Truly Hands Free - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 03-23-2004, 03:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have only ever used a sling with my nephew, so it wasn't full time by any means. But, I never totally felt "hands free" with it. I would always have one hand under his bum. Not really holding him up, but just sort of keeping him in place, KWIM.

Anyway, do any of you sling experts really use your slings totally hands free very often? Will I be able to use both hands frequently, or just occassionally?

So I guess my question is: Do feel like your sling is totally hands free (you can use your hands and even bend down and move around without putting your hand on your babe? If so, what sling do you use?

thanks!

#2 of 13 Old 03-23-2004, 04:35 PM

I can use both my Pea in a Pod Pouch and my kozy carrier hands free. I do usually still put a hand on my ds when bending, going upstairs, going through tight spaces, ect....not because I have to, but just to insure he stays put (and to insure that he isn't reaching out and grabbing stuff if he is on my back :LOL). HTH

-Becky
#3 of 13 Old 03-23-2004, 05:26 PM

DEFINITELY! I think it's normal when you first start using it to feel like you have to have a hand free, but now I rarely if ever feel that way! I love the freedom of slinging

Kimberly
#4 of 13 Old 03-23-2004, 05:30 PM

I can be hands free in almost any carrier, even while she's nursing, and I most often use the KKAFP and the Kozy. but she's older. When I first started slinging, when she was 5 months old, being hands free seemed like a pipe dream. It just took experience and practice to feel secure hands free.

-Kate
#5 of 13 Old 03-23-2004, 06:31 PM

I think it's like when you are really PG and you can't help but have your hand on your belly all the time, lol.

But yes, I have gone "totally hands free", like when I was washing my car one day and had DD in the back carry position. Or when I'm vaccuuming and she's in the hip carry position. Honestly it isn't all that often when I really need two hands all the time. It's nice to have that option though!

teapot2.GIF Homeschooling, Homesteading Mama to DD ('02) and DS ('04)  ribbonjigsaw.gif blogging.jpg homeschool.gif

#6 of 13 Old 03-23-2004, 09:32 PM

very easy to do with the hug-a-bub!

lorena
#7 of 13 Old 03-23-2004, 10:07 PM

I'm still practicing - but my Ellaroo wrap is definitely more hands free for me compared to my pouches and sling.
#8 of 13 Old 03-23-2004, 10:21 PM

I can use the ergo totally hands free.
#9 of 13 Old 03-23-2004, 10:32 PM

That's the beauty of the sling! I have three kids five and under and a puppy! The only way I've ever been able to do any cooking, cleaning, errands, childcare or doggy care has been because I can use both hands while wearing the sling (and the fact that with the sling you can put them on your hip or back - easier to work).

You'll feel better when it's your own baby and your own sling. You can adjust them in there as tight as you need for it to be secure.
#10 of 13 Old 03-24-2004, 12:46 AM
nym

I agree that I find it easier to be hands free with my Ella Roo than my ring sling But, that is because he is much more tied to me, and can't lean out.
#11 of 13 Old 03-24-2004, 02:25 AM

I use my Maya Wrap hands-free all the time. My little one is pretty heavy now - 19 months old and 28 pounds. We use the hip and back carry mostly and it's a breeze to carry him totally hands-free, but we've been using it for a very long time so we're both pretty comfortable with it.
#12 of 13 Old 03-24-2004, 03:49 AM

I feel completely confident about being hands-free with my baby bundler wrap sling with my 8-week-old, but not my other slings.

Keeping busy with 2 boys & 1 girl ('04, '06, '08)
#13 of 13 Old 03-24-2004, 02:40 PM

The Kozy is the only sling I can use hands-free but I haven't tried my maya in the back carry yet. I imagine that could be hands-free.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page