DD is getting heavy - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 24 Old 07-15-2010, 09:52 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Ladies, DD is getting heavy but still likes to be worn. I still like to wear her too, especially because it is a great way to calm her when she gets overstimulated and overtired (which happens alot). At this point, my Mei Tai leaves bruising along my shoulders. I can still use the Moby, but you can't do a back carry alone in it and it's HOT. But even with the Moby my back is killing me. Any suggestions? I still need to be able to wear her 2-3 hours a day and would like to have a back carry option. Thoughts?

mama to Rassa, born 12/9/09
#2 of 24 Old 07-15-2010, 10:03 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
A soft structured carrier? IME, they are the best for long-term wearing of heavy kids. I use a Beco, but really like the Ergo that a friend loaned me and have been eyeing the
Boba...

It seems like most SSC's have more shoulder padding than most mei tai's. Also the structured waist belt allows me to take more of the weight on my hips with a SSC, which is critical for bigger kids.

ribbonrainbow.gif: mamas to one DD (5/08) and two DS's (11/9/10 @ 35wks)
blogging.jpgnocirc.gifdelayedvax.gifgd.gif1pump.giftoddler.giffamilybed2.gifcd.gif
#3 of 24 Old 07-15-2010, 10:30 AM

Definitely try a SSC. They do tend to have more padding that many mei tais. Some are more padded than others and are designed with bigger/older babies in mind. The Boba and Oh Snap are both targeted at 6 months to 45 lbs. I also really liked my Olives and Applesauce with my toddler, but I had one of the older style 18" ones. Definitely keep looking. There are tons of options out there and I am still wearing my two year old!

Ruth, mama to 2 little monkeys and owner of Zerberts
Helping you find the perfect baby carrier! Risk Free Shopping and FREE SHIPPING!
#4 of 24 Old 07-15-2010, 10:34 AM

Another recommendation for a SSC. I have an Ergo and it makes carrying ds on my back for fairly long periods of time a virtual breeze!

Jenny, proud maker of red things
#5 of 24 Old 07-15-2010, 11:38 AM - Thread Starter

Are Ergos comfy for small women? I also wanted to add that I am 110 lbs and 5 foot 1 in.

#6 of 24 Old 07-15-2010, 11:51 AM

What kind of mei tai do you have? I suspect that yours is unpadded(or not well padded) and probably not made of very sturdy materials.

SSCs can be good for back carries, but a lot of small women do have problems with the Ergo. I've known a few who couldn't get the straps tight enough. Becos tend to work better, as they tighten down a lot farther(they also untighten a lot wider to accommodate bigger wearers!).

Also, Mobys and other stretchy wraps shouldn't be used for back carries, so I'd really advise against using it for that.
#7 of 24 Old 07-15-2010, 11:56 AM

Calyx or a woven wrap

Michele, wife to my soul mate, hero and solider, momma to
K-03/98, B-01/00, D-03/02, M-09/03, TL-12/04, TM-09/06, I-10/08 edd 02/02/11
#8 of 24 Old 07-15-2010, 12:04 PM - Thread Starter

I have a BabyHawk Mei Tai and it's not been comfy with a front or back carry for several weeks now (though it works fine for my DH). I'll look into the Becco. It looks pricey though, any idea where I can get used ones?

#9 of 24 Old 07-15-2010, 12:35 PM

i can wear 35 lb ds2 for hours in a kozy or babyhawk. strenghtening your core with pilates will also help
Posted via Mobile Device

Unassisted birthing, atheist, poly, bi WOHM to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wes (14) Seth (7) Pandora Moonlilly (2) and Nevermore Stargazer (11/2012)  Married to awesome SAH DH.

#10 of 24 Old 07-15-2010, 12:38 PM

jst saw how tiny you are. im 5'4. nrma non pg ang pp weigt 150 lbs although currently weigh more
Posted via Mobile Device

Unassisted birthing, atheist, poly, bi WOHM to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wes (14) Seth (7) Pandora Moonlilly (2) and Nevermore Stargazer (11/2012)  Married to awesome SAH DH.

#11 of 24 Old 07-15-2010, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tattooed Hand View Post
I have a BabyHawk Mei Tai and it's not been comfy with a front or back carry for several weeks now (though it works fine for my DH). I'll look into the Becco. It looks pricey though, any idea where I can get used ones?
You can check out the trading post here, try Craigslist if there is one for your area, or you can find nearly anything used on the For Sale or Trade forum at thebabywearer.com. It looks like you can also put up an In Search Of post here without subscribing

I'm not quite as tiny as you, but I have heard that some mamas who are petite have trouble finding an in-stock carrier that fits well. The petite Calyx is one that is well-liked by many petite mamas on TBW, as another poster mentioned.
#12 of 24 Old 07-15-2010, 04:03 PM

Quote:
There's usually quite a few on the FSOT on www.thebabywearer.com. Additionally, http://www.frogmama.com/catalog.php?item=687 has a few that are discounted.
#13 of 24 Old 07-15-2010, 05:25 PM

We went ahead and purchased a Boba for my quickly growing little boy. I'm really happy with it, usually get daily use out of it, and ds loves it, especially the back carry.

