The cost of babywearing - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-10-2010, 07:09 PM - Thread Starter
 
busymama77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,103
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Why do BBII's cost almost twice as much as an ABC and they look almost identical? And Pikkolo's look similar as well and Oh Snaps, but the Oh Snaps they recommend that your baby be a little older, like 6 months or so. It's just all so confusing when you're shopping for the right one!

One happy mama to 1/06 , 3/10 , and married to my best friend
busymama77 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 06-10-2010, 10:01 PM
 
Ravin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Atenveldt
Posts: 5,848
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
If you want to save money, I suggest making a carrier for yourself.

breastfeeding, babywearing, homeschooling Heathen parent to my little Wanderer, 7 1/2 , and baby Elf-stone, 3/11!

Ravin is offline  
Old 06-10-2010, 10:45 PM
 
crunchy_mommy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 6,460
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just bought about 5yds of no-fray fabric & cut it in half vertically & viola! 2 wraps for total $10.

Co-sleeping is really wonderful when your child actually SLEEPS!! familybed1.gif
crunchy_mommy is offline  
Old 06-11-2010, 12:01 PM
 
Carrruth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 138
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
There are actually a lot of differences between those carriers, but they are all soft structured carrier (aka buckle carriers) so they all have similar qualities. I know it can be frustrating to sort through all the kinds of carriers out there! If you are really lucky, you may be able to find a babywearing group near you where you can go and try different carriers. Otherwise, you just have to read, read, read and see what people say about each kind. I'll try to help a bit with the few you mentioned.

The Action Baby Carrier (ABC) is a great carrier at a great value. They are simple well made carriers, but don't have some of the bells and whistles that more expensive carriers have. Their padding isn't as thick as on some carriers which is a plus to some people depending on your personal preference.

The biggest difference with the Beco is that is comes with an infant insert and an internal harness that allows you to securely put baby in before putting the carrier on. Some people really like this since it can make doing a back carrier easier for them, although some people don't like the harness at all. Again, it comes down to personal preference.

The Oh Snap is designed with a longer body which makes it too big to use with most babies under 6 months and even some older babies that are on the smaller size. This carrier is targeted more towards older babies and toddlers. It is a really great toddler carrier and you can easily and comfortable use one with a child 2+ years old. That being said, it is also one of the bulkier carriers available and the padding is really thick, which makes it more comfortable, but also more bulky/heavy.

Probably the best place to start is trying to decide what your needs are. Do you have a newborn or an older baby? Is your baby big or petite? Do you plan to use this carrier through toddlerhood or will you get another one down the road? Also, you want to consider your size. Some carriers have a better fit for one body type or the other. So if you are petite or extra fluffy, there are different carriers that may work best for you.

Sorry if I am just making it more complicated!!! Just ask lots of questions. People are happy to tell you what worked well for them and can recommend brands that may also be good for you! Good luck!!!

Ruth, mama to 2 little monkeys and owner of Zerberts
Helping you find the perfect baby carrier! Risk Free Shopping and FREE SHIPPING!
Carrruth is offline  
Old 06-11-2010, 01:10 PM - Thread Starter
 
busymama77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,103
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrruth View Post
There are actually a lot of differences between those carriers, but they are all soft structured carrier (aka buckle carriers) so they all have similar qualities. I know it can be frustrating to sort through all the kinds of carriers out there! If you are really lucky, you may be able to find a babywearing group near you where you can go and try different carriers. Otherwise, you just have to read, read, read and see what people say about each kind. I'll try to help a bit with the few you mentioned.

The Action Baby Carrier (ABC) is a great carrier at a great value. They are simple well made carriers, but don't have some of the bells and whistles that more expensive carriers have. Their padding isn't as thick as on some carriers which is a plus to some people depending on your personal preference.

The biggest difference with the Beco is that is comes with an infant insert and an internal harness that allows you to securely put baby in before putting the carrier on. Some people really like this since it can make doing a back carrier easier for them, although some people don't like the harness at all. Again, it comes down to personal preference.

