which diaper backpack w/ Ergo? - Mothering Forums
Babywearing > which diaper backpack w/ Ergo?
pregnant@40's Avatar pregnant@40 03:58 PM 10-19-2010
I bought an Ergo, but am now wondering about the diaper bag. I imagine that a backpack diaper bag is more comfortable/practical than any other type, but I don't like the look of the backpack made by Ergo (seems to flimsy, no insulation).

The Alpha Sherpa gets great reviews, but the features that make it ergonomically comfortable (sternum and waist belts) don't appear to be compatible w/ an Ergo.

What do others do? I need to babywear for long urban treks, but need my hands free.

Thanks!

JudiAU's Avatar JudiAU 05:59 PM 10-19-2010
I just a generic backpack, I think it is a jansport. It works fine. I just throw a wet bag, a couple of diapers, and a burp cloth to use for a changing pad.
starling&diesel's Avatar starling&diesel 06:51 PM 10-19-2010
I also used a generic backpack, from MEC (Mountain Equipment Co-op). My friend did too, and when we walked together, we called ourselves the Mama Hammers (because that's what it looks like with baby on the front and pack on the back!). However, 20 months in, I can honestly say that you don't need a backpack. What ended up working best for me was purchasing the small Ergo fanny bag that attaches to the waist strap, and using a messenger style bag, worn across, with the bag resting wherever is most comfortable. Between the Ergo pocket, the Ergo fanny pack, and the messenger bag, there's plenty of room!
Keys, wallet, phone into the fanny pack. Spare pants into the zippered pocket, and diaper, wetbag, snacks and water into the messenger bag.
Good luck finding the set-up that works for you!
starling&diesel's Avatar starling&diesel 06:54 PM 10-19-2010
And heck, if you want to try the backpack, I'll give you mine for the cost of shipping. I didn't like it at all. PM me if you're interested. It's a good idea, bit wearing it on your front adds weight, and the attachment mechanism isn't the greatest.
Tags: Babywearing , Ergo Baby , Cloth Diapers
Up