which diaper backpack w/ Ergo? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 10-19-2010, 02:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I bought an Ergo, but am now wondering about the diaper bag. I imagine that a backpack diaper bag is more comfortable/practical than any other type, but I don't like the look of the backpack made by Ergo (seems to flimsy, no insulation).

The Alpha Sherpa gets great reviews, but the features that make it ergonomically comfortable (sternum and waist belts) don't appear to be compatible w/ an Ergo.

What do others do? I need to babywear for long urban treks, but need my hands free.

Thanks!
#2 of 4 Old 10-19-2010, 04:59 PM

Location: Where creepy facebook-featured threads can't find me
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I just a generic backpack, I think it is a jansport. It works fine. I just throw a wet bag, a couple of diapers, and a burp cloth to use for a changing pad.
#3 of 4 Old 10-19-2010, 05:51 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I also used a generic backpack, from MEC (Mountain Equipment Co-op). My friend did too, and when we walked together, we called ourselves the Mama Hammers (because that's what it looks like with baby on the front and pack on the back!). However, 20 months in, I can honestly say that you don't need a backpack. What ended up working best for me was purchasing the small Ergo fanny bag that attaches to the waist strap, and using a messenger style bag, worn across, with the bag resting wherever is most comfortable. Between the Ergo pocket, the Ergo fanny pack, and the messenger bag, there's plenty of room!
Keys, wallet, phone into the fanny pack. Spare pants into the zippered pocket, and diaper, wetbag, snacks and water into the messenger bag.
Good luck finding the set-up that works for you!

dust.gifFour-eyed tattooed fairy godmother queer, mama to my lucky star (5) and little bird (2.5). Resident storyteller at www.thestoryforest.com. Enchanting audiostories for curious kids. Come play in the forest!
#4 of 4 Old 10-19-2010, 05:54 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
And heck, if you want to try the backpack, I'll give you mine for the cost of shipping. I didn't like it at all. PM me if you're interested. It's a good idea, bit wearing it on your front adds weight, and the attachment mechanism isn't the greatest.

dust.gifFour-eyed tattooed fairy godmother queer, mama to my lucky star (5) and little bird (2.5). Resident storyteller at www.thestoryforest.com. Enchanting audiostories for curious kids. Come play in the forest!

Tags
Babywearing , Ergo Baby , Cloth Diapers

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page