ergo buckle came apart - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 06-13-2010, 12:19 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Something troubling happened the other day and has been worrying me.....
I have an Ergo that I bought (used) 3 years ago. Used it on my son daily, and now am using it on DS2 (11 mos).

We were strawberry picking last week and I put DS in it, like I have done a million times. I buckled it on my waist, slid it over to my hip, and then put him in and started to slide him around to my back - at that point, the waist buckle let loose and he started to fall. Luckily another person was nearby and I asked for help, and he grabbed my baby for me because I was very close to dropping him. I picked up the carrier and the strap had come loose from the plastic buckle. Nothing was broken, it just came un-threaded. Now I am large and so the buckle is on the largest setting - with only an inch or so of overhang. So apparently when I was sliding the carrier around on my waist, it was enough pressure to pull the strap all the way through!

I can't understand why this happened NOW, after I have done this many many MANY times before! In fact, I am smaller now than I was when I used this carrier for my first son - and even though the belt is extended almost completely - it is not too tight on my waist, it does slip around a bit and otherwise does not feel like I need the extender - but if it's a safety issue......?

Has this happened to anyone before? I have been using it since then, but not on my back again because I am too scared!

Amanda , mama to my two boys: N (10/06) and : A (7/09)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 06-13-2010, 02:29 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Do you have the belt extender? Maybe that would give you the extra strap length so it isn't so easy for it to unthread.

Do you always put the little elastic thing over the buckle (I admit I do not)?

Surviving sleep deprivation one day at a time with dd (Oct '11) & ds (Oct '08).

#3 of 4 Old 06-13-2010, 02:06 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Oh how scary! I'm glad that your DS wasn't hurt. I don't have an ERGO myself - I just purchased a BOBA. Perhaps you could call the manufacturer and tell them what happened. In any case, I'm just so glad that your DS wasn't hurt.

Wife to DH (11/93) and mom to DS (11/09). gd.gifbfinfant.giffamilybed1.gifcd.gifsigncirc1.gifsaynovax.gifslingboy.gif
#4 of 4 Old 06-16-2010, 06:37 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'd call them and ask what you should do.

Jenna ~ mommy to Sophia Elise idea.gif  (1/06), Oliver Matthew  blahblah.gif (7/07) and Avery Michael fly-by-nursing1.gif(3/10)

dizzy.gif Wading slowly and nervously into this homeschooling thing.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page