A woven wrap or beco/ergo? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 06-13-2010, 07:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I need another carrier, for summer and back carries and a thinking either a woven wrap(I've been loving the Moby) or a soft carrier. Close enough price-wise but my babe is 4mos and almost 16 lbs, what is the best in the long run? I need to use it for everything and chasing my 4yo DS around... any help is great! Thanks in advance
#2 of 5 Old 06-15-2010, 01:29 PM

For comfort and longer periods of wearing babe I love, love, love my woven wrap. I haven't figured out how to do a back carry yet though. It is by far the most comfortable carrier I own though.
I have an Ergo and a Beco also. I don't find my Beco as user friendly as the ERgo and I don't find is as comfortable as the Ergo. It's not a carrier I would recommend at all but I know others who love it. My Ergo is great for getting him to sleep in and then transfering him out b/c I just need to undo one clip and he's out whereas with the Beco it's a bit trickier to get him out and with the wrap it's also not as smooth (for me anyway).
My recos are a woven wrap or an Ergo or both if your budget allows it.
#3 of 5 Old 06-15-2010, 03:14 PM

A carrier that distributes the baby's weight on both shoulders...that was the ticket for me with my babies...especially middle guy who was just huge and heavy.

For comfort wearing my favorite was my Kozy (mei tai) wrap. I loved that it was all cloth, no buckles. And I could start using it pretty much immediately. My 3rd baby started riding in the Kozy at about 3 weeks old (with legs frogged up.)

For ease of getting baby on my back without additional adult assistance my fave was the Ergo. But I didn't find the Ergo as comfortable, overall, as the Kozy.

So for baby number 3 I had:
~ homemade ring slings (one cotton, one solarveil)
~ homemade moby wrap
~ custom made Kozy
~ Ergo

And they each had different uses. But if I could have only gotten one, it would have been the Kozy.

Maryhippie.gif

#4 of 5 Old 06-17-2010, 02:30 AM

I adore my woven wrap (homemade by a dear friend of mine) and think it's absolutely the greatest and most comfortable thing to carry my very heavy little guy (26ish lbs at 8.5months) in.

However, I absolutely cannot get my son into a back carry in it. He's just TOO heavy and I'm too clumsy. I've been able to do it with a second person helping me but that's not practical for me usually.

In contrast, I find it very easy to get my big guy onto my back with the Ergo and while it's not as comfortable, it's comfortable enough.

I also find that now that he's older and likes to get up and down frequently, the Ergo's a little bit easier... I don't have to take it off/retie it to get him in and out. I don't actually even snap and unsnap it.

I love them both, but they both have pros and cons!

Mother of two great little guys, G (9/28/09) and W (1/20/12)

#5 of 5 Old 06-17-2010, 11:20 PM

Have to chime in... I adore my woven wrap. I don't have an Ergo/soft structured carrier, but I do have several other types and my woven wrap has been used THE MOST for all my kids. It was my first carrier and I never really improved upon it. I love a pouch for a quick jaunt into the store or something, but overall, my woven wrap is my fave. I made it myself, too, for cheap.

slinggirl.gif  Melissa: wife todh_malesling.GIF, mama to 5 dear children grouphug.gif and remembering Matthias angel2.gif (8.9.05 - 8.10.05)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page