overwhelmed and frustrated with (lack of) baby wearing, wanting to start - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 06-08-2010, 12:24 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
for some reason figuring out which baby carrier to wear my baby in has always filled me with agitation, feelings of overwhelment and frustration!!!
I have one ds who is 3 months and I mostly have not worn him at all.
the reason for this is that I had a c section birth, and then my back got really hurt. So I was not feeling really able to wear him.
I am now finally feeling strong enough to try.
At any rate I did try some in the last 3 months and this is my experience:
I tried the ring slings and pouch slings and they felt so tight for me and ds and I didn't like them.
I tried the moby and it felt too heavy and too cumbersome and annoying to put on.
I finally got an ergo with an insert for newborns- but the insert felt too big and bulky and way too hot for this time of yr.
I want to try the ergo just plain but I am out of town for a wk and my ergo is at home and I am not sure ds is big enough for it yet- 3 months and maybe 14 lbs or so and not holding his head too strong up yet.

so what to do?
Is a baby hawk better for a little one than an ergo?

I just think there are so many choices I just get overwhelmed! And none of them seem right for me somehow.
I want something light and easy and snug.

I guess I want to try some sort of mei tei only cause the ergo seems too big for ds right now. But would any mei tei feel just as big?
confused!! And btw where I live there aren't any stores where I can go in and try them all out.
#2 of 4 Old 06-08-2010, 12:58 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i am sorry to hear of your struggles! i'm not sure how much help i'll be since i haven't used the ergo but i've used a mei tei (babyhawk) with dd2 since she was about 4 months old. i liked it better than the wrap because it was quicker/easier to take on and off. i can't say that i found it overly bulky for either one of us... i'm 5'6" and i think she was around 15 lbs at that point (but i can't remember for sure!!)
i know you said there is no store to try things on but is there a babywearing group (check www.thebabywearer.com) or another mom you can borrow from??

wife to dh, mama to dd1   june 2007, dd2 march 2009 and dd3 april 2011
#3 of 4 Old 06-08-2010, 04:37 PM

Based on everything you've described, I think a mei tai would be a great fit for you. I find many mei tais to be less overwhelming (mentally and in terms of the amount of fabric that's wrapped around you) and hot than wraps and far less bulky than the Ergo, which is one of the bulkiest buckle carriers, in my opinion.

I'd suggest picking up either a Babyhawk or a Freehand mei tai. I like Freehands myself because they have a tiny bit of stretch to the straps, which lets you get a really nice snug fit; the straps are a bit less bulky and stiff than the BH's straps; and the body is smaller, which is really nice for little babies. You can get them new for around $80 or used for $40-$55 on the FSOT (For Sale or Trade) board on the forums at TheBabyWearer.com (use the "Search This Forum" section and search for "Freehand" or "Babyhawk").

Astrea, mama to my sweet toddler Willow
#4 of 4 Old 06-08-2010, 05:37 PM

here's a freehand on amazon- free shipping and free return shipping so you can try it out and won't be out any costs if it doesnt work.

http://www.amazon.com/Mei-Tai-Baby-C...ef=pd_sbs_ba_1

btw: I tried out Freehand's buckle carrier through amazon as well, since it's a SSC and adapts to infants better, but it was not comfy.. and the infant leg openings cause major ouch and redness.

Katie,  sahm to two wild and crazy guys banana.gif (8/07) and  bouncy.gif (3/10) and their sweet new baby sister baby.gif (4-1-13) 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page