Why more than one carrier? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 38 Old 09-24-2010, 12:07 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by busymama77 View Post
What I don't get is - not you, per se - but those that can spend $200 on a carrier or a wrap. But to each their own.
Well.. sometimes it is about quality... the only carrier that worked with ds#3 was a very sturdy woven wrap that cost about 200$... He was a big baby at 42 lbs at 12 months and I was not going to miss out on all of the benefits of babywearing just because of his size.

We also def. see the use of a carrier for an older child too... when you are out for a long day and a child can no longer walk it is way easier to use a carrier then to hold that child in your arms...

~paxye~
Mama to Xavier (July 02) , Colin (Sept 04), Khéna(Nov 06) & Wilhelmina (Jan 10)
#32 of 38 Old 09-24-2010, 04:27 PM

It is an expensive hobby, especially if there was no resale value in carriers. But used carriers have a really great resale value so even if one spends $150 on a wrap, one can usually recoup at least 80-90% of that back.

Mama to one 2 yr. old tornado banana.gif
#33 of 38 Old 09-24-2010, 04:38 PM

I have always thought about the fact that we don't use a stroller...a stroller costs what $500 (or a nice-ish one seems to anyways). I consider that as long as I stay under that I'm doing ok...

someone earlier in the thread indicated a good use for each different type, but frankly most of ours are wraps...that's what works for me. I have a RS and ergo...but wraps are amazing and I'm not ashamed to have more than one (I have 5). I also agree that the resale on them is fabulous and I know I'll get my money back when I am done with them. I can't imagine a stroller that I'd get my money back on.

I think wraps are like an accessory. They keep me from buying scarves and bags too...which I have just about enough of

earth honouring, tree hugging, yogi mamma to dd - my forest faerie (Feb/04) and ds - our new little bean born peacefully at home (01/02/11)

#34 of 38 Old 09-24-2010, 04:43 PM
Riu

I have three, a sling, a MT, and a simple piece of cloth wrap. I definitely use them each for different purposes.

The sling was great when I had a tiny newborn, and now I use it for a quick easy in and out carrier for short trips. I can't wear him in it for very long because he's too heavy now and I feel unbalanced.

I only know one carry in my wrap right now, but it is the only carrier I can nurse in. I loosen the knot and lower the whole thing. I am short with a small torso, and the front cross carry in a wrap is the only way I've found so far to nurse and babywear my 18 lb 9 month old at the same time.

The MT is my multifunctional workhorse. I can't manage a back carry with my wrap yet, but I can get him on my back in the MT. This carrier is my favorite for general use, but I can't nurse him in it because he is up way too high.

I don't see the need to have any more than I already have, and haven't spent that much on them. The sling was second-hand, I got it for $30 and it had never even been taken out of the package. The MT is what I spent the most on, and it is a Babyhawk, so I think it was in the $90 range, a little expensive for cheap me, but I use it all the time. The wrap is fabric I found on clearance for $2 a yard and hemmed up.

Rowan 12/19/09
#35 of 38 Old 09-24-2010, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by busymama77 View Post
Um, no, I never implied that at all. Gosh. Never thought this would be such a hot topic. Didn't mean to press any buttons. It's your hobby. I get that. What I don't get is - not you, per se - but those that can spend $200 on a carrier or a wrap. But to each their own.

And to the person that mentioned something about carriers for preschoolers - sure, if you have one that is under 40lbs, sure - maybe. I have a pre-schooler myself and I couldn't imagine wearing him. He's nearly 50lbs! But again, to each their own.

Carhootel - thank you for the links to being able to rent them out. Might be worth looking in to if I find myself in need of another carrier for maybe DH or a backup for the one that I have now.
I don't think is a 'hot topic' per se but you keep saying you 'don't get it' - I think people are just trying to help you see it from their point of view and tell you why having a variety of carriers is important to them (as they are to myself) which I assume is why you started this thread - you wanted to understand. Also, as you might see on TBW (since this comes up pretty frequently there) - when someone questions how someone else spends their money on carriers and says they wouldn't do that because they needed something more important (like things for their kids) then it's easy to see how it can feel (and look) like criticism. Even if it wasn't intended that way, which I am sure it wasn't!

You're welcome for the links to the rental programs, I hear really good things about these programs and I don't know what I would have done without my local babywearing group for letting me try out carriers - if you have one near you they often have lending libraries so you don't have to pay fees and stuff. Oh and you can totally carry a 40-50lb kid in a carrier! Check out kinderpacks weight limit, and check out this babyhawk 'oh snap!' that carries a 9 year old regularly - many of the expensive carriers are of very high quality and like I mentioned before and so did another poster - carriers have amazing resale value. I think of all the carriers that I've bought/sold/traded I have recouped 90% of what I have spent. I don't have any other hobbies like that!

Charlotte wife to B momma to Q 2/22/09
#36 of 38 Old 10-02-2010, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latte Mama View Post
It is an expensive hobby, especially if there was no resale value in carriers. But used carriers have a really great resale value so even if one spends $150 on a wrap, one can usually recoup at least 80-90% of that back.
Exactly. In fact, Of all the wraps I've bought and sold, I haven't lost a single penny in resale value. Shipping costs, yes, but I consider that to be my "rental fee"

I have 6 wraps (with 2 otw), and they all do different things and have different purposes. I use all of them, and I consider it very much to be my "collection". DH collects records, and I collect wraps. LOL

tea6.gifStudent mama to Lyra June loveeyes.gif (ribboncesarean.gif 10.24.09)  and Olive Isis love.gif  (vbac.gif12.12.11) 

#37 of 38 Old 10-05-2010, 07:42 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

2whistle.gif

#38 of 38 Old 10-05-2010, 09:12 PM

My favourite is the Moby wrap. My husband doesn't know how to wrap it so he uses the Ergo.

Formerly known as "JessicaRenee".  hang.gif  Single mama to Jude (Sept '09)!  biggrinbounce.gif

Tags
Babywearing , Soft Structured Carriers , Wraps , Woven Wraps , Stretchy Wraps , Ergo Baby

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page