Ring sling tail--am I doing this right? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 06-14-2010, 06:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I got a ring sling at a stoop sale a few days before my son was born. The company that made it is no longer producing slings and the instructional PDF I found online is garbled at a crucial step.

From what I understand, ring slings generally have an outer rail, an inner rail, and a tail, wherein the rails are the loops of fabric in which a baby is held. If I assemble this sling with two loops that hit me at waist level and with both of them being adjustable at the rings, the tail still stretches from my shoulder to the floor (I'm 5'6"). Am I doing something wrong? Should there be a third loop? Is there something else I'm supposed to do with all this fabric in the tail? I'd tie it up around the rings some more to keep from tripping on it, but the sheer amount of fabric left there makes me worry that I'm overlooking something somehow.

My son will be three weeks old tomorrow and I've been looking up instructions online for newborn carries in ring slings, but I'm a little wavery about trying to use this sling because it feels so loosely stretchy and I'm still nervous about positioning his head well.

Elated mom to Elliott (5/25/10)
#2 of 7 Old 06-14-2010, 08:51 PM

hey mama. from reading your description i think you actually might have the ultimate baby wrap made by parents of invention, not the ring sling. they are two different types of carriers and you will put them on and use them differently.
check it out here- http://www.parentsofinvention.com/ubw-product.htm and definitely watch the video. does that seem more like what you have? even when wrapped properly you may have some fabric left over, and that's ok. as long as it's on snug and tied the right way, it is safe.

*mama to c 2/2000, v 2/2004, p 9/2006, and h 12/2012*

one of the mamas behind BeanTreeBaby.com ...Gear for Growing Families!

#3 of 7 Old 06-14-2010, 09:13 PM

I agree it sounds like the Ultimate Baby Wrap. Is it long (5 or 6 yards) and stretchy jersey material? If it is, look at the instructions for the moby they're basically the same thing. I had one and I found the rings mostly useless (they always slipped and allowed the wrap to loosen) and just tied the ends in a knot. Here we are wearing it. DD is around 2 months there and that's what moby calls a "hug hold."

In a ring sling the rails are the edges of the fabric that forms the pouch where the baby is held. The tail is the part of the fabric that has passed through the rings and is pulled for tightening. A ring sling, un-threaded is usually 2-3 yards long. For ring sling instructions I like the videos by Zolowear on youtube

Kristy, wife to Josh proud mama to Katie: since 3/08 and Emma since 8/12.

#4 of 7 Old 06-14-2010, 09:56 PM - Thread Starter

That...makes so much more sense. You're right. I feel dumb now. But very much appreciate the correction!

Elated mom to Elliott (5/25/10)
#5 of 7 Old 06-14-2010, 10:17 PM

don't feel dumb. the rings on that wrap are kinda out of place! i can totally see how you'd think it was a ring sling.

*mama to c 2/2000, v 2/2004, p 9/2006, and h 12/2012*

one of the mamas behind BeanTreeBaby.com ...Gear for Growing Families!

#6 of 7 Old 06-15-2010, 11:50 AM

Don't feel dumb. You were smart enough to figure out the something wasn't right and ask for help. The rings on the UBW are weird and I can see how they'd confuse you.

Kristy, wife to Josh proud mama to Katie: since 3/08 and Emma since 8/12.

#7 of 7 Old 06-16-2010, 05:30 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm considering cutting the rings off mine and then just making a ring sling w/them It's pretty decent if you follow moby directions, though - the UBW instructions don't have you spread the fabric wide under baby and is less comfortable, imo...

Jenna ~ mommy to Sophia Elise idea.gif  (1/06), Oliver Matthew  blahblah.gif (7/07) and Avery Michael fly-by-nursing1.gif(3/10)

dizzy.gif Wading slowly and nervously into this homeschooling thing.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page