DD2 doesn't like mei tai or hotsling when awake--what to get? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 08-30-2010, 03:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi all,

DD2 is almost ten weeks old, and weighs about 11 pounds. I've been using the same two carriers with her that I did with DD1: a hotsling non-adjustable pouch, and a BabyHawk mei tai. She does great with both when asleep/very sleepy and getting ready to go to sleep. Problem is, she does not like them when she's awake--so they are not promoting the "quiet state of alertness" I'd like to promote! I'm thinking it might be because she's like to face out more, rather than being snuggled into a pouch or facing my chest in the mei tai. So, any suggestions for what kind of carrier she might actually like being awake in? I'm willing to try a wrap, but I'd like one that isn't TOO too hard to tie (as I don't really consider myself to be the most talented at figuring out new carriers!). TIA.

Wife to DH 6/05 partners.gif and mommy to DD1, born 10/07 dust.gif and DD2, born June 2010 energy.gif, and one cat.gif! We bftoddler.gif, familybed2.gif, and homeschool.gif

#2 of 11 Old 08-31-2010, 10:46 AM - Thread Starter

Nobody? please?

Wife to DH 6/05 partners.gif and mommy to DD1, born 10/07 dust.gif and DD2, born June 2010 energy.gif, and one cat.gif! We bftoddler.gif, familybed2.gif, and homeschool.gif

#3 of 11 Old 08-31-2010, 08:29 PM

My son is right around this age (he's actually 15 wks). It seems like his eyesight is developing more, and he's into seeing what's "out there". It sucks for my spinal health/balance, but I've been wearing him in a ring sling, kangaroo style.
http://zolowear.com/WearingKangaroo.aspx
#4 of 11 Old 08-31-2010, 09:28 PM - Thread Starter

Hmm, yes, my DD1 really liked that carry at around 4-5 months. I've been trying it with DD2 in my hotsling lately, and sometimes she's ok with it--but still gets grumpy pretty fast. Maybe it's having her legs bunched up that she doesn't like? Not sure. (And I know what you mean about it hurting your back!) I was thinking maybe she'd like the lotus hold in a wrap, maybe a Moby? Not sure...

#5 of 11 Old 08-31-2010, 09:50 PM

Why not try a high back carry with your MT? She'll be able to see the world & it's easier on your back/her pelvis than the forward facing position

mom to all boys B: 08/01ribboncesarean.gif,  C: 07/05 uc.jpg, N: 03/09 uc.jpg, M: 01/12 uc.jpg and far too many lost onesintactlact.gifsaynovax.gif

#6 of 11 Old 09-01-2010, 03:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devaskyla View Post
Why not try a high back carry with your MT? She'll be able to see the world & it's easier on your back/her pelvis than the forward facing position
That's exactly what I was going to say, my DD (2 1/2months) is happy on my back when she's not happy anywhere else. Either that or you could do a high cradle in a wrap or RS, it just depends on how good baby's head control is.

Mama of 3, living in beautiful British Columbia Canada.

http://velcroandvideogames.wordpress.com/

#7 of 11 Old 09-01-2010, 01:05 PM - Thread Starter

Is it ok to do a high back carry in a mei tai when baby is just 10 weeks? I thought they needed to be at least six months old...? Or does it all just depend on head control? Thanks!

#8 of 11 Old 09-01-2010, 01:51 PM

It's challenging, but there are directions on youtube on how to do a HBC with a newborn. I've done it myself, but the challenge was just too much (that was with a wrap- I think a mei tei would be easier).
#9 of 11 Old 09-01-2010, 02:41 PM

Have you tried different positions in your MT or pouch? My DS prefered to sit sideways at that age, and when he got older, facing me was no longer an issue for him.

Mama to twins, my little guy, and
#10 of 11 Old 09-02-2010, 07:33 PM

I will echo suggestions for a high back carry or hip carry with whatever carriers work for you. I learned to do a high rucksack with a woven around that time because ds only really like to be worn when sleepy/sleeping.
Rucksack with a wrap
with a mei tai

Mama to Finn (04/05) Arlo (04/07) and Henry (04/10)
#11 of 11 Old 09-04-2010, 01:42 AM

I think you should just keep trying the same carriers since your baby is soooooo young. My DD hated being worn at the beginning. Around 3-4 months was when she kinda got it.

enjoying motherhood way more than science:
married to DH love.gif (2003) mama to DDenergy.gif(Nov 2008) & DSbabyf.gif   (Mar 2011)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page