Will airport security let you wear a baby as you go thru security? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 46 Old 07-28-2010, 10:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just curious... we're flying tomorrow and I plan on wearing DS in a Beco Butterfly on my back. It would be great if I could wear him straight through security... it would be a pain to have to take him off.

Baby Boy 9/08 & Baby Girl 3/11

#2 of 46 Old 07-28-2010, 10:34 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Nope. I had to take my little guy's booties off as well.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#3 of 46 Old 07-28-2010, 11:00 PM - Thread Starter

Aw, bummer! Thanks.

Baby Boy 9/08 & Baby Girl 3/11

#4 of 46 Old 07-28-2010, 11:14 PM

nope, I have taken many flights with many different carriers and never have I been able to go thru security while wearing them. I always had to remove them, place carrier in bin to do xray, hand them to other adult, walk thru, have child handed back to me and then proceed to get them back into carrier
#5 of 46 Old 07-28-2010, 11:24 PM

It's different for every airport. I made sure to use a wrap instead of my ring sling when I flew with ds ('cause my rings were metal). 3 times I went through security without a problem, 2 times I had to take him out.

Surviving sleep deprivation one day at a time with dd (Oct '11) & ds (Oct '08).

#6 of 46 Old 07-28-2010, 11:28 PM

used to fly a lot with dd as a baby/toddler and never was able to wear her thru, even in a wrap. But I never had to hand her to another adult...she was always in my arms.

earth honouring, tree hugging, yogi mamma to dd - my forest faerie (Feb/04) and ds - our new little bean born peacefully at home (01/02/11)

#7 of 46 Old 07-28-2010, 11:53 PM

i always assumed they'd make me, but i once flew and noticed a family in front of me not de-babywear. they just patted the outside of my beco and the space inbetween my back and baby and off we went. some places make me take her shoes off and some don't.

hoping for a !
#8 of 46 Old 07-29-2010, 12:21 AM

No they made us de-baby wear but I think I had him in a maya with metal rings

Not all those who wander are lost 
#9 of 46 Old 07-29-2010, 12:22 AM

I wore DD in the mei tai through security in Indianapolis, Richmond VA, and in one of the D.C. airports.

But the mei tai had no metal parts.
#10 of 46 Old 07-29-2010, 12:26 AM

Neither I nor my husband have ever had to take our boys out of the ergos to pass thru, we just had to remove their shoes (once...after that, they travelled in socks only). When my youngest was a few weeks and in a stretchy wrap, i started to undo it, but they stopped me and told me to leave it.

Jacki, old-fashioned, crunchy mama to five, grandmother to one.
#11 of 46 Old 07-29-2010, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire_chan View Post
I wore DD in the mei tai through security in Indianapolis, Richmond VA, and in one of the D.C. airports.

But the mei tai had no metal parts.
I just flew out of Indy and noticed they were a bit more laid back on security than a larger airport. I wore a dress and just had to take of my flip flops, but when I left to come home out of Portland I was patted down (wearing the same dress). I would guess most airports would make you take the baby out of the carrier.

Elizabeth wife to Matt , mom to Logan (2/21/01) , and little man Desmond (9/23/08)

Mourning the loss of her father: Robert Edward Dillon 5/31/52 - 01/03/2011

#12 of 46 Old 07-29-2010, 12:45 AM

It completely depends on the guard waving you through. Some want you to put the carrier through the xray, some don't. Whether DD is in the pocket, Ergo, or Moby has never been as relevant (IME) as the preference of the guard.

Give it a try, but be ready to de-wrap.

Sarah. Married to my Mirus, raising my DD1 (Aug. '09) and my DD2 (March '11) and waiting for my newest (April '14)!
#13 of 46 Old 07-29-2010, 01:01 AM

I have always had to take my little one out of the carrier but I have never had to take the carrier off. I always use a simple pouch carrier so it is just like another piece of clothing (no straps/buckles).
#14 of 46 Old 07-29-2010, 01:08 AM

I wore my son through airport security in the Ergo. They just waved us over with the wand.

Bri helpmeet to Chaise mama to K(2/07)  M(3/09) & A(2/11)

#15 of 46 Old 07-29-2010, 03:13 AM

I recently went through 4 major US airports and the only thing about the carrier was that I either had to have the baby in it and on me or I had to put it thru the machine.

Yes, yes.  I'm fabulous. loveeyes.gif  Moving on...

#16 of 46 Old 07-29-2010, 03:28 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I've never been asked to take ds out of the Ergo, and we've flown a lot together. We did have to take his shoes off.
#17 of 46 Old 07-29-2010, 07:44 AM

Outside the US I've been able to wear DS, but never within the US. And I have to take his shoes off.

Mama to DS1 (2/08) and DS2 (9/10).
#18 of 46 Old 07-29-2010, 09:33 AM

I've gone through with both wraps / ergo. Helps if LO is either sleeping or eating . This wasn't in the US though.

