talk to me about the ergo vs mei tai... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-05-2010, 01:39 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm torn between these two carriers. DD is 4mo and has good head control. She rode in my sister's ergo once and liked it but that was only once and I'm afraid she'll change her mind - she did this about the ring sling: loved it at first then started to hate it. Mei tais seem similar and I found really cute ones (with grey skulls! ) for way cheaper than the ergo, though I'm watching a few cheaper ergos on ebay at the moment. If anyone has tried both which was most comfortable for you and baby? Pros or cons for each?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-05-2010, 02:10 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I've used both.

My personal experience is that I slightly prefer mei tai for front carries, but prefer Ergo by a mile for back carries.

I could just never master getting him on my back, straps wrapped and tied correctly, etc in a parking lot w/my Babyhawk. When I did manage to get him on my back, it was never comfortable for more than 10 minutes or so.

Pros: I find the Ergo to be super easy to adjust, super easy to get baby on my back and most importantly, super comfy for long periods of time. DS2 is 8 months, 20lbs and loves being in the Ergo on my back. He falls asleep often and the sleeping hood on the Ergo comes in handy for that.

The only con I have about the Ergo is how it gives me an, um, "muffin front." To get a good tight fit, it totally makes my belly fat stick out around the waist strap. And I'm a pretty petite girl, 5'1" 115lbs. But I have had 3 kids, so there is NO hiding that w/the Ergo. At least w/a mei tai I could hide the belly w/a big knot or bow.
Old 07-05-2010, 02:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamieCole View Post
I've used both.

My personal experience is that I slightly prefer mei tai for front carries, but prefer Ergo by a mile for back carries.
I agree with this 100%. I find mei tais much more comfortable for front carries but soft structured carriers (like the Ergo) more comfy for back carries. I never had an issue with the mei tai taking significantly more time/effort to tie in a back carry, it was just that SSCs felt better and were more supportive for me in a back carry because they put most of the baby's weight on my hips. Everyone is different though, I know several people who prefer mei tais over SSCs for back carries.

*mama to c 2/2000, v 2/2004, p 9/2006, and h 12/2012*

one of the mamas behind BeanTreeBaby.com ...Gear for Growing Families!

Old 07-05-2010, 02:58 AM

MT all the way. I'm still working to like the Ergo, but especially with a baby so young I'd go with a MT. I find it very comfy on the back and the Ergo is impossible to nurse in IMO while the MT is quite possible

-Angela
Old 07-05-2010, 03:05 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I have to agree with the first two. I like my MT for front, and when babe was a bit smaller. Now that DD is 2 and almost 30 lbs, I cant wear her in the MT at all and the ergo on my back is still super comfy. I am almost 32 weeks pregnant and it is no problem wearing her with the Ergo on my back.

If I could only get one, I would get the Ergo.

SAHM to Chloe«- 6/2008 (10 lbs, 5 oz), Hannah- 9/2010 (9 lbs, 12 oz), Liam- 2/2013 (9 lbs, 6 oz)

User Tag List