Ergo Infant Insert question - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 08-18-2010, 12:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
My baby is 12 weeks old and we've been using both the Moby wrap and the Ergo with the infant insert. I'm not sure if we're using the insert correctly, although we are following the instructions. The thing is, my baby's feet slide down into the part of the carrier that I guess you could call the "belt" (the part in the front of my waist), and sometimes even poke out the bottom. Is this okay? He is otherwise totally secure in the carrier. The only other option (I think) would be to spread his legs out and pull his feet through the sides, as you would with an older baby or child, but I think I remember reading that while they're still so young you shouldn't spread the legs like that. Also, going by the guideline that a baby should be positioned in a carrier as you would carry them with your arms, well, when in arms his legs would not spread that wide apart. His upper legs would, but the feet always want to come together, so it's pulling the feet so wide apart that it seems like he's not ready for yet.

Also, how long did you use the infant insert for? It says 4-5 months in the manual. Did you find this to be the case?

Thanks.

Mama since 2010
Multicultural living in Europe
#2 of 14 Old 08-18-2010, 12:47 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Check out The Ergo Lady for alternatives on the Infant Insert. 4-5 months is pretty long; you can get away without it sooner than that. It is not cool if baby's legs are sliding down the waist band. The waist band needs to be snug and tight against you. The Ergo should form a pocket and baby's tush should be supported in there. Which insert do you have? The original or the H2H (it has a removable pillow on the bottom). Anyway, either way, I am more a fan of baby sitting sideways, very high like a sling, and every so slightly reclined than the documented positioning. You need to be able to monitor baby's safety and high and close enough to kiss is always better.

Naomi, Just finished a transformation
#3 of 14 Old 08-18-2010, 12:54 PM

Honestly? I never used the infant insert. I froggied her legs in the carrier. And when even that wasn't enough I folded a towel under her.

By 12 weeks I think I was half froggying and half splaying. As in, one leg was froggied up, one leg was hanging out of the carrier.

Hippie sympathizer and mom to L, 4.8.10.
Pet-mom to Squirt with FLUTD & Maya the deaf wonder dog .
#4 of 14 Old 08-18-2010, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhiOrion View Post
Honestly? I never used the infant insert. I froggied her legs in the carrier. And when even that wasn't enough I folded a towel under her.

By 12 weeks I think I was half froggying and half splaying. As in, one leg was froggied up, one leg was hanging out of the carrier.
An excellent plan so long as you remember safe positioning!

#5 of 14 Old 08-18-2010, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by e.naomisandoval View Post
An excellent plan so long as you remember safe positioning!
Yep, knees above butt at all times. Back straight or close to it. Nose clear (this was and is the most difficult one, she likes to bury her head)

Hippie sympathizer and mom to L, 4.8.10.
Pet-mom to Squirt with FLUTD & Maya the deaf wonder dog .
#6 of 14 Old 08-18-2010, 01:33 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by e.naomisandoval View Post
Check out The Ergo Lady for alternatives on the Infant Insert. 4-5 months is pretty long; you can get away without it sooner than that. It is not cool if baby's legs are sliding down the waist band. The waist band needs to be snug and tight against you. The Ergo should form a pocket and baby's tush should be supported in there. Which insert do you have? The original or the H2H (it has a removable pillow on the bottom). Anyway, either way, I am more a fan of baby sitting sideways, very high like a sling, and every so slightly reclined than the documented positioning. You need to be able to monitor baby's safety and high and close enough to kiss is always better.
Thanks for that website, it's really good!
We have the heart2heart insert. I hadn't even realized the pillow is removable! Maybe if we take it out that would help...??
I'll try the sideways positioning next time, see how that goes. It may also be better as the baby loves to check everything out and he can see more that way.

