Will airport security let you wear a baby as you go thru security? - Mothering Forums
1 2 
Babywearing > Will airport security let you wear a baby as you go thru security?
lizzylou's Avatar lizzylou 11:33 PM 07-28-2010
Just curious... we're flying tomorrow and I plan on wearing DS in a Beco Butterfly on my back. It would be great if I could wear him straight through security... it would be a pain to have to take him off.

annettemarie's Avatar annettemarie 11:34 PM 07-28-2010
Nope. I had to take my little guy's booties off as well.
lizzylou's Avatar lizzylou 12:00 AM 07-29-2010
Aw, bummer! Thanks.
luv-my-boys's Avatar luv-my-boys 12:14 AM 07-29-2010
nope, I have taken many flights with many different carriers and never have I been able to go thru security while wearing them. I always had to remove them, place carrier in bin to do xray, hand them to other adult, walk thru, have child handed back to me and then proceed to get them back into carrier
lifeguard's Avatar lifeguard 12:24 AM 07-29-2010
It's different for every airport. I made sure to use a wrap instead of my ring sling when I flew with ds ('cause my rings were metal). 3 times I went through security without a problem, 2 times I had to take him out.
northcountrymamma's Avatar northcountrymamma 12:28 AM 07-29-2010
used to fly a lot with dd as a baby/toddler and never was able to wear her thru, even in a wrap. But I never had to hand her to another adult...she was always in my arms.
c'est moi's Avatar c'est moi 12:53 AM 07-29-2010
i always assumed they'd make me, but i once flew and noticed a family in front of me not de-babywear. they just patted the outside of my beco and the space inbetween my back and baby and off we went. some places make me take her shoes off and some don't.
JessicaS's Avatar JessicaS 01:21 AM 07-29-2010
No they made us de-baby wear but I think I had him in a maya with metal rings
sapphire_chan's Avatar sapphire_chan 01:22 AM 07-29-2010
I wore DD in the mei tai through security in Indianapolis, Richmond VA, and in one of the D.C. airports.

But the mei tai had no metal parts.
artzy_fartzy68's Avatar artzy_fartzy68 01:26 AM 07-29-2010
Neither I nor my husband have ever had to take our boys out of the ergos to pass thru, we just had to remove their shoes (once...after that, they travelled in socks only). When my youngest was a few weeks and in a stretchy wrap, i started to undo it, but they stopped me and told me to leave it.
Logan's mommy's Avatar Logan's mommy 01:41 AM 07-29-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire_chan View Post
I wore DD in the mei tai through security in Indianapolis, Richmond VA, and in one of the D.C. airports.

But the mei tai had no metal parts.
I just flew out of Indy and noticed they were a bit more laid back on security than a larger airport. I wore a dress and just had to take of my flip flops, but when I left to come home out of Portland I was patted down (wearing the same dress). I would guess most airports would make you take the baby out of the carrier.
dislocator3972's Avatar dislocator3972 01:45 AM 07-29-2010
It completely depends on the guard waving you through. Some want you to put the carrier through the xray, some don't. Whether DD is in the pocket, Ergo, or Moby has never been as relevant (IME) as the preference of the guard.

Give it a try, but be ready to de-wrap.
Sheryl1678's Avatar Sheryl1678 02:01 AM 07-29-2010
I have always had to take my little one out of the carrier but I have never had to take the carrier off. I always use a simple pouch carrier so it is just like another piece of clothing (no straps/buckles).
Mrs.Music's Avatar Mrs.Music 02:08 AM 07-29-2010
I wore my son through airport security in the Ergo. They just waved us over with the wand.
princesstutu's Avatar princesstutu 04:13 AM 07-29-2010
I recently went through 4 major US airports and the only thing about the carrier was that I either had to have the baby in it and on me or I had to put it thru the machine.
lmk1's Avatar lmk1 04:28 AM 07-29-2010
I've never been asked to take ds out of the Ergo, and we've flown a lot together. We did have to take his shoes off.
russsk's Avatar russsk 08:44 AM 07-29-2010
Outside the US I've been able to wear DS, but never within the US. And I have to take his shoes off.
linchi's Avatar linchi 10:33 AM 07-29-2010
I've gone through with both wraps / ergo. Helps if LO is either sleeping or eating . This wasn't in the US though.
stephienoodle's Avatar stephienoodle 11:21 AM 07-29-2010
When we flew in March (Richmond, VA to Orlando, FL), I had to take off my mei tai and put it in a bin to go through the scanner. DS also had to take his soft-soled shoes off.
new2texas's Avatar new2texas 12:35 PM 07-29-2010
I've flown to Canada from the US twice with my baby in the moby and had to take her out and take the moby off. What a pain in the butt. Plus they did a full pat down on my six week old baby. If that's not ridiculous I don't know what is. And depending on the flight crew you may or may not have to take the baby out of the wrap for take off and landing. On one flight they refused to even taxi out to the runway until I took her out of the wrap. She was sleeping. I wasn't annoyed at all!
ellemenope's Avatar ellemenope 01:13 PM 07-29-2010
I have flown a lot with DD in ergo. I have ALWAYS had to take her out. But, these were major airports, like JFK and Dulles. And, her shoes must come off.