The Oh Snap is designed with a longer body which makes it too big to use with most babies under 6 months and even some older babies that are on the smaller size. This carrier is targeted more towards older babies and toddlers. It is a really great toddler carrier and you can easily and comfortable use one with a child 2+ years old. That being said, it is also one of the bulkier carriers available and the padding is really thick, which makes it more comfortable, but also more bulky/heavy.

Probably the best place to start is trying to decide what your needs are. Do you have a newborn or an older baby? Is your baby big or petite? Do you plan to use this carrier through toddlerhood or will you get another one down the road? Also, you want to consider your size. Some carriers have a better fit for one body type or the other. So if you are petite or extra fluffy, there are different carriers that may work best for you.

Sorry if I am just making it more complicated!!! Just ask lots of questions. People are happy to tell you what worked well for them and can recommend brands that may also be good for you! Good luck!!!
Wow - thank you for all of the info, mama! I guess maybe I should post a thread about all of my particulars and see if there's a few mamas out there that are in the same boat as me.

One happy mama to 1/06 , 3/10 , and married to my best friend
busymama77 is offline  
Old 06-11-2010, 08:29 PM
 
GoGoGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 685
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Have you looked at TheBabyWearer? They have a "for sale or trade" forum with really great deals. It takes a while to wade through the posts if you don't know all the abbreviations, but I think it's definitely worth it.

Mama lady to my lady baby born 3/09 on the kitchen floor.  Looking forward to seeing which room's floor the next one will be born on in October.  love.gif
GoGoGirl is offline  
Old 06-12-2010, 11:38 PM - Thread Starter
 
busymama77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,103
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoGoGirl View Post
Have you looked at TheBabyWearer? They have a "for sale or trade" forum with really great deals. It takes a while to wade through the posts if you don't know all the abbreviations, but I think it's definitely worth it.
Yes, I'm on there just as much as I'm on MDC. I'm watching a couple right now - a couple of APLX, but no BBII's. But we'll see.

One happy mama to 1/06 , 3/10 , and married to my best friend
busymama77 is offline  
Old 06-13-2010, 12:46 AM
 
atpeace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 860
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchy_mommy View Post
I just bought about 5yds of no-fray fabric & cut it in half vertically & viola! 2 wraps for total $10.
I used this "pattern" as well, and LOVED my no-sew wraps with DD. I'm doing the same thing with the next little one. Amazing how so little money and such simplicity can yield one of the most used and loved baby items ever! OP, here's the "pattern" in case you want more info.

A + J = Miriam (November 2006) and Raymond (June 2010)
atpeace is offline  
Old 06-16-2010, 11:37 PM
 
mamadelbosque's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Ohio, USA
Posts: 6,810
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm a long-time MT lover and user, but have been thinking I'd like a SSC for a long time. I bought an ergo a couple months ago and I'm not a fan (the body is just *WAY* too short, IMO - I feel like Ds2 is about to fall out...). So, I have it (along w/ a couple other carriers up for sale...

Anyhow, I think if I manage to sell one more of my current carriers, I'm going to pick up another SSC to try - I just can't decide which one! I'm currently leaning towards the Boba but I keep looking at the Oh Snap! and Beco too... I just can't decide!!
mamadelbosque is offline  
Old 06-17-2010, 01:39 AM
 
annethcz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: on the beautiful prairie of MN
Posts: 9,825
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I think babywearing is like anything else in life- you can do it cheaply or expensively... or anything inbetween! Yes there are differences between carriers, but honestly, chances are that whatever you choose will work for you. And if it doesn't, it's not too hard (or too expensive) to try something different.

I wore my kids when they were babies, and it was great for us, despite the fact that what was popular 10 years ago is not popular now. Yes, do your research, but once you've done that, pick something and most likely, it will work out for you.