ETA: So we just tried the sideways carry, and it seemed great, until I looked in the mirror and saw his legs were purple! I also tried it without the insert, same thing. I adjusted him several times and still the legs were purple. Not really sure where they were being cut off. I then just tried him in there without the insert, with his legs folded in the froggie position (above the waist band) and it worked just fine! I'd like to try the side carry again because he seemed to like it. I hope I can get him so his legs work in that position.

Mama since 2010
Multicultural living in Europe
#7 of 14 Old 09-20-2010, 11:33 AM

I just tried the side postion with the H2H insert a few days ago, and her legs turned purple right away, too! (thank goodness for mirrors). I tried going without the insert, but at 9 wks and 12+ lbs she seemed too small and slid down too far to support her back. Stuffing a blanket in the bottom positioned her perfectly, with froggy legs inside.
#8 of 14 Old 09-20-2010, 11:46 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
The thing is, my baby's feet slide down into the part of the carrier that I guess you could call the "belt" (the part in the front of my waist), and sometimes even poke out the bottom. Is this okay?
If you are talking about the bottom belt which buckles around your waist, then no, it is not okay if his feet are sliding down into it. It needs to be tightened more to ensure that he does not slide down under it.

#9 of 14 Old 09-21-2010, 02:35 AM

Count me in as another mama trying to figure out the Egro plus heart to heart insert. My Ergo just arrived tonight, and I thought the whole thing would be a piece of cake since I'm loving my Mei Tai so much. Well, not so much. I'm a large busted mama and between me, the baby and the insert, the body of the Ergo seemed super short. After DD was asleep tonight I tried the Ergo with just the insert (sans baby). I think I've got it adjusted better, but we'll see in the morning.

~m. Mama to two! DS (11/2006) and DD (07/2010).

#10 of 14 Old 09-21-2010, 11:34 PM

Does this help? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7BsH8KfByM

#11 of 14 Old 09-22-2010, 12:42 AM

WildinTheory, I am also a well-endowed woman & the Ergo is my favorite carrier. I never did even try an infant insert. I used different carriers (ring sling & a wrap) until dd2 was about three months old. Then I started carrying her just as Rhiorion explained: one leg folded & one leg dangling. Worked perfectly! DD2 leaned to the side & chewed on the strap She is now big enough to carry regular & my boobies do not get in the way at all. I am about to start carrying her on my back, too.

With so many other awesome carriers, I don't really see a reason to fiddle w/ the infant insert. Seems like WAY more trouble to me than using a wrap.

jumpers.gif

DD (4.25.08)  DD (4.23.10)  DD (10.13.12)

#12 of 14 Old 09-22-2010, 01:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogretro View Post
WildinTheory, I am also a well-endowed woman & the Ergo is my favorite carrier. I never did even try an infant insert.
Hmm... I'll have to practice with it some more then. The insert doesn't really seem to be the problem but rather that the straps are kinda digging in under my arms. But I did much better with it today than yesterday so I'll keep trying. She's still only two months old so saving it for when she's older might be a good idea too.

~m. Mama to two! DS (11/2006) and DD (07/2010).

#13 of 14 Old 06-28-2011, 12:25 PM

We have an ergo and aren't really using the infant insert. DS is coming up on 5 weeks.

We tried using the insert several times, but he cries each time we use it- without it he's happy as a clam.

As long as his knees aren't going up past his butt, his spine is straight, and is legs arent going through the belt at the bottom, is there really a need for the insert?

"The Mothers are the brave ones." - Call the Midwife

#14 of 14 Old 06-29-2011, 11:35 AM

Proper positioning for baby should be like this.

Baby's legs bent about 90* about  level with baby's belly button, and spread about shoulder width apart and maintains the lower curve. Supporting that lower curve allows for proper growth and development of the hip, femur, and the pelvis. This shape should be supported for baby until baby walks well.

The Heart to Heart insert is designed to maintain young babies in this shape.

The Ergo can be used with out the insert when baby is sitting well and is splaying its legs himself.

femalesling.GIF Tiffany ClauWi Certified Baby Wearing Consultant, Educator and e-tailer femalesling.GIF

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page