Now, when I go through museum security, she can stay in.

ETA: I suppose after the first time I was told the 'rules' I just assumed I always had to take her out. But, they are never like, "Oh, lady just keep that poor sleeping baby in there." (Like at the museums.)

I wonder if it makes a difference as to what kind of carrier we are talking about and whether they are on the back or front.
Aries1985's Avatar Aries1985 02:59 PM 07-29-2010
I have been able to wear my dd in most airports (Detriot, Midway, O'Hare, Phoenix), but a tiny airport in Northern Michigan made me take her off. I did have to remove her shoes.
annettemarie's Avatar annettemarie 03:02 PM 07-29-2010
It actually makes me annoyed to hear that some airports aren't asking to have babies taken out. I mean, I know none of us are terrorists, but the whole point of the new security rules are that there are horrible unscrupulous people in the world who don't care who they hurt. I had no problem taking my baby out and his shoes off because I knew it was being done to help keep everyone safe.
sapphire_chan's Avatar sapphire_chan 04:33 PM 07-29-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan's mommy View Post
I just flew out of Indy and noticed they were a bit more laid back on security than a larger airport. I wore a dress and just had to take of my flip flops, but when I left to come home out of Portland I was patted down (wearing the same dress). I would guess most airports would make you take the baby out of the carrier.
Portland, OR by any chance? Cause that's my home town.

Maybe I haven't had to take her out of the carrier cause I've traveled alone with a carseat and carry on as well as baby and backpack. I got to security and went to an agent "hi, can someone help me through this?"

I did take her shoes off.
mckittre's Avatar mckittre 08:29 PM 07-29-2010
I've always worn mine through in a wrap (no shoes on the baby). I've had them feel the knot of the wrap, but that's it.
Ambystoma's Avatar Ambystoma 09:46 PM 07-29-2010
I automatically took DS out when we flew June, but I ran into a TSA agent mama who was also flying. She asked me if the agents asked me to take him out of the sling and said there was recently a big lawsuit in her town (somewhere in the midwest, i forget) and that at least temporarily, they weren't supposed to ask you to if you could walk through without the detector going off. Not sure about pat downs or whatever.

If it's something like the moby, I don't see a difference between that and me wearing baggy cargo pants and a loose sweatshirt in how they would treat me. Maybe a patdown? I don't really mind taking off something quick--which is why we took the sling.
Ammaarah's Avatar Ammaarah 10:05 PM 07-29-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by russsk View Post
Outside the US I've been able to wear DS, but never within the US. And I have to take his shoes off.
I've had the same experience.
nichole's Avatar nichole 10:07 PM 07-29-2010
One time I took him out b/c of past experience, I knew I had to. After I woke him up taking him out, the guard said, " you didn't have to take him out, you know."
Mom2M's Avatar Mom2M 10:11 AM 07-30-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by annettemarie View Post
It actually makes me annoyed to hear that some airports aren't asking to have babies taken out. I mean, I know none of us are terrorists, but the whole point of the new security rules are that there are horrible unscrupulous people in the world who don't care who they hurt. I had no problem taking my baby out and his shoes off because I knew it was being done to help keep everyone safe.
I agree with that, even though it is an inconvenience to get her out. They get babies out of strollers too and run the strollers through the x ray.
TheGirls's Avatar TheGirls 12:24 PM 07-30-2010
I've usually been able to go through (either ring sling with plastiic rings or Moby) without taking her out, they always pat around her and make me take off her shoes, but that's it. Once I think I had to take her out. She flew at 3, 6, and 12 months. She's flown a few times since then, but usually not in a carrier. I've never heard of having to hand her to someone else, I've always been able to carry her through the metal detector with me.
1 2 

Up