which mei tai?? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 06-09-2010, 04:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So, I'm pretty stoked to get a mei tai. DD is 3.5 months old and probably at least 18lbs (guessing based on what clothes fit) We have loved our cuddly wrap but I am finding 1.) she is a hot baby and summer is coming on and she gets too hot and sweaty and wakes up which brings me to 2.0 she sleeps in it while I bounce her on a yoga ball every single day and my back has begun to get sore no matter how well adjusted with her weight after 1/2 hour to hour. dh has used the ring sling (never worked for me) for the same purpose but she no longer likes it for sleeping, and the ergo is still an iffy fit, she seems to hate it atm. and her legs still seem awkward splayed out yet she won't froggy. Plus it doesn't seem soft enough for sleeping day after day, more of a hiking thing. SO that brings me to mei tais...was alls et to order one but now I realized there are tonsto choose from. So which one, what did ou like and why?

What , in your opinion, would work best for something a baby will be sleeping in everyday for a while? I'm guess extra head support= good. What was most comfortable? I am about size 12 and...140-150 lbs 5'7"...not sure if that matters but if you are similar build and something worked do tell.

crochetsmilie.gif       placenta.gif encapsulated my placenta!   toddler.gif        blogging.jpg          lactivist.gif       familybed1.gif    pos.gif Jan 2012 and planning a hbac.gif!!
#2 of 6 Old 06-09-2010, 04:48 PM - Thread Starter

ok now I see the pikkolo and I'm more confused... dd loves to face out as well..is it possible tofind a carrier that does it all? would that be comfortable enough for sleeping? (not facin out but a buckle carrier like pikkolo?)...new additional question.. for my puposes a babyhawk, another type of mei tai, beco, pikkolo?

crochetsmilie.gif       placenta.gif encapsulated my placenta!   toddler.gif        blogging.jpg          lactivist.gif       familybed1.gif    pos.gif Jan 2012 and planning a hbac.gif!!
#3 of 6 Old 06-10-2010, 02:49 PM

If you want one carrier that does it all, you have to wait a bit. The Beco Gemini isn't out yet, but should be soon. (So "they" say.)

As far as sleeping goes, my guys have slept comfortably in ring slings, mei tais and SSCs, so again, I think it comes down to your baby and what position your DD will sleep in.

As far as which mei tai is best, it totally depends on the user and the baby. Some mamas love them and find them super comfy for front or back carries.

I had a babyhawk that I loved for front carries when DS1 was between 2-10 months, but after that it just became uncomfortable. I preferred the Ergo for back carries, the padded shoulder straps were SO much more comfy than the straps of the mei tai, so my Babyhawk didn't get very much use after that.

Is there a local babywearing chapter near you? It's a great way to try different carriers to see how they feel before you make a purchase. Our local chapter focuses on a specific carrier each month, but there are always a variety of carriers available at each meeting.
#4 of 6 Old 06-12-2010, 04:31 PM

I like the Babyhawk more than my kozy. I thought I liked the kozy better but changed my mind LOL not sure what it is. i'm not at all interested in structured carriers like the ergo. Just looks like a pain to me.

Unassisted birthing, atheist, poly, bi WOHM to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wes (14) Seth (7) Pandora Moonlilly (2) and Nevermore Stargazer (11/2012)  Married to awesome SAH DH.

#5 of 6 Old 06-13-2010, 12:34 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
yeah, in my limited experience so far I think you just have to try them out to see what works for you. Is there somewhere you can find to do that? Or find different people you know who have various ones and try them out with your baby in it. It is like clothing or like anything- different people like different things.
I like the babyhawk (just got it 2 days ago!!) for my 3 month old. I may like the Ergo when he is bigger.
Good luck!
#6 of 6 Old 06-13-2010, 11:56 PM

I really like my babyhawk (well it is a toddler hawk ...my DS has always been big he just turned 3 and is 45 lbs...and still rides in the toddler hawk.). It is floppy yet supportive and can be work on the back or front or side... but with any MT you will be successful beacause they are fully adjustable. DS took to it as easy as I did...

Got any idea what to do with a 3 year old with endless energy when it hits 115?? Let me know.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page