Babywearing in Cold Weather - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 39 Old 01-23-2011, 05:25 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I had been contemplating buying a Peekaru to go over our Ergo, but didn't want to shell out $80---so I recently happened upon a really cheap alternative: my husband's size-XL zip-up, hooded sweatshirt from Target. It fits perfectly over the baby in his carrier & keeps us both warm. I put my coat on over top of the sweatshirt (the sleeves are a little tight, but it still works.) Not the chicest-looking option, but it gets the job done!

#32 of 39 Old 01-24-2011, 12:52 AM

Where can you get an Amauti? It looks perfect for my -30 and below walks!

#33 of 39 Old 01-24-2011, 10:59 AM

We have several carriers (Ergo, Moby, Bjorn, Sling, Handmade Hip Carrier) I usually go with the Moby Wrap, it's comfy for both of us. I dress my 7 month old daughter in a long sleeved onsie, socks then an outfit with long sleeves and feet attached. Then she gets her fleece suit and a hat and the suit has an attached hood that I put up too, this helps keep her neck warm. The suit has built in hand covers that flip over her hands to keep them inside the sleeves. Then into the moby she goes. I usually wear a sweater and a sweatshirt or jacket over us both. She stays nice and warm up against me and i can pull the moby around her to shield her face even more. I like the moby best because it covers her best out of all the carriers and her hands are right under my arms which keeps them extra warm.

She has always hated the car seat so we never bring her in stores in it we just take her out and I carry her in the moby for our grocery shopping too! She usually falls asleep when we are almost done shopping. This is an old picture from the fall but this is her fleece suit. It's an old model from Patagonia, I like it because the front panel zips up on both sides. Making it easy to get her into it, and unzip and pull down for while we are in a store, but keeping her legs inside. The legs also unzip and zip together so it can be more like a sack which is good for when they are tiny or not in a carrier. It's a hand-me-down and has gone thru 5 of her cousins and is still in great shape! We love it!

IMG_2019.jpg

#34 of 39 Old 01-24-2011, 11:07 AM

http://www.amautibaby.com/b/Home.html 

I've never heard of these until now, they look really great! I would check ebay if I were you and you may be able to get a used one cheaper. Good Luck!

#35 of 39 Old 01-24-2011, 11:10 AM

#36 of 39 Old 01-24-2011, 07:40 PM

I usually didn't bundle my daughter up too much.  I would walk my dog in very cold weather, but just wrap her to myself, and cover us both with a coat and a small blanket over her head to keep the wind out if it was that cold.  If you are warm, your baby will be warm.  It is important not to over heat the baby. I wore my husbands coat or my dad's old coat, worked like a charm. 

#37 of 39 Old 01-25-2011, 05:30 AM

I totally agree that there is no use for a jacket for a baby most of the time!  My son is 10 months, and all the jackets we found for him were bulky and had to be taken off to buckle the car seat anyway.  I dress him in layers, and when wearing him outside use a moby wrap and then I have a super soft and warm alpaca wrap that is big enough to go around both of us.  It is warmer than any coat I've ever had!  Completely keeps the wind out.  And, it was made by a local woman who raises alpacas, so I feel super eco-friendly when we wear it!  :-)

Rockstar, hippie, pirate mama to W (3-2-10), wifey to S for 2 years and going strong

selectivevax.giffly-by-nursing2.gifcd.gif  treehugger.gif

http://piratelady2525.blogspot.com/
#38 of 39 Old 01-26-2011, 10:55 AM

Amauti's are hard to get as they fall under intellectual property rights.

http://www.amautibaby.com/amauti_pattern.html
http://www.pauktuutit.ca/pdf/publica...t/Amauti_e.pdf
http://www.wipo.int/tk/en/igc/ngo/wssd_amauti.pdf

They are awesome however!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetSoucy View Post

http://www.amautibaby.com/b/Home.html 

I've never heard of these until now, they look really great! I would check ebay if I were you and you may be able to get a used one cheaper. Good Luck!

femalesling.GIF Tiffany ClauWi Certified Baby Wearing Consultant, Educator and e-tailer femalesling.GIF

#39 of 39 Old 02-04-2011, 09:11 AM

I put a pair of leggings and a sweater under her pants and jacket and warm socks. I usually get the leggings online and my favorites are from this website www.sockoes.com comfortable, warm and cute, the price is not bad at all. 

Tags
Babywearing , Soft Structured Carriers

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page