I am new and have a question about slings,please. - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 03-20-2004, 03:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello,
I am new to mdc. I came looking for an answer to a question. I have always held my daughter (she will be 4 months next week),
I also use one of those front cariers. I had never heard of babywearing or slings until a few weeks ago, when I started going online.
My question is: is it to late to introduce a sling. And are they easier to use than the carrier. When she is in the carrier my hands are free, but I still can't use them unless I stand sideways.

Thank you in advance,
Tina
#2 of 6 Old 03-20-2004, 04:14 PM

Hi Tina, I'm Tina as well!

I didn't introduce my ds to a sling until he was about 5 months old. We have a front carrier, and he seemed to like that until about 3 months old. I bought an OTSBH sling, but I didn't use it because I couldn't figure out how. Actually, I didn't try very hard. I had some weird aversion to wearing one...didn't want to look to "earthy crunchy". Heehee My dh kept commenting on how ds would probably love it in there, so finally I busted it out and after a few tries, I had it down. He loves the thing. Serioulsy, I really think he would live in there if he could. He is 8 months old now and still loves it. I have been tempted to wear him all day long to see if he would still be content in it that long, but I haven't made it that far. LOL He is an impossible napper, but he will always fall right to sleep in the sling while I am putzing around. It is very easy to get things done while he is just hanging out. Plus, I am a rather busty mama, so I bought a size large and it is great. Even dh wears it. He is such a good daddy!
If you have a cuddler who loves to be held, I think you will find that she really likes it. It does take a few tries to get it right, but that is fun too.
Hope that helps.
Tina

Tina ~ SAHcarrot.gif- head Mama to - 

DS blowkiss.gif(07/'03), DD energy.gif(05'05), DS, unplanned UC sleepytime.gif(01/'09), DD joy.gif(06/'11) ...

SURPRISE!  dizzy.gifNew little one, due Sept. 2013

#3 of 6 Old 03-20-2004, 05:47 PM

It's definitely not too late! I suggest finding some moms locally, like at a LLL meeting or API meeting, who have different types of slings you can try out. I loved a sling with padded rails when my girls were very little but after trying an unpadded Maya wrap, I was hooked and never went back to the padded kind. There are so many neat slings being made now. And they can be used for so long! My oldest rode in hers on my hip until she was 2.5 (would have been longer but had to quit when I was 4 mos preg w/#2).
#4 of 6 Old 03-20-2004, 06:15 PM

Oh absolutely not too late!! You will love it! You might need to work up to wearing it more and more..... it will hurt your back if you wear it too much the first day!

Enjoy!

Kimberly
#5 of 6 Old 03-21-2004, 12:30 AM

Hi Tina,

Definitely not too late! I was using a Bjorn, but switched to a Maya Pouch (different from the Maya Wrap) when DS was 4 months or so. We both love it! Now, he is big enough that he can sit it in - either on my hip or behind me so I can cook, etc.
#6 of 6 Old 03-21-2004, 12:44 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you Ladies. I am very excited . There are sooo many to choose from. Thank you all for the advice and support.

Tina

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page