Which carrier to use for walking in the parade? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-13-2010, 12:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am marching in the pride parade today with my little peanut. It is for several blocks long in the heat, and then there is an indoor/outdoor festival and rally. I plan on bringing a little umbrella stroller, but will probably hold her most of the day. Rosy is almost 6 months old and just started hating being carried facing in, so that leaves she needs to be on my front facing out, hip, or on my back. I have a ringsling, a moby, a mei tai, a pouch sling, and an evenflo carrier that can be worn on the back. I want something she will feel cozy and comfortable so she can snooze if she wants to, but something I'll be comfy in for long periods of time too. I don't find a hip carry comfy for either of us, the mei tai might be too hot, and I never mastered the facing out carry with her legs kangaroo'ed so I want something that won't be bad for her hips/spine with her legs dangling out. I'm leaning towards the moby or the evenflo, but never used the moby with her, not sure if she would be too heavy now, if she could stretch it out...Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-13-2010, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Channelle View Post
I am marching in the pride parade today with my little peanut. It is for several blocks long in the heat, and then there is an indoor/outdoor festival and rally. I plan on bringing a little umbrella stroller, but will probably hold her most of the day. Rosy is almost 6 months old and just started hating being carried facing in, so that leaves she needs to be on my front facing out, hip, or on my back. I have a ringsling, a moby, a mei tai, a pouch sling, and an evenflo carrier that can be worn on the back. I want something she will feel cozy and comfortable so she can snooze if she wants to, but something I'll be comfy in for long periods of time too. I don't find a hip carry comfy for either of us, the mei tai might be too hot, and I never mastered the facing out carry with her legs kangaroo'ed so I want something that won't be bad for her hips/spine with her legs dangling out. I'm leaning towards the moby or the evenflo, but never used the moby with her, not sure if she would be too heavy now, if she could stretch it out...Any suggestions?
For that long a period I would lean towards the mei tei for a backcarry. DD would still sleep that way, and she could see everything.

wife of 8 years to DH geek.gif, mama to DD blahblah.gif (2006) & DS jog.gif (2011) angel1.gif (Dec. 2012) rainbow1284.gif due Nov. 2013 

vbac.gifh20homebirth.gif cd.gif homeschool.gif

Old 06-13-2010, 01:17 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks! I'm not sure if I was aware that the mei tai could back carry. Our mei tai has top lined in black furry, do you think it would be too hot for being outside for a little while? It's about 90 degrees today...
Old 06-13-2010, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Channelle View Post
Thanks! I'm not sure if I was aware that the mei tai could back carry. Our mei tai has top lined in black furry, do you think it would be too hot for being outside for a little while? It's about 90 degrees today...
Goodness a hot day for both of you! I'm really not sure, the moby would still be quite warm as well though(and depending on how heavy your DD is it might stretch to much).

I don't think the moby works as well for a forward facing out carry, and the mei tei was always our go-to carrier for long stretches of time (generally using it for a back carry).

Sorry I can't offer more assistance, I hope you both find something comfy to use!

wife of 8 years to DH geek.gif, mama to DD blahblah.gif (2006) & DS jog.gif (2011) angel1.gif (Dec. 2012) rainbow1284.gif due Nov. 2013 

vbac.gifh20homebirth.gif cd.gif homeschool.gif

Old 06-13-2010, 01:27 PM - Thread Starter

That's ok and thanks! I think I might just bring a couple different ones, and change if I see fit!
Old 06-13-2010, 01:41 PM

I generally find back carries more comfy heat-wise than front carries, not to mention more ergonomic for the parent esp. compared to a front facing out carry. I would ordinarily vote for the mei tai, but if it's minkee lined it will be hotter....I don't know enough about the Evenflo to comment on that one but if it's comfortable for both of you that would probably be my pick. I think you will absolutely roast to death in the Moby.

Come visit the NEW QuirkyBaby website -- earn QB Bucks rewards points for purchases, reviews, referrals, and more! Free US shipping on great brands of baby slings and carriers and FREE BabyLegs or babywearing mirror on orders of $100+. Take the QB Quiz for personalized advice!

Old 06-16-2010, 01:37 AM

I used a ton of different carries my kids but the last one I used was a mei tai Baby Hawk and that is what we were using occasionally when it came time for our last big family trip to the world.I would ordinarily vote for the mei tai,but if it's minkee lined it will be hotter.I don't know enough about the Evenflo to comment on that one but if it's comfortable for both of you that would probably be my pick.

Mistakes are the portals of discovery
Old 06-17-2010, 05:00 PM

Bother, you've already done the parade. Next time you need to wear your LO out in the sun on a hot day, get a cute umbrella and carry it for shade.

User Tag List