Stretchy wool wrap? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 09-22-2010, 03:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm trying to think of the easiest way to wear my baby in the winter since she can't wear a thick coat in the car seat and it's hard to fit those under a carrier anyways... Stretch wraps are so easy since they can be pre-tied and I can wear one under a big coat and just pop dd in and out. I especially want something quick because I live in the midwest and I'm not going to want to take my coat off and mess with trying to use a woven wrap in a parking lot during a blizzard or even taking off my coat to put a ssc carrier on... it gets pretty cold and windy here.

The wrap I have now is thin bamboo for the warm weather, but I have some awesome wool interlock that I've been using for diaper covers and I'm wondering if I should try buying 5 yards and using that as a winter wrap. I've heard gypsy mama used to make wool stretch wraps as well and may make them again in the future (I think theirs were 100% wool jersey).

Have you tried one? you think it would work?
#2 of 6 Old 09-23-2010, 07:27 PM

I would get a swatch of fabric first, to make sure it will have the right amount of give.

Mama to twins, my little guy, and
#3 of 6 Old 09-24-2010, 12:45 AM

I don't know about the wool wrap but I did find a carry that I can use with a woven wrap and put it on ahead of time and pop her in and out.
Here is the video I got it from
http://wrapababy.com/baby-wearing-wr...tructions/970/
maybe that would help for the winter.

Deb, Mom to Madeleine 8/2005 and Maia 11/2009 Nick: and Chris
#4 of 6 Old 09-25-2010, 07:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mom2M- Thanks! Does that feel secure to you?

ABO Mama- I have some wool from here: http://www.naturesfabrics.com/wool-fabrics.html, trying to decide if it is worth the $ for 5 yards for a wrap...
#5 of 6 Old 09-25-2010, 11:49 PM

Yes, it really is secure. I can adjust it fairly easily too, I put her in and went into the store and she felt like she was hanging down a little too much so I undid the knot and just bounced her up and re tied very easily.
I think it feels like her weight is less distributed over my body but not uncomfortable. I only use it for shorter trips like in the store. If I wear her longer, I use the regular front cross carry.

#6 of 6 Old 09-26-2010, 01:00 AM

oh, I just found this and it looks very cool, I can't wait till DD is awake to try it!
http://www.thebabywearer.com/forum/s...Pics-post-6%29

Go to post # 6 for the basic instructions but if you scroll down a bit to #28, another Mama did it with a slipknot and could then pop in and out!

You could do a slip knot with the other carry too and make it even easier to adjust!

Tags
Babywearing , Stretchy Wraps , Woven Wraps , Wraps

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page