Moby Safety - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 06-12-2010, 09:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have been wearing DD who id 3.5 weeks in a Moby for several days and I love it. Today DH was reading through the instructions that came with it and is concerned about her safety. His concern mainly had to do with the warning about keeping her chin off her chest. Without much head control at this stage of development her chin does tend to touch her chest. I am always careful that she is breathing easily and the angle of her head isn't extreme--do I need to take other precautions? I am not sure how to get her positioned in it without her head coming forward like it does . . .

M :, wife to P :, Proud new mama to N
#2 of 16 Old 06-12-2010, 10:17 PM

Check this blog entry out. I found the cartoon-ish illustration with the check mark and C pretty helpful.

Personally I didn't feel like I could tell when DD's chin was ok or not in a cradle carry so I stuck to the tummy to tummy holds (I think Moby calls it a hug hold)

Kristy, wife to Josh proud mama to Katie: since 3/08 and Emma since 8/12.

#3 of 16 Old 06-12-2010, 10:42 PM

I'm no expert, but I definitely preferred the tummy to tummy hold. It's so comfy and easy. That's what my midwife recommended with my first baby. I think it's really difficult to get a cradle hold right when they are so little and floppy...i think that works better closer to the 2nd month. My sond (9 months now) I never was able to get the cradle hold comfortable for me or him...we just stuck with tummy to tummy and now he's big enough for wearing on my hip in a RS. I still wear him on my front in the Ergo now.
#4 of 16 Old 06-12-2010, 11:26 PM

I would also recommend skipping the cradle hold at this stage and using an upright, tummy to tummy position instead. In this position your body will essentially make a wall so that she won't be able to fall chin to chest. Just make sure you tie the Moby snug, so that she has good back support.

*mama to c 2/2000, v 2/2004, p 9/2006, and h 12/2012*

one of the mamas behind BeanTreeBaby.com ...Gear for Growing Families!

#5 of 16 Old 06-13-2010, 02:40 PM

I was afraid to use the cradle hold, so I used the newborn hug hold so my baby could listen to my heartbeat.

Wife to DH (11/93) and mom to DS (11/09). gd.gifbfinfant.giffamilybed1.gifcd.gifsigncirc1.gifsaynovax.gifslingboy.gif
#6 of 16 Old 06-13-2010, 09:54 PM

I also skipped the cradle hold. I used a modified kangaroo hold that had him facing sideways. He wouldn't let me do a tummy to tummy hold with him until he was about 4 mos.

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

#7 of 16 Old 06-15-2010, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerlin View Post
I was afraid to use the cradle hold, so I used the newborn hug hold so my baby could listen to my heartbeat.
ditto

: and 3 dd's (5, 4, 17 mos) and anticipating Michaela Skye (after my late daddy Michael.) May 26th 2010
#8 of 16 Old 06-15-2010, 02:33 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Another no cradle hold mama here. I don't feel comfortable with it at all. Wrap her like you would hold her, tummy-to-tummy, and she should be okay. Just make sure no fabric is in front of her face.
#9 of 16 Old 06-21-2010, 03:28 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Thank you so much for starting this thread. We've been having the same issue with our 4 week old DS and the Moby. When I put him in the cradle hold I'm really careful to prop him as upright as possible, but my DH isn't, and he also feels unconcerned as we can hear the baby breathing. However, it worries me to see him head all scrunched up to him like that. Maybe we'll try to use only the hug hold for another month.
I wonder, though, has anyone used a towel / pre-fold somehow rolled under their neck or butt (to make more upright) with any luck? I was thinking to try this....

Mama since 2010
Multicultural living in Europe
#10 of 16 Old 06-21-2010, 05:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fruitfulmomma View Post
Another no cradle hold mama here. I don't feel comfortable with it at all. Wrap her like you would hold her, tummy-to-tummy, and she should be okay. Just make sure no fabric is in front of her face.
Ditto!

mama to DD9, coolshine.gif DS7 bouncy.gif and DD1.luxlove.gif

#11 of 16 Old 06-21-2010, 05:31 AM

Here is a pic of me wearing DD, I think she was about 8 weeks or so in this pic. She never liked her legs froggied up, so I pulled them thru. This was the only way we survived the evenings. I'd put her in, walk/bounce her for a few mins, and she'd crash out.
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/10...melia8w007.jpg
and
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/10...melia8w005.jpg

mama to DD9, coolshine.gif DS7 bouncy.gif and DD1.luxlove.gif

#12 of 16 Old 06-27-2010, 07:11 PM

Cradle holds in any sling or carrier freak me out, so I just use upright carries in the moby wrap.

Sarah, with 3.5 yo DD Charlotte + brand new baby Eleanor Jane April 28, 2010
#13 of 16 Old 06-28-2010, 12:37 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
We just use tummy to tummy with our nearly 6 week old too. She wouldn't tolerate the craddle hold in our pouch slings so we didn't even try with the Moby.

MangoMommy thank you for posting those pics. I am going to try popping J's legs out next time I put her in the Moby, I think she'll be much happier like that.

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

#14 of 16 Old 06-28-2010, 01:03 AM

We used the cradle hold amost exclusivley until DD was 2 months. Now that its hot outside it seems like shes more into postions where she can have more skin exposed, but I never noticed a problem. I kept a good eye on her, and she LOVED being held that way.

Holly and David partners.gif

Adaline love.gif (3/20/10), and Charlie brokenheart.gif (1/26/12- 4/10/12) and our identical  rainbow1284.gif  twins Callie and Wendy (01/04/13)

SIDS happens. 

#15 of 16 Old 07-02-2010, 03:49 AM
Banned

DD insisted on T2T so it wasn't an issue. I would still obsess over her breathing, but with her like that I just had to stop and focus on her and feel her breath
#16 of 16 Old 07-02-2010, 03:51 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MangoMommy View Post
Here is a pic of me wearing DD, I think she was about 8 weeks or so in this pic. She never liked her legs froggied up, so I pulled them thru. This was the only way we survived the evenings. I'd put her in, walk/bounce her for a few mins, and she'd crash out.
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/10...melia8w007.jpg
and
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/10...melia8w005.jpg
My DD also wanted her legs out from an early age! Took me a while to figure that out The adjustable MTBs worked well, too. But I love a good stretchy wrap for a tiny one!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page