what's your man's favorite wrap or sling? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 08-11-2010, 02:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
this is my DP's first babe and he is super excited about babywearing. I want to get him a "new dad" gift but not sure which wrap/sling? (We have a hotsling thus far and will get another ergo too as I sold my old one, but looking for something just for him) so maybe a not so feminine but a more manly cool print?

Blissful Mama to DD-(5), DS-(6) and someone new due in November!
#2 of 10 Old 08-11-2010, 11:11 PM

For newborn days, my husband liked to use the Moby for our son. We have a black one, so it was neutral. He needed help getting it on and the baby in, most of the time, but once secured, both enjoyed the time while I showered or took some solo time.
After newborn days, he really didn't wear him at all...hmm, I'm wondering now why that petered out?
When he got big enough for a backpack, DH jumped all over the Kelty carrier, which I HATE with a passion. But, it works for them, so whatever.

Good luck in your quest!

Married to P and mama to DS (1/09)blahblah.gifand DD  (09/13 babygirl.gif). I'm into friends and family, gardening, exercise, yoga, reading, knitting, photos, traditional foods, breastfeeding, home birth, babywearing, and much more. 
#3 of 10 Old 08-11-2010, 11:19 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
My DH mostly uses the Moby or Gypsy Mama. He has his own one of each in pistachio and "Freya" respectively. He also has a Continuum Family pouch sling in his size (chocolate brown) and a khaki ring sling. J doesn't like the pouch sling but will tolerate the ring sling sometimes.

We have an Ergo which I think he will really like once J is big enough for it.

I'm not sure what his favourite would be if it was just about him but J really only likes the wraps so that's what we both use.

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

#4 of 10 Old 08-12-2010, 01:15 AM

My husband mostly uses our Calyx (a buckle carrier similar to the Ergo and Beco) in solid black, and a woven wrap by the brand Lana in the pattern called Tattoo (dark brown with a tribal tattoo print down the middle--very cool). He's very inflexible and can only use the wrap for front carries, which is why we have the Calyx too. (Calyxes are great but the customer service provided by their manufacturer is ).

Astrea, mama to my sweet toddler Willow
#5 of 10 Old 08-12-2010, 01:44 AM

We have a moby wrap and something else that a friend threw together when she was babysitting and the moby was being cleaned. DS likes to hang out in one of them if I'm cooking, to watch me. DH usually just has DS on hip when we go out.

I can't advise on the not too feminine part though. One wrap has a floral print and the other one is a nice pink colour. Both of which have become favourites of DS' though. He hates wearing things that don't have flowers or pink or both on them.

malesling.GIFMutant Papa to DD (12)hippie.gif and DS (2)babyf.gif, married to DHribbonrainbow.gif
If it looks like I'm trying to pick a fight... I'm not, I'm rarely that obvious.hammer.gif
#6 of 10 Old 08-12-2010, 03:07 AM

I have an Ellaroo ring sling that we referred to as "the magic sling" because our DD would almost conk out while I was still tightening the tail up DH would wear her in that and I think he found it comfortable. It has a floral print though, so he wouldn't wear it in public. Next time I might buy him a 'manlier' one (they come in black, navy blue, khaki). She's almost 22 mos now, and he wears her in the Ergo.

Wife to a great DH, SAHM to 3 great kids
#7 of 10 Old 08-12-2010, 11:12 AM

dh has a pouch sling, a black cuddlywrap, and a babyhawk. for the babyhawk we got a reversible one so it's girly on one side for me and more "manly" on the other for him. the cuddlywrap is his favorite for when baby is little and he carries them on his front. once their bigger, he uses the mei tai for back carries.

wife to dh, mama to dd1   june 2007, dd2 march 2009 and dd3 april 2011
#8 of 10 Old 08-12-2010, 12:19 PM

I am going to make DH his own ring sling in blue shades. The BECO that we bought is dark brown with aquamarine panthers on it. Not what I wanted, but I wanted to get one DH said he would wear, too. He tried it on of his own accord when it came, and pronounced it "pretty nice." I'm going to make a moby-type wrap and a woven guaze wrap, too, but those will both be neutral colors. The mei tai I am making, though, is just for me; although it is khaki and blue so DH would totally wear it if he liked mei tais. But, I'm not a flowery-pink type of girl, so it's easy for us to find prints he is willing to wear.

As for what he actually prefers once Squirt gets here; guess I"ll have to wait and see!

Emily--Married to the love of my life 2008--Joyful mommy to Rachel Elizabeth 12/10
PM me about low supply; insufficient glandular tissue; posterior tongue tie; lip tie bfinfant.gif
#9 of 10 Old 08-12-2010, 04:43 PM

DH uses the Beco and now with the new one a mei tai. He still needs coaching on getting either kiddo on his back, though is better with DD (22mths). He's tried wrapping but he doesn't do it often enough to get good.

He wears DS (3 mths) on his front in the mei tai every day and needs no assistance with this.

Leila, mama to Eleanor (10/08) and Emmett (4/10)

Visit my blog! www.rookblog.com

#10 of 10 Old 08-13-2010, 10:19 AM

The Ergo. And nothing else, He wears them froggy style until they're big enough to have legs out, and then switches to his back when they're big enough for that. He let me wrap ds3 on him once and admitted it was much comfier in a front carry, but has no interest in learning to do it himself.
Which is why he also can't fathom why I would need more than one carrier

Mama to Finn (04/05) Arlo (04/07) and Henry (04/10)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page