Disney in July - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-17-2010, 12:04 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We're going to Disney next month, when DD2 will be 4 months old. I mostly wear her in my Babyhawk, although I do use a pouch sometimes. Haven't gotten back into my Maya Wrap, although I did use it quite a bit with DD1.

My question is: will babe and I be comfortable with the Babyhawk in that heat?Or, is it going to be too hot for babywearing? We will take a stroller, too, for carrying stuff, for the occasional rest for DD1 (5) and for DD2 to stretch out in if she wants, but I still would like to wear her, especially on rides.

Thoughts?

Stacey teaching teens to read & write... Daddy plays ska, DD1 (7/05) loves trees & princesses, & DD2 (3/10) loves mommy-milk! Please get your kids tested for lead.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-17-2010, 09:46 AM

We went in early September last year, and I'm not going to lie. It was HOT. I wore DS in the ergo most of the time (he was almost 9 months) and was able to get short breaks with him in the stroller because there was so much going on to distract him from the fact that he was in a stroller. I just accepted that we were going to be constantly drenched in sweat. The lines for rides are covered, and some are inside. Many of the rides have a/c once you get in them, and there are plenty of places to go inside and get breaks from the heat. If you have a gauze wrap of some kind that might be more comfortable than the babyhawk.
Old 06-19-2010, 11:08 PM

We live in Florida and wore DS out and about (including to the Disney parks) in the spring. But in the summer we hide indoors in the A/C. We bought a Connecta Solarweave to use when we have to go outside, but we avoid it as much as possible.

It will be HOT. Terribly hot. Hang out in the stores for the A/C. Take advantage of the baby care stations and the nursing rooms. I've actually held DD for a nap in the nursing room because it was cool, dark, and quiet.

Jen, former sys admin and current geek , wife to DH , SAHM and Montessori homeschool teacher to DD "Nugget" (05/07) and new arrival DS "Sprout" (03/31/10)
Old 06-22-2010, 12:05 AM

It's scathingly hot out right now. I would definitely plan to use the stroller, but beware the endless stroller parking lots!

I doubt the "Cast Members" will let you wear your child on the rides.

I don't do Disney anymore, or any theme parks for that matter. I get too angry. The last time I was there it was so crowded, I saw women sitting on the ground nursing their children because there was no place else to sit. It was ridiculous.

Darla dishes.gif Jimguitar.gif Wrenflower.gif Papahat.gif Grandma dog2.gifNana Anne jumpers.gif & the Great Cosmic Mimi om.gif
3 houses - 2 blocks in the old neighborhood = 1 eclectic/traditional tribe!
Old 06-22-2010, 01:58 AM

I wore DD in a babyhawk all last summer (sometimes for hours when it was in the 90s), and we did ok. It was much cooler than any wrap I tried (even guaze) because there's just that one panel, instead of swaths of fabric.

Mama lady to my lady baby born 3/09 on the kitchen floor.  Looking forward to seeing which room's floor the next one will be born on in October.  love.gif
Old 06-22-2010, 02:00 AM

We're doing Disney in July also and I'm from Central Florida originally and am hitting myself for going there when it's so hot! But it's our only option this year. I second that it's going to be roasting. I would definitely figure out the option that will keep you all coolest. Maybe take one of those mini hand held battery operated fans so you can get a breeze for the two of you while babywearing. Good luck.

homebirth.jpgMama to 4 girls and forever missing Bright 6/12/10. Married to my best friend and dreaming of the day we leave the city for chicken3.gif
Old 06-22-2010, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaBorn View Post
It's scathingly hot out right now. I would definitely plan to use the stroller, but beware the endless stroller parking lots!

I doubt the "Cast Members" will let you wear your child on the rides.

I don't do Disney anymore, or any theme parks for that matter. I get too angry. The last time I was there it was so crowded, I saw women sitting on the ground nursing their children because there was no place else to sit. It was ridiculous.
We've worn 2 kids on many rides and never had a problem.

Here's our newest on the Pooh ride at barely a month old:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/femgeek/4579944822/

I've nursed the kids everywhere (even on Pirates of the Carribean ). And I've loved the baby care stations with their nursing rooms. They're quiet, cool, and nicely appointed with rocking chairs and tables.

Jen, former sys admin and current geek , wife to DH , SAHM and Montessori homeschool teacher to DD "Nugget" (05/07) and new arrival DS "Sprout" (03/31/10)
Old 06-29-2010, 07:39 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the advice! Unfortunately, we can only go in summer because I'm a teacher. And, actually, here in NJ, we've had mid-90's and high humidity more often than not this summer so far (breaking tomorrow, woo hoo!), so I've gotten to experience wearing DD in the heat. Seems like being naked other than her diaper keeps her happy, too.

Love that picture, Jen!

Stacey teaching teens to read & write... Daddy plays ska, DD1 (7/05) loves trees & princesses, & DD2 (3/10) loves mommy-milk! Please get your kids tested for lead.
Old 06-30-2010, 05:33 PM

you'll be fine, I live in central FL and have worn my babies to Disney without any problems. you might want to bring some cornstarch or something to treat heat rash though. my infant keeps getting it in the folds under her neck and in elbows. yes, it is HOT! hopefully you'll be distracted from the heat by all the fun you're having!
re: rides... you can wear your baby on many attractions. (within reason, not like you'll be riding space mountain with her) pay attention to the automatic lap bars, you'll want to stop them with your hand before they get too tight on baby.
Old 06-30-2010, 05:35 PM

I think as long as you switch off wearing and using the stroller, it won't be too bad. You will get hot and sticky, so believe me you'll want a break from babywearing. The good thing is there are plenty of indoor air conditioned places to take breaks in, so you won't be stuck in the heat for 8 hrs straight, or anything.

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
Old 07-02-2010, 10:27 AM - Thread Starter

Oooh! Good call on the corn starch! I need to buy another one--it's great for getting sand off at the beach, and I left mine there on my friend's car last week.

Getting so excited! DH has only been to Disney once, so he's not really feeling it yet, but I am beyond excited to see DD1's face (age 5!) when she walks into the Magic Kingdom for the first time and sees Cinderella's Castle. It gives me goosebumps just thinking about it!

Old 07-06-2010, 04:44 PM

We've done disney tons of times with DS in slings. Last time he was almost 2 and I was pregnant with DD, and wore him in the Ergo almost exclusively. It was the first week of September and HOT. But, it wasn't a big deal. You're in and out of rides and buildings constantly at disney, so I never felt that it was too hot to be wearing him. Of course, I was used to wearing him at home in no AC, so maybe that's why, but there's always a place to get cool at disney. Have a great time!

Mama of two... DS born at 35w5d (11/06) and DD : born full term 38w3d (5/09) on what would have been my dad's 64th birthday. Always missing my dad who died of oral cancer 3/11/09.

User Tag List