new to this, want to wear baby on back - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 09-29-2010, 03:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi everyone, I hope you can give me some good tips. I'm due to give birth to child #2 in a month, and this time around I want to use a sling more than I did with the first one. With the first, I sewed a hand-made sling suggested by my midwife, but I chose a kind of stretchy cloth, which was stupid, because the baby ended up hanging down by my hips instead of up close where he needed to be. Ha ha ha. Plus, he fussed, protested, and wiggled every time I tried to put him in a sling, so I eventually just gave up, pretty much.
But this time, I'm determined to do things differently. For starters, I'll just bite the bullet and buy a professionally-made sling; that should help. And use the sling right from birth, so the baby just gets used to it from the start.

My main question, though, is this-- what is the best sling to use for carrying the baby on my back? That's how women from traditional cultures do it all over the world, and I see why. It's just plain hard to get anything done when the baby is in front. Even though your arms are free, you still have to reach over the baby, which is inconvenient when you're trying to cook or clean or type on the computer, and so on ...
So my priorities are #1--comfortable, #2--easy to use, and #3--at least somewhat stylish (sounds vain, I know...)
What brands and styles do you recommend, and what have your experiences been?
Thanks!
#2 of 6 Old 09-29-2010, 04:36 PM

if you are going to be putting a newborn on your back I suggest a woven wrap (make sure its not stretchy)

if you arent putting LO on your back until later on after they are bigger w/ head control, I'd suggest a mei tai or SSC.

In the beginning, I prefer a pouch/ring sling or a stretchy wrap on front when they are tiny. About 4 months I usually switch to a mei tai/SSC on front and about 6 months is when i started putting LO on my back this past time.

HTH

Melanie, SAHM to Kyley Grace (5)  Elijah Franklin (2) and Asher John (March 17th)
#3 of 6 Old 09-29-2010, 05:10 PM

Does anyone have a good guide for using a woven wrap for back carry (of an infant)? I've seen it suggested several times, but no one includes any information (or links) on HOW to do it. Or what websites carry woven wraps.
#4 of 6 Old 09-29-2010, 06:46 PM

Here are some backwrapping videos. This is how i learned!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sezEZykNNAk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zEpAOgYnqM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2amR7Z6UwA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hA_IXe0yg5w

There are TONS of different places to find woven wraps. I got mine at a local nursing store. I found another from a store online. I ordered one used from thebabywearer.com. Just do an internet search for "woven wrap" and see what you find!

Grace - wife to Jeff and mama to Nigella (11/08) and Orrin (01/10)- expecting a new addition (05/12)! Life is a whirlwind, but I'm learning to enjoy the ride!

#5 of 6 Old 09-30-2010, 12:43 AM

I agree with the PP definately go to www.thebabywearer.com and check out their wrapping section for tuts on how to wrap a newborn. and then check for sale or trade there for buying. I've always bought there, so i wouldnt know where to buy new (but i dont live in a very crunchy area so I dont have brick and mortar stores that would carry that stuff.

Melanie, SAHM to Kyley Grace (5)  Elijah Franklin (2) and Asher John (March 17th)
#6 of 6 Old 10-03-2010, 04:24 PM

I'm with the rest, thebabywearer.com and see if you can find anyone in your area with some experience. I found some ladies and evetually it became a BWing group and I learned and practiced with those ladies. It was a big help when I wanted to do a back carry since they could spot me and give me feedback.
I've bought all of wraps used from thebabywearer.com but there are several great online store for ordering new, like pieceofcloth.com.

I'm a Catholic homebirthing , Co-sleeping, babywearing, cloth diapering, breastfeeding momma to my DD, Audrey. Always in search of like-minded mommas in the Deep East Texas area, I know you are out there!

Tags
Babywearing , Pouch Slings , Ring Slings , Soft Structured Carriers

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page