Babywearing a newborn in general (and plus sized in specific) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 08-13-2010, 07:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So, I joined this group on Facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/BabywearingSafety

And this post just came through:
http://momotics.com/safety-in-baby-wearing/

So after reading it, I'm a bit confused.

I used a sling with my youngest 3 kids, but most frequently with my youngest 2, who are now 9 and 7. I had a Nojo (which I didn't really like, or use very much), a Maya Wrap ring sling (which I mostly used when they were older babes), a cotten mesh tester from Kangaroo Korner (which I started using when the 9 yo was about 5 months), and a padded OTSBH (which I used fairly early with my youngest).

So now, according to that post, none of those are safe to use early on.

We are expecting again, and well, I'm pretty plus sized. What should I be using? What is going to fit me? I never bothered trying a Mei Tai or anything similar, because I didn't think it would fit. And I have the added issue of having a DH that is much thinner than me.

Help!

He who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe is as good as dead; his eyes are closed.  ~Albert Einstein
#2 of 3 Old 08-13-2010, 08:53 PM

That post was a bit confusing. The point that (I think) they were trying to make is that in bag style slings, it's basically impossible to position a newborn so that they can't curl into the "C" position. However, none of the carriers you mention are technically bag style slings.

The Nojo and the OTSBH are what is called a "closed tail" ring sling. The Maya Wrap is an "open tail" ring sling. A closed tail sling makes it much harder to position a newborn in the safest position, upright and facing the wearer, because it doesn't allow for a piece by piece adjustment around the baby. The Maya Wrap with it's open tail does allow for this, and does the job pretty well too. The Kangaroo Korner, as an adjustable pouch, is usually used for a cradle type carry with a newborn. I found though (had a fleece KK) that the extra depth of the pouch actually made for a fairly decent, legs in front carry for a newborn. You just need to make sure it's snug enough. Your mileage may vary there, though.

So what should you be using with your new baby? Well, simply put, whatever works best for you. There are a lot of very safe options for newborns. My top two recommendations for the newborn period are (open tail) ring slings and wraps. Both will allow for fine tuning the tightness of the carrier around the baby and give proper head, neck, and back support. The runner up to those would be a mei tai. As a fellow plus size mama (somewhere around a US size 18) I can say that I have worn all different types of carriers and never had a really hard time finding one that fit right. From an aesthetic point of view, ring slings and wraps don't accentuate the "fluff" quite so much as mei tais and buckle carriers, which tend to have thinner straps. Wraps come in a variety of sizes, ring slings can be made longer, mei tais come with extra long straps, and even some buckle carriers are made with plus sized wearers in mind.

So do some online window shopping, see if there is a babywearing group near you, and just dive in. I'm sure you'll find something that will work.

*mama to c 2/2000, v 2/2004, p 9/2006, and h 12/2012*

one of the mamas behind BeanTreeBaby.com ...Gear for Growing Families!

#3 of 3 Old 08-13-2010, 11:09 PM

A non-stretchy wrap. Something that will be forgiving of a new wrapper (some wraps can sort of dig into you a bit if not carefully and expertly spread out.)
Look for a Girasol, Storchenwiege Leo, or Dolcino. Not an exhaustive list, but my favorites that won't break the bank.
Locate an experienced and/or certified babywearing instructor near you and get linked up with your local babywearing group, if available.
Learn to tie your baby in an upright position curved around one of your breasts, or nestled between them. Your instructor will show you how.
Learn the "Front Wrap Cross Carry" with your babe in two possible positions...legs inside the wrap, and legs out (but supported to at least the knees, of course). This will give you options for wearing him/her when asleep, or when awake and needing to flex legs and arms.
You will be able to share a wrap with your husband. A good woven wrap will conform to differing shapes and sizes of parents (and babies).
pm me if you have worries or questions

Karin, mom to W (6.5) and wife to B.Babywearing Educator serving New England since 2005. NBPBWI-trained

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page