New signature, same old me: Ann- mama of 2 boys and 2 girls, partnered to a fabulous man.
I'm an unintentional weasel feeder and I suck at proofreading.
annethcz is offline  
Old 06-17-2010, 02:07 PM
 
ellairiesmom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Back Where It All Began...Frankford Twp, NJ
Posts: 1,014
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
yes to what carruth said...you need to factor in the use. ssc's or mt's with a more padded waist really do make a difference when wearing a heavier baby or a toddler for a long period of time.

like anything else you get into, bw'ing can become an obsession. you end up "collecting" carriers. as you probably see over at TBW.

bw'ing meetings are great for trying out carriers but they can be hard to find. and some places do have great stores (NYC's Metro Minis is an example) where there are more popular carriers to see in person & learn etc.

i found that i learned a bunch after wearing dd1 & applied that to my needs/interests with dd2. i also took a certification course for basic bw'ing consulting & that changed my take on different carriers & carries too.

i know this doesn't help you make a decision-sorry! but it's just one of those things that no one can really say...i can tell you my favorite things about my favorite carriers along with what i found i hated but the next person could totally disagree with me.

i will say this-based on my experiences-
for a baby/infant or really small 12-18 mo, i think a babyhawk MT is a great investment. they are reasonable & easily accessible while still allowing for some great fabric/style choices. they can be cinched easily in the seat to allow for a baby to have legs out sooner. that being said, i found other MT's i tried later on & liked better because i prefer a little padding or structure to my waist & straps to ease the load a little. right now my favorite asian style carrier for our 4 mo is a custom carrier 1/2 buckle called a kanga j (im sure you have read about them over at TBW) kirsten does something fantastic with her waist that just works for me. i have a kanga xt ssc for dd1 & she feels weightless in it.

as for making a carrier yourself-if it's a wrap & your baby is still small/light, great. but if you don't know what you are doing with a sewing machine, i wouldn't suggest trying to make any sort of mt or ssc (which is what it sounds like you are looking for)...especially once baby is bigger. i just don't think it's worth an injury due to a weak seem or something like that. maybe i'm just a nervous nelly though???

pricing is one of those things...it reminds me of jeans-so many cuts, so many styles & prices so different. but keep in mind that a shop like babyhawk has a sew team that can crank out many carriers each day therefore making theirs more affordable. some of the smaller makers or wahm shops do everything themselves making those carriers harder to crank out, more unique/customized & therefore more $. all are excellent carriers made based on real babywearing experience & feedback.

i read 100's of reviews in the review section before purchasing my 1st carrier after my original babyhawk. i really dig the review section of tbw.

Stephanie~hippie.gifwife to Dov, mama to Ella Irie (9/24/07) & Kaya Raine (2/1/10)~our vbac.gifbaby, born 45 hours after PROM!!!
ellairiesmom is offline  
Old 06-17-2010, 02:15 PM
 
sarahdavida's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Lima, Peru
Posts: 167
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am a Beco fan...I bought one (BBI), even though it was more money than I probably should have spent at the time - my friedn highly recommended it. DS was already 1 y.o. - I couldn´t wear him before because of too many sensitive breast complications...I am a pretty picky person - particularly when spending a good amount of money and I have to say that I felt the Beco was worth every penny - very happy with it - totally comfortable.

I would have hated to spend even 1/2 the money on a carrier I wasn´t completely satisfied with...

I know this is not the most "financially responsible" suggestion, but i just thought I´d give my opinion on the Beco...

madre de Mathias http://www.primaryimmune.org http://www.michaeljfox.org
sarahdavida is offline  
Old 06-18-2010, 06:36 PM
 
Asiago's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 1,805
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
The Beco Butterfly I that I have is the most comfortable of all my carriers, however I have a great deal of difficulty nursing in it. The 'v' is forever covering my breast, I have to try to hold it out of the way and balance my son as he nurses (due to having to unbuckle the one side to nurse). Maybe the BB II is easier to nurse in (?)
Asiago is online now  
Old 06-18-2010, 06:39 PM
 
MsVyky's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 1,270
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I haven't attempted nursing in my BB2 yet. Maybe if DH would SHARE every once in a while, LOL

tea6.gifStudent mama to Lyra June loveeyes.gif (ribboncesarean.gif 10.24.09)  and Olive Isis love.gif  (vbac.gif12.12.11) 

MsVyky is offline  
 
User Tag List

Thread Tools


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off