Mama to Ahnna-Bella (Dec 05) dust.gif, Harrison (Oct 08) kid.gif, and Kellan Wilder (Jan '12) baby.gif

#14 of 24 Old 07-16-2010, 12:57 AM

I'm 5' 3 and the Ergo is too bulky for me. I wish it worked. I'm going to do a woven wrap because she's too heavy for the Moby but I tried a woven and it's great. I like how it spreads her weight evenly and it is very adjustable if you are small.

Deb, Mom to Madeleine 8/2005 and Maia 11/2009 Nick: and Chris
#15 of 24 Old 07-16-2010, 01:28 AM

Check how you're wearing your mei tai. The mama who made my mei tai taught me how to put it on for a toddler. Made a HUGE difference.

Tie the waistband so that the bottom edge is ABOVE (not on) your hipbones. Cross the straps in back BEHIND (not under) your LO's butt, and do an extra twist in that cross. Then the straps will be pulling her up and in towards you.

Make sure that her knees are above her hips, she should be sitting well down in the mei tai.

Pictures here, second picture shows what to do:
http://www.mothering.com/discussions....php?t=1224862

You'll be able to tell that you've got it right if you can easily put a hand between your shoulders and the straps.

My dd is now about 25lbs and I wore her for several hours at various times on moving day with no discomfort. When she was only 20lbs or so and I didn't know the good way to wear the mei tai, I couldn't even walk to the park (15 minutes) without excruciating pain.

And my mei tai has no special padding whatsoever. As with properly fitted bras, there should be no need for padding in the shoulder portion of a baby carrier, because the weight shouldn't be on your shoulders at all.
#16 of 24 Old 07-16-2010, 10:44 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks Sapphire, I'll try that before buying a new carrier. It's definitely not a core strenth problem because I have pretty strong stomach and back muscles, which don't seem related to bruising along the shoulders anyway.

#17 of 24 Old 07-21-2010, 01:59 PM

Any luck?
#18 of 24 Old 07-21-2010, 02:46 PM - Thread Starter

Sadly, no. I did try the different hold and it felt better initially, but after an hour my shoulders were killing me. It still doesn't distribute the weight. I went ahead and ordered a Beco. It's such a crap shoot which one DD and I will like. I know people who swear by their ring sling and we both hated it. It's so individual - I wish there was some store we could go into and try all of them on!

#19 of 24 Old 07-21-2010, 11:55 PM

Where do you live? Have you looked to see if there are any local babywearing groups near you? Those can be a great way to try different carriers. Also, many stores have a very good return policy that would allow you to return a carrier if it doesn't work for you.

Good luck with the Beco. Hopefully it works great for you and your little one. If not though, don't get too discouraged! There are tons of really great carriers out there and you will find something that works for you!

Ruth, mama to 2 little monkeys and owner of Zerberts
Helping you find the perfect baby carrier! Risk Free Shopping and FREE SHIPPING!
#20 of 24 Old 07-22-2010, 01:53 PM

Boston Babywearers may have some carriers you can try.. I'm from MA but I live in RI, so I've only been to the RI babywearing group. I know there's a store on the North Shore that sells carriers, and there's also Bellani Maternity in Warwick RI but that would be quite a hike for you.
#21 of 24 Old 07-26-2010, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Are Ergos comfy for small women? I also wanted to add that I am 110 lbs and 5 foot 1 in.
I think the Becco is better for a smaller woman (i am 5ft 3in and 118 pounds) The Ergo just felt BIG, really padded shoulders, all the straps had a ton of extra falling all over the place. I mean it works fine, i just felt overwhelmed my it.

SAHM to 5 cats, a crazy toddler and my new baby girl born at home 3/12/12.

#22 of 24 Old 07-27-2010, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Sadly, no. I did try the different hold and it felt better initially, but after an hour my shoulders were killing me. It still doesn't distribute the weight. I went ahead and ordered a Beco. It's such a crap shoot which one DD and I will like. I know people who swear by their ring sling and we both hated it. It's so individual - I wish there was some store we could go into and try all of them on!
Too bad! : that you two both love the Beco. At least you can wear her for 20-30 minutes now while waiting for the Beco to arrive .
#23 of 24 Old 07-28-2010, 08:10 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the tip, it has made it easier to wear DD for shorter amounts of time since the Moby is WAY too hot right now. The Beco came and it's too big for me though the support and weight distribution are right. But my DH loves it so I ordered myself a Calyx Petite. Things are getting out of hand with the carriers, but I forsee wearing DD for a long time to come!

#24 of 24 Old 07-28-2010, 10:45 AM

Glad your DH loves the Beco! Hopefully the Calyx will be great for you And it's definitely worth the investment IMO... my DD is almost a full year older than yours and I'm still wearing her tons. She asked to go up on my back 3 separate times last night between getting home from work/day care and going to bed

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page