Please help me wear my Kozy Carrier - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 03-21-2004, 09:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have a 2 yo DS who is a big mama fan. I need to hold & carry him a lot & have been trying to do so on my hip without any carrier. Then, I got the Kozy Carrier, which I had read great reviews of. I wanted a back carrier & I am pretty petite, and this seemed to fit the bill.

When DH helps me put it on, I love it--it is very comfortable & DS seems to like it, too. We went all ove NYC in it & DS even zonked out in it.

Problem is, I cannot cannot cannot get it on by myself. Even using the sofa. I posted this elsewhere, before the new forum, but thought I'd put it here, too.

Any advice?

It is not getting any use right now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 7 Old 03-21-2004, 10:40 PM

What I do is tie the waist strap first (obviously), then put ds on my back like I would for a piggy back ride..I feel to make sure his legs are out and then gradually pull the carrier up to cover his back (with one hand while holding him with the other, but he holds on to me, too), then I grab the straps and pull them over my shoulders...then switch them back to one hand and make sure ds is nice and down in the carrier then go back to having one strap in each hand and tightly pull them under my arms and back under his bottom and tie it there. LOL that sounds way more complicated than it actually is, I just wanted to make sure not to skip any step. HTH!
-Becky
#3 of 7 Old 03-21-2004, 11:27 PM

What about practicing using the above method with your dh in the background in case you need help. If you keep practicing like this you'll soon get the hang of it mama.
#4 of 7 Old 03-22-2004, 09:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by luvmy3boys
then put ds on my back like I would for a piggy back ride..
-Becky
OK--that's the part that gets me. Do I get him to crawl onto my back himself? I am a pretty uncoordinated person.
#5 of 7 Old 03-22-2004, 11:33 PM

You can either bend down (well bend your knees) and have him "climb" on your back...if he can't do that or it is hard for you to bend down then get back up with the added weight you can start with him on your hip (dominant side) then have your dominant arm in a C around him (he will be up against your arm and your hand is supporting his bottom...then just slide your arm (and thus your baby) around until he is on your back...make sense?
#6 of 7 Old 03-22-2004, 11:51 PM

Kiddo on my lap, so this will be brief.

I usually get ds to stand on the sofa where I sit down in front of him. Then I grab him by one of his hands over my shoulder and I use my other hand to reach around my back and scoop him under his butt. Does that make sense? Once he's on, I've taught him to lay flat while I bend slightly forward.
#7 of 7 Old 03-23-2004, 11:27 AM

It's hard, isn't it? It is much easier to get them in the front carry, but with practice you'll be able to do the back carry too.

I got my Kozy when ds was about 7 months old and it was scary putting him in the back carry! I had an Ergo previously, so I had a bit of practive. I tie the waist strap and then set ds on my hip. Then I lean forward and push him onto my back with the arm that is holding him on my hip. I have my other arm behind me to support him as I push him onto my back. Then I hold him with one arm as best as I can while grabbing one of the straps and bringing it over my shoulder. Then I hold that strap and swing the other strap over my shoulder as well. eta: the whole time I am still leaning forward until I have him securely in the carrier.

It sounds horribly complicated, but with practive it gets easier.

I have the feeling instead of helping, my instructions are going to scare people away from using a Kozy!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page