My family = me + dh & ds +
#19 of 46 Old 07-29-2010, 10:21 AM

When we flew in March (Richmond, VA to Orlando, FL), I had to take off my mei tai and put it in a bin to go through the scanner. DS also had to take his soft-soled shoes off.

Steph, Mama to Alex (04/08) We :::
#20 of 46 Old 07-29-2010, 11:35 AM

I've flown to Canada from the US twice with my baby in the moby and had to take her out and take the moby off. What a pain in the butt. Plus they did a full pat down on my six week old baby. If that's not ridiculous I don't know what is. And depending on the flight crew you may or may not have to take the baby out of the wrap for take off and landing. On one flight they refused to even taxi out to the runway until I took her out of the wrap. She was sleeping. I wasn't annoyed at all!

SAHM to 3 girls
#21 of 46 Old 07-29-2010, 12:13 PM

I have flown a lot with DD in ergo. I have ALWAYS had to take her out. But, these were major airports, like JFK and Dulles. And, her shoes must come off.

Now, when I go through museum security, she can stay in.

ETA: I suppose after the first time I was told the 'rules' I just assumed I always had to take her out. But, they are never like, "Oh, lady just keep that poor sleeping baby in there." (Like at the museums.)

I wonder if it makes a difference as to what kind of carrier we are talking about and whether they are on the back or front.
#22 of 46 Old 07-29-2010, 01:59 PM

I have been able to wear my dd in most airports (Detriot, Midway, O'Hare, Phoenix), but a tiny airport in Northern Michigan made me take her off. I did have to remove her shoes.
#23 of 46 Old 07-29-2010, 02:02 PM

It actually makes me annoyed to hear that some airports aren't asking to have babies taken out. I mean, I know none of us are terrorists, but the whole point of the new security rules are that there are horrible unscrupulous people in the world who don't care who they hurt. I had no problem taking my baby out and his shoes off because I knew it was being done to help keep everyone safe.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#24 of 46 Old 07-29-2010, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan's mommy View Post
I just flew out of Indy and noticed they were a bit more laid back on security than a larger airport. I wore a dress and just had to take of my flip flops, but when I left to come home out of Portland I was patted down (wearing the same dress). I would guess most airports would make you take the baby out of the carrier.
Portland, OR by any chance? Cause that's my home town.

Maybe I haven't had to take her out of the carrier cause I've traveled alone with a carseat and carry on as well as baby and backpack. I got to security and went to an agent "hi, can someone help me through this?"

I did take her shoes off.
#25 of 46 Old 07-29-2010, 07:29 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I've always worn mine through in a wrap (no shoes on the baby). I've had them feel the knot of the wrap, but that's it.
#26 of 46 Old 07-29-2010, 08:46 PM

I automatically took DS out when we flew June, but I ran into a TSA agent mama who was also flying. She asked me if the agents asked me to take him out of the sling and said there was recently a big lawsuit in her town (somewhere in the midwest, i forget) and that at least temporarily, they weren't supposed to ask you to if you could walk through without the detector going off. Not sure about pat downs or whatever.

If it's something like the moby, I don't see a difference between that and me wearing baggy cargo pants and a loose sweatshirt in how they would treat me. Maybe a patdown? I don't really mind taking off something quick--which is why we took the sling.

Kara: on a journey with DH, Mama to DS 2/2010
#27 of 46 Old 07-29-2010, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by russsk View Post
Outside the US I've been able to wear DS, but never within the US. And I have to take his shoes off.
I've had the same experience.
#28 of 46 Old 07-29-2010, 09:07 PM

One time I took him out b/c of past experience, I knew I had to. After I woke him up taking him out, the guard said, " you didn't have to take him out, you know."
#29 of 46 Old 07-30-2010, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annettemarie View Post
It actually makes me annoyed to hear that some airports aren't asking to have babies taken out. I mean, I know none of us are terrorists, but the whole point of the new security rules are that there are horrible unscrupulous people in the world who don't care who they hurt. I had no problem taking my baby out and his shoes off because I knew it was being done to help keep everyone safe.
I agree with that, even though it is an inconvenience to get her out. They get babies out of strollers too and run the strollers through the x ray.

Deb, Mom to Madeleine 8/2005 and Maia 11/2009 Nick: and Chris
#30 of 46 Old 07-30-2010, 11:24 AM

I've usually been able to go through (either ring sling with plastiic rings or Moby) without taking her out, they always pat around her and make me take off her shoes, but that's it. Once I think I had to take her out. She flew at 3, 6, and 12 months. She's flown a few times since then, but usually not in a carrier. I've never heard of having to hand her to someone else, I've always been able to carry her through the metal detector with me.

ribbonrainbow.gif: mamas to one DD (5/08) and two DS's (11/9/10 @ 35wks)
blogging.jpgnocirc.gifdelayedvax.gifgd.gif1pump.giftoddler.giffamilybed2.gifcd.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page