Sling/Wrap ONLY for newborns? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 21 Old 09-20-2010, 03:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've found a lot of carriers that look great- except I don't want to be able to carry my baby in 15 different ways, I was a simple wrap/sling that comes on and off with one motion, but one that covers both my shoulders so I don't have one aching shoulder. I have an ergo for when baby is older, I just want a simple newborn one, does it exist?

Christian SAHM & birth doula.
#2 of 21 Old 09-20-2010, 03:57 PM

I don't think you can beat the Moby for the nb stage. I lived in that thing for a good 4 months! I also had one baby who loved the ring sling in a tummy to tummy hold for the newborn period- but that is a 1 shouldered carrier..
#3 of 21 Old 09-20-2010, 04:04 PM

Beco Obi if you can find one. I don't know why they don't make em anymore.
#4 of 21 Old 09-20-2010, 04:11 PM

A stretch wrap is my favorite and a two shoulder carrier, but not a "one motion" on/off kind of thing. If you don't think you have patience for wrapping, there are some soft structured carriers (aka buckle carriers) that you can use with newborns. The Ergo has an infant insert and so do Olives & Applesauce and Beco Butterfly 2. There may be more I am forgetting, but that is what comes to mind right now.

Ruth, mama to 2 little monkeys and owner of Zerberts
Helping you find the perfect baby carrier! Risk Free Shopping and FREE SHIPPING!
#5 of 21 Old 09-20-2010, 04:21 PM - Thread Starter

I have the patience for wrapping, but I know my two little ones will not when this baby is born. I had the Ultimate Baby Wrap I liked how it felt but not how long it took to wrap, and honestly my baby's didn't like it and it seemed like I had to figure out how to get them in every time instead of just plopping them in one position.

#6 of 21 Old 09-20-2010, 04:33 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
honestly, I would time how long it takes an experienced wrapper to put on a moby. i was shocked how fast I could do it when faced with a screaming child. I never learned any other carry besides the newborn one.

Texmati-- Knitter, Hindu, vegetarian, WOHM. Wife to superdadsuperhero.gif and mom to DS babyf.gif24 months, and DD boc.gif 8 months! .

#7 of 21 Old 09-21-2010, 01:03 AM

How about the baby k'tan?

Paula, mama to DS M (7/2010) sleepytime.gif and Watson (1998) dog2.gif and welcoming baby Penny (8/1/2013) babyf.gif

#8 of 21 Old 09-21-2010, 01:13 AM

you could always rent a carrier to see what works best for you.

Maria
stay at home mom to 2 girls 11/20/03,3/09/07 and 2 boys  2/28/05 and 11/16/10 and one on the way 1/13/12

#9 of 21 Old 09-21-2010, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texmati View Post
honestly, I would time how long it takes an experienced wrapper to put on a moby. i was shocked how fast I could do it when faced with a screaming child. I never learned any other carry besides the newborn one.
Yep. I could get my little one on in the Moby in less time than it toom me to put him in a mei tai and about the same time as it took to get him situated in the ring sling. Oh- mei tai- that might be a good option as well since you can scrunchi the bottom or froggie- and it lasts a long time.
#10 of 21 Old 09-21-2010, 05:53 PM

Well, moby was my favorite, even with 2 older toddlers waiting on me. The baby k'tan is an option, but I haven't tried that one.

Mama to twins, my little guy, and
#11 of 21 Old 09-22-2010, 02:19 PM - Thread Starter

is the moby easier to wrap then The Ultimate Baby Wrap?

#12 of 21 Old 09-22-2010, 11:33 PM

I am not sure, but I think my friend had one of these and ended up getting a Moby because The Ultimate Baby Wrap was way to stretchy. I can't remember for sure, but I am pretty sure it was the same brand. I think they are the same style as a Moby. Sleepy Wrap is another stretch wrap and there are tons of other brands out there too. People even make their own by buying a stretch jersey fabric from the store.

Ruth, mama to 2 little monkeys and owner of Zerberts
Helping you find the perfect baby carrier! Risk Free Shopping and FREE SHIPPING!
#13 of 21 Old 09-23-2010, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebeingamomma View Post
is the moby easier to wrap then The Ultimate Baby Wrap?
They are both worn the same way (I believe), but the moby uses better quality fabric than the UBW. Moby has wrapping instructions here.

Mama to twins, my little guy, and
#14 of 21 Old 09-23-2010, 11:41 PM

I also love the stretchy wrap for the little stage. Once you do it a few times it gets easier! We have a homemade one...just a long piece of cotton knit.

Mama to three

#15 of 21 Old 09-25-2010, 09:26 PM

I've been trying them all with my little one (7 weeks and less than 10 pounds) and I really like the stretchy wraps. I have 2, both DIY wraps. One is made from bamboo/cotton and I think a small percentage of spandex (?) and it's very nice and light and easy to pop her in and out, but I doubt it would last as she gets heavier. I have to tie it tight and then stretch her in there, sompared to the other DIY wrap that I tie with some room for baby. It is a cheap cotton jersey and I see it lasting longer as far as support goes. If I had to get ONE thing for a newborn, it would probably be a stretchy wrap.

I just got a pikkolo, though, and that is really nice and my husband loves it. Very easy and it'll last a while
#16 of 21 Old 09-28-2010, 04:09 PM

I timed myself putting on the Moby, and i seem to recall it taking me about 48 seconds, not including the time it took to pull it out of the bag or him out of the carseat. My mai tai can take that long.

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

#17 of 21 Old 09-28-2010, 10:05 PM

I put my vote in for the jersey material Moby. Its been so long since I've been to their site I dont' know if theey offer thicker. woven fabrics. Granted you may have to wash it every few days as it will stretch out a bit, it was super soft and easy to manipulate. I graduated to a storchewiege when my guy was about 4 months and heftier.
#18 of 21 Old 09-28-2010, 10:39 PM

I never did get the hang of wrapping, despite everyone telling me how simple it was. I think I needed someone to show me in person, and I don't know anyone else who babywears locally.

I ended up trying out my Beco Butterfly when ds was four days old. I was shocked at how well it worked out for us. After a couple of tries, I was able to get him in properly in under a minute. So far, I'm still loving my Beco. DS is 4 months old now.

.:*~*:.Sarah.:*~*:.
Married to my best friend SAHM to ds1(1/04) and ds2 (5/10)
#19 of 21 Old 09-29-2010, 12:07 AM

I used a woven wrap as my NB carrier just because I tend to birth 9+lb-ers and they're 13+lbs by 6 weeks. There's no way a stretchy wrap would have been supportive enough past the first 2 months. A woven wrap OTOH, I used from NB to my now 3yo.

Mama to Emma (7) and Sarah (5)

#20 of 21 Old 09-29-2010, 11:43 AM

Isn't the ergo insert for newborns?
I just received mine and it looks as if it will work just fine.
I also have a balboa sling that someone gave me as a gift.

http://www.ergobabycarriers.com/baby...infant_insert/
#21 of 21 Old 09-29-2010, 12:36 PM

I second the Pikkolo rec (or the new Beco Gemini).

Hippie sympathizer and mom to L, 4.8.10.
Pet-mom to Squirt with FLUTD & Maya the deaf wonder dog .

Tags
Babywearing , Pouch Slings , Ring Slings , Wraps

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page