Newborn...Ergo? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 06-18-2010, 05:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Do I need to buy another carrier or can I use my Ergo when my new baby gets here? (I'll probably carry in arms for the first month or so TBH)

I know you can buy the "infant insert"...

Kas (24), Helpmeet to Stefan (25), Mom to Franklin Gaudelio 4/15/09, Jonathan Boswell 1/2/11
#2 of 14 Old 06-18-2010, 06:06 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
We used the Ergo from birth. We didn't buy the insert, but did use a fleece blanket to tuck her in, in a similar fashion. It was winter and cold where we were, so that worked well. Our little one didn't like to be in it on a slant, as the video suggests with infants, but she did love being in it straight up, with her legs froggied under her. We still use the same carrier every day, seventeen months later. Love the Ergo!

dust.gifFour-eyed tattooed fairy godmother queer, mama to my lucky star (5) and little bird (2.5). Resident storyteller at www.thestoryforest.com. Enchanting audiostories for curious kids. Come play in the forest!
#3 of 14 Old 06-18-2010, 09:23 PM
Banned

Well, darn. I already ordered the insert.
#4 of 14 Old 06-18-2010, 09:44 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintedfire View Post
Well, darn. I already ordered the insert.
I plan on ordering one.

I LOVE my Ergo and I'm so glad I'll be able to keep using it.

Kas (24), Helpmeet to Stefan (25), Mom to Franklin Gaudelio 4/15/09, Jonathan Boswell 1/2/11
#5 of 14 Old 06-18-2010, 10:10 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFWife View Post
I plan on ordering one.

I LOVE my Ergo and I'm so glad I'll be able to keep using it.
Nice to hear that you like it. I'm getting a variety of different slings but also really, really covet the Ergo so I happy to hear that it's living up to my expectations.
#6 of 14 Old 06-19-2010, 09:49 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintedfire View Post
Nice to hear that you like it. I'm getting a variety of different slings but also really, really covet the Ergo so I happy to hear that it's living up to my expectations.
I wore my 25lb DS on my back the entire hour or so we were at the mall last weekend. I got lots of stares, but that was it. He was comfy and able to look around and I didn't have to fight with a stroller like some of the other parents I saw.

#7 of 14 Old 06-21-2010, 03:06 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
We have a 4 week old son and we got an Ergo before he was born, with the newborn insert. We tried it last week and he seemed too small for it (and he's big, weighed 9.1 lbs at birth, more than 10 lbs. now). He was flopping around. I guess we could use a towel or blanket to support him though. I also haven't seen the video which recommends putting them somehow slanted in there, so I should find that. For now we're using the Moby and Didymos wraps and they are great for a newborn!

Mama since 2010
Multicultural living in Europe
#8 of 14 Old 06-21-2010, 10:11 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFWife View Post
I wore my 25lb DS on my back the entire hour or so we were at the mall last weekend. I got lots of stares, but that was it. He was comfy and able to look around and I didn't have to fight with a stroller like some of the other parents I saw.
I'm looking forward to the crazy stares I'm sure I'll get when I'm wearing my babe and using the Bugaboo as a green market shopping cart. Come on, you can't tell me the bassinet attachment on those things won't be perfect for that!
#9 of 14 Old 06-21-2010, 10:15 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by P.J. View Post
We have a 4 week old son and we got an Ergo before he was born, with the newborn insert. We tried it last week and he seemed too small for it (and he's big, weighed 9.1 lbs at birth, more than 10 lbs. now). He was flopping around. I guess we could use a towel or blanket to support him though. I also haven't seen the video which recommends putting them somehow slanted in there, so I should find that. For now we're using the Moby and Didymos wraps and they are great for a newborn!
My only problem is that money is going to be really tight because we're paying the MW totally out of pocket....plus we'll be buying a new carseat and I would like another convertible one....and we want to buy a stroller for DS. So yeah, not much spare cash. I want to be able to make due with what I have.

#10 of 14 Old 06-21-2010, 08:55 PM

I think we used the Ergo with DD starting at about 2 weeks or so? We don't have the infant insert, we just rolled up a receiving blanket under her and put her in upright with her legs froggied under her.

That said, I really don't like the ergo. It's too wide for my shoulders. I love SSCs from birth, but just not the ergo.

Hippie sympathizer and mom to L, 4.8.10.
Pet-mom to Squirt with FLUTD & Maya the deaf wonder dog .
#11 of 14 Old 06-21-2010, 09:12 PM

I love my Ergo but not so much for the newborn stage. I didn't feel comfortable using it until my babies could straddle the carrier around 4 or 5 months.

I'd suggest putting the money you're going to spend on the insert into a Moby Wrap. They're not very expensive. You might even be able to find a used one at a consignment shop. I love love loved my Moby those first few months, especially with my second since I wore him all the time as I was trying to keep up with a 3 year old. It was so cozy.
#12 of 14 Old 06-22-2010, 11:56 AM

I second the suggestion for a Moby or Sleepy Wrap for a newborn -- I loved snuggling my baby in those the first few months.

Wife of R (08/2009), Mama of M (12/09), expecting Baby #2 (11/2012)

#13 of 14 Old 06-22-2010, 03:52 PM

We have the Moby and the Ergo for 3w old DD. I use the Moby, but it's really hot if I'm soothing her by walking or bouncing on the ball. Once she gets too hot she starts. to. scream. (45 minutes max) She also screams anytime I take her out of it. I'm hoping it'll be more useful in the colder months.

I got the Ergo with the infant insert for DH and he loves it. In fact the only way we can get DD to nap during the day at the moment is for DH to carry her around in it (he has got her sort of sideways and at an angle, not sure if that's allowed but it works!) and then lay her down in the co-sleeper.

It seems *way* to big for me though. I'm barely 5ft 3in and have narrow shoulders, but I haven't sized it for me so I'm not positive.

Jezza, wife to T, oldmommers to E (7), A (4mos.) and three kitties
#14 of 14 Old 06-25-2010, 08:17 PM

AFWife, I have an infant insert (the old style, not the one with the buckles) that was given to me as a gift but I never used. I can send it to you if you want. No charge, just spreading the generosity that has been shown to us. PM me if you like as I don't check the forums often.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page