MW wants me to stop babywearing - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-03-2010, 02:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
we met with a homebirth midwife last night and are likely going to work with her, but one thing she said, well two, really disappointed me. Doesn't want me to do yoga and doesn't want me BABYWEARING pretty much as soon as I get pg....Boooooooooooo. Whats everyone else's esperience with this? The problem is DS has mild SPD, so for him, the pressure and weight of being in the ergo is extremely soothing for him. Sometimes its just down right necessary. I don't mind doing it a lot less, but not at all seems drastic and also unfair to him. My hubby brought up all these tribal african women, in his words "who run around with a baby on one boob and another on their backs, with one in the hopper." What's everyones opinion on BWWP (baby wearing while preggo)?

Erin photosmile2.gif  treehugger.gif, DH jammin.gif ,  Mumma to Chase 7/08 superhero.gif and babyf.gif Griff 3/13

MTHFR C677T Homozygous, M/C 2/07 @ 6wks, 12/10 @8wks, 10/11@7wks, 2/12 @4wks.... 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-03-2010, 02:52 PM

I would think that in most situations it would be fine!

If you were having any pre term labor signs, were high risk (and even then, only certain types of high risk), or on any sort of bed rest, I'd think you'd want to avoid it. And depending on how things go you might want to stop just because it might start to hurt.

But if everything is going smoothly, and you're comfortable, I can't see what it would hurt.

And, lots of pregnant people do yoga!

Hippie sympathizer and mom to L, 4.8.10.
Pet-mom to Squirt with FLUTD & Maya the deaf wonder dog .
Old 09-03-2010, 04:14 PM

did you ask her why? because as long as some of the poses are modified yoga is usually considered beneficial during pregnancy. and as long as you're using a carrier that distributes weight well and aren't experiencing back or hip problems I can't think of any reason babywearing would be bad. It's way better than carrying a toddler around in your arms or on your hip all the time. I'm 3 months preg and wear my 15 month old.

Marissa, Partner to J geek.gif, SAHM to A (05/09)fly-by-nursing1.gif and I (03/11)stork-boy.gif. we cd.gif
selectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gifnocirc.giffemalesling.GIFecbaby2.gif part-time and familybed1.gif through infancy. planning ahomebirth.jpg
Old 09-03-2010, 04:50 PM

That is so odd! What was her explaination?

Berkeley mom of 3 and President of Tender Cargo Baby Gear
and The Nurture Center Store and Resource Center 3399 Mt Diablo Bl Lafayette CA 888-998-BABY
Old 09-03-2010, 05:00 PM

I would consider that uneducated advice unless she had specified certain carrier models and carrying positions as being risky to pregnancy (or unless you had a specific risk).

Also, I would consider it uneducated advice to rule out yoga altogether (assuming, again, no particular risks in your pregnancy). Naturally there are some positions contraindicated in pregnancy. It would have been quite reasonable for her to suggest that you make sure you do so-called "pregnancy yoga."

"Bah," I say. "Bah."

Homeschooling mama to 6 year old DD.

Old 09-04-2010, 09:58 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks Girls! She's a 30 yr experience homebirth mw with only 1 transfer in the last 2 years, delivered 1500 babies, yada yada. I would be really surprised if it was "uneducated" seeing as how every other topic she blows us away, but may be. I was wearing an ergo and she commented about the pressure the belt would put across my belly. With yoga, I do Vinyasa at 85* currently and she didn't like the heat, nor the length of the practice, 90 min.

Erin photosmile2.gif  treehugger.gif, DH jammin.gif ,  Mumma to Chase 7/08 superhero.gif and babyf.gif Griff 3/13

MTHFR C677T Homozygous, M/C 2/07 @ 6wks, 12/10 @8wks, 10/11@7wks, 2/12 @4wks.... 

Old 09-04-2010, 10:17 AM

When I was pregnant with #4 I had to stop carrying #3 very early on, like before 12 weeks I think. I would put him in the Ergo and it was really uncomfortable - even painful. It hurt my back and hip and did put too much pressure on my belly. But if you don't have those issues then you will probably be able to continue to BW. Or perhaps look into doing a hip or back carry.
Old 09-04-2010, 02:59 PM

Maybe it is the belly pressure then, that she didn't like for you? And as you said the heat and length of yoga.

Have you tt her about a ring sling or other carrier with less belly pressure? And have you asked whether rather than drop the yoga, she would be comfortable with you modifying it as PP have said, to keep it pregnancy appropriate?

She wouldn't have liked my carrying practices-- when DS2 was on the way, I regularly carried DS1 who was 5yo at the time-- just lifted him above the bump and piggy back rides att!

And your DH is right about women traditionally carrying at least one baby while expecting, but they do not usually have carriers that sit on, go around, or put pressure on the belly-- they are usually attached to shoulders or even around breasts, and the weight is on hips or back...
Old 09-04-2010, 03:18 PM

I think you should listen to your body...if it feels ok, fine, if it hurts, stop.

Mama to twins, my little guy, and
Old 09-04-2010, 04:21 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I wore the ergo with my kids through this last pregnancy... as long as you put the belt down on your hips (below your belly) it's not uncomfortable at all. I think I can agree with her that having something up on your belly pushing on the uterus might not be a good plan, though.

Also, I think it sorta makes sense not to do the heat yoga, but other kinds of yoga are better. I would think for the same reason as not going into a sauna or a hot tub while pregnant, kwim?

Jenna ~ mommy to Sophia Elise idea.gif  (1/06), Oliver Matthew  blahblah.gif (7/07) and Avery Michael fly-by-nursing1.gif(3/10)

dizzy.gif Wading slowly and nervously into this homeschooling thing.

Old 09-04-2010, 08:55 PM

I couldn't use the Ergo in either of my subsequent pregnancies pretty much immediately. Around 10 weeks with preg #2 and around 7 weeks with preg #3. It was seriously uncomfortable. I switchde to woven wraps and did ties that landed above the fundus. But, then, I also give up on the babywearing altogether somewhere around the midway point. It's just too much strain on my body and my kids have always been over two with no objections to the stroller at that point.

I bet if you explored some other carrier options that don't put pressure on the fundus you can find a solution that will work for you (a rebozo in a ruck carry with a tibetan tie perhaps?).

me, wife to dh, the movie geek (7/01), mama to ds1, budding Star Wars geek (10/05), dd, budding princess of the dirt (03/08) and ds2, budding extrovert. watch out! (8/10).
Old 09-05-2010, 05:13 AM

It became uncomfortable for me to babywear after the first trimester. I had a ring sling I would use occasionally, but my toddler was a busy body by then anyway. It was easier to just carry him on my hip when needed!

I agree your body will tell you if something isn't right.

mama to 2 busy boys (may 2007 & december 2008)

User Tag List