some questions... - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 03-23-2004, 03:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Okay, while this is my 3rd child, I have NEVER gotten the hang of a sling. First, the problem is that I have an OTSBH and I can't stand all the padding. I can't get it tight enough that it feels comfortable or safe, baby is always hanging somewhere around my pubic bone....and I know they all have picked up on my discomfort because thay all have hated it. nak, sorry... i have a front pack snuggli, which has been okay, not great, but okay, but dd (almost 7 months) is already approaching the weight limit on it!

So, i've been researching a lot and I think I've decided on either the kkfp(nervous about fleece, I tend to get pretty hot), or the kk unpadded sling, I like the idea of a longer tail so I could tandem in public comfortably, but I worry about there being no padding and cutting into dd's legs on the hip carry. The maya wrap looks cool, but seems like it would be difficult to learn to use. Does anyone have any ideas on which would be better? I really want something I can learn to use quickly, and, even better, could use with both infant and toddler. Thanks.
#2 of 6 Old 03-23-2004, 04:25 PM

It sounds like your OTSBH is a size too big if you can't get it tight enough and baby is that low. If you don't like the padding, that doesn't matter though. I started w/OTSBH and liked it-didn't seem too hot at the time.

I then got a maya wrap. It did take a bit longer to get used to, but as long as you have the cloth spread out- I haven't had a problem with it cutting the legs during the hip carry. You can use a maya with both newborn and toddler. My almost 2 year old is in there somewhat regularly, my almost 4 year old is in there once in a while and when ds was a nb- I carried him in there. The tail is really nice for nursing.

I haven't used the others, so I can't say anything about them.

Michelle -mom to Katlyn 4/00 , Jake 3/02, and Seth 5/04
#3 of 6 Old 03-23-2004, 06:36 PM

I have a Maya and I practiced alot with it while I was PG so I at least had the hang of using it. It did take a bit to figure out what DD liked best in terms of carrying position. But I really liked it, it is breathable and no padding.

As for the hip carry, I did have a problem with it cutting into DD's leg until someone on the mayawrap board suggested folding the bottom rail first so that the rail edge is actually up baby's back. There is enough fabric to do this easily and still have DD snug, and from that day on we never had problems with it digging into her.

the Maya is *definitely* an infant-toddler sling. I used mine on the day DD was born, and I just used it the other day (she is 20 months and 29 lbs) when we were going to the grocery store and she fell asleep in the car. I didn't have a stroller with me so I slung her against me. She slept while I shopped and it worked out great!

teapot2.GIF Homeschooling, Homesteading Mama to DD ('02) and DS ('04)  ribbonjigsaw.gif blogging.jpg homeschool.gif

#4 of 6 Old 03-23-2004, 10:28 PM

If you tend to get overheated, I would skip the KKAFP. I can only use mine outdoors - otherwise, I roast :LOL I can comfortable wear my Mom & Me hemp pouch indoors, shopping etc. - I know Jen is closed for orders right now, but you can sign up for her mailing list for instock items. http://www.mom-and-me-creations.com/

I loved my cotton zolo (www.zolowear.com), but I sold it to finance my silk zolo The zolos have a very comfortable pleated shoulder design. I "hear" Reverand Jan offers something similiar in shoulder design and less expensive at: http://www.sleepingbaby.net/index.html

HTH
#5 of 6 Old 03-23-2004, 10:40 PM

Regular slings didn't work for me either because I'm pretty petite. The maya wrap is actually easier to adjust because it has the open tail (you can make it as tight as you want and do specific adjustments).

The best thing you can do is have an experienced sling wearin mama help you learn to use it. Once you get the hang of it, it's so easy! Maybe you can find someone at MDC in your area or your midwife (if you have one) could probably help or you can find a mom at an LLL meeting. Also there are sling classes in some areas. Some hospitals even offer it as a class. Good luck!
#6 of 6 Old 03-24-2004, 02:55 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by campingmumma
I can comfortable wear my Mom & Me hemp pouch indoors, shopping etc. - I know Jen is closed for orders right now, but you can sign up for her mailing list for instock items. http://www.mom-and-me-creations.com/
Actually she is open for sling and pad orders

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page