12:21 AM 06-06-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by emilieblogs View Post
I do the hip-scoot method....carrier goes on around my waist, baby goes on my hip...scoot the babe onto my back while leaning forward (have him give me a hug, if he's feeling cooperative), and pull the carrier up through his legs and over my shoulders.
My method is something sort of like this. It is so easy, and I actually feel so confident doing it, no problem over pavement, etc.

I get her on my hip and make sure she's seated. Then (sorry if this is hard to picture, it's hard to describe, but it's so easy to do.) I hold the right shoulder strap up with my right arm bent. The shoulder strap is on my forearm near my elbow. My arm is pushing up so it's taut. The left shoulder strap is tight on my left forearm as well, more toward wrist than elbow. Once I feel that my arms are ready (they are holding the straps securely while pushing up) I swing her (the waist band is a tad loose) quickly from hip to back. Then I lean forward and tighten the shoulder straps.

I was thinking of doing a YouTube video on this, because it works really well, but is hard to describe.
lifeguard's Avatar lifeguard 12:41 AM 06-06-2010
I do the hip scoot as well.

I buckle the waist strap in place.

Then I put the right shoulder strap on.

Pick up ds on my left hip.

Lean over slightly & reach around my back with my right hand & grab is right ankle while shimmying him under my left arm & onto my back.

Then I pull the left shoulder strap in place

A couple bounces to get everyone settled into place & then I clip the chest strap & tighten everything helps.

Did you get the cd that comes with the ergo? I found that pretty helpful.
Juvysen's Avatar Juvysen 01:12 AM 06-06-2010
I do the way they say on the ergo thing... I think. I put the carrier on my side put baby in the carrier, cross my arms and scoot baby around then slide my arms into the holes. The trick is to leave the waist strap a bit loose and straighten out your shirt before you tighten down. Bounce the baby up off your shirt while you straighten it out. Not sure if that was clear or not. hope that helps...
batsister's Avatar batsister 12:42 AM 06-09-2010
I don't have an Ergo, but figure it is similar with most SSCs and mei tais. When my son was younger, I used the "scoot" method, but now (he is 10.5 months), I just put on the carrier's waist on, lean forward and put him on my back, then pull the carrier up around him. The first few times I did it over a bed or couch, but it gets easier with practice (assuming he is not having a super-squirmy day!).

Good luck!
lotus.blossom's Avatar lotus.blossom 12:56 AM 06-09-2010
Another scooter here! I put the carrier on as if using it on the front, and wrap the sling up and around him. Then I 1-2-3 bounce him as far over to my left hip as possible, grab his arm with my right hand and snake my left arm underneath and back around his bum/back as I shift him to my back. Then I pray the the straps aren't twisted and attach. It really sounds so complicated...... he usually giggles and squirms a lot so I have to be quick. A few bounces as previous posters mentioned and I can straighten my shirt.
luv's Avatar luv 12:21 AM 06-26-2010
I:

1 put waist belt on
2 put left shoulder strap on
3 put baby on right hip
4 reach my left hand through the spot her left leg will come out.
5 hold her left leg to guide it while I scoot her into the seat (I am leaning forward to form a 'table' for her to lean on)
6 when she is mostly in the seat let go over her left leg and move my left hand to her butt
7 use my right hand to pull the right shoulder strap up
8 bounce to make sure all is settled
9 clip chest strap
10 check work in car window reflection

Always try the first few times with a spotter and/or over a soft surface. I can do it now with either my nearly 3yo or 1.5yo in about 30 seconds. We've been doing it .. gee well a very long time.

-C
cchrissyy's Avatar cchrissyy 03:46 AM 06-26-2010
I do the hip scoot. buckle the carrier and it hangs down on my backside. then I lift the child to a hip position, scoot to my back, and pull the carrier up over her. I make sure she's centered on my back, bottom deep in the deat, and put each arm in. the whole thing is over super quick.
Whipple's Avatar Whipple 12:40 PM 06-26-2010
I toss my daughter on my back, it gets some interesting looks from people around who have no idea what I'm doing. I find it easier than waiting for her to hug me, and I can't stand the hip scooting method. My clothes get all messed and I hate having any skin showing (which always manages to happen). So I toss.
coldandsleepy's Avatar coldandsleepy 06:12 PM 06-27-2010
I put him on my front, snap him in, then turn the whole thing around. Once he's on my back, I adjust the straps and my clothing. Used to be a pain, but as I've done it more and more I've gotten really good at it and it's pretty trivial.

I've seen people sort of toss their babies over their shoulder but my son is really really big and I don't think I could even lift him like that.
tbone_kneegrabber's Avatar tbone_kneegrabber 07:01 PM 06-27-2010
I did hip scoot until ds was older.

now I have him stand on something, like up two stairs, or on a chair and then grab his arms and kinda piggyback him and then lean forward and put on the straps.
Or get someone to hold him up for me (ahh I loooove it when there is someone to help)

bff sits on kneels on the ground, puts on one shoulder strap and then has her ds stick his leg through the opening and then gets the other strap on. That doesn't work for me, but it works for her.
aikigypsy's Avatar aikigypsy 09:54 AM 06-28-2010
I started with the hip scoot (from about 7-10 months? maybe longer) and now I toss, but I always started with the carrier just attached at my waist and centered in back, and only scooted the baby, not baby & carrier together. DD is 31 months now, and I hadn't been carrying her much but she got a broken leg a few weeks ago, and it's been very good to have the ergo on hand while she heals up.
MamaPhD's Avatar MamaPhD 03:58 AM 06-30-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv View Post
I:

1 put waist belt on
2 put left shoulder strap on
3 put baby on right hip
4 reach my left hand through the spot her left leg will come out.
5 hold her left leg to guide it while I scoot her into the seat (I am leaning forward to form a 'table' for her to lean on)
6 when she is mostly in the seat let go over her left leg and move my left hand to her butt
7 use my right hand to pull the right shoulder strap up
8 bounce to make sure all is settled
9 clip chest strap
10 check work in car window reflection

Always try the first few times with a spotter and/or over a soft surface. I can do it now with either my nearly 3yo or 1.5yo in about 30 seconds. We've been doing it .. gee well a very long time.

-C

junipervt's Avatar junipervt 04:13 PM 06-30-2010
I do the toss over the shoulder. I've been wearing DD on my back since she was about 6m old (she is 26m now) & she always just clings there like a baby monkey
Up