Babywearing in Cold Weather - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 39 Old 11-02-2010, 08:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The temps are dropping here, and I have a question for you veteran babywearers--what do you do to keep your little one warm when you're outside? I walk my dog every evening, and I'm trying to figure out what the best method would be to keep la bambina warm.

I'm of two minds right now. One would be to put her in a bunting outfit over her regular clothes, like this one, although her hands would still need to have something on them to keep them warm, since they're like icicles.

The other option would be something that went over the carrier itself, like this.

I've been carrying her mostly in my hotsling on walks (I've putting her in warm clothes then partly closing my fleece jacket around her, with a small blanket tucked in top--this will work for now, but not as it gets even colder), but could transition to the pikkolo if it makes keeping her warm easier.

Any thoughts/suggestions/recommendations?

Gracias!

I before E, except after C.  Weird.
DD: 8/2010.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 39 Old 11-02-2010, 09:34 PM

In my pikkolo I use my catbird baby fleece cover...it snaps onto any SSC, really. In my sling, I've used her carseat poncho and I zip it open from the bottom up to make it all work. A big coat closed up around the carrier works for a lot of people, and then there are special bw coats/vest/jackets like the Mcoat, Suse's Kindercoat, Peekaru vest, etc. as well as some really nice looking ones on etsy. Good luck and stay warm!
#3 of 39 Old 11-03-2010, 01:46 AM

Old Navy sells buntings that are two layers of fleece as opposed to the one layer of the carter's one you linked, though it's still not bulky, and it has flip-over mittens. Twelve bucks!
http://oldnavy.gap.com/browse/produc...scid=771648012
That's what I plan to use with my SSC. I really don't have the budget to buy one of the babywearer coats or an extra large coat, considering I would likely only need it for this one winter.

Katie,  sahm to two wild and crazy guys banana.gif (8/07) and  bouncy.gif (3/10) and their sweet new baby sister baby.gif (4-1-13) 

#4 of 39 Old 11-03-2010, 05:16 AM

How old is babe?

My lo was born in freezing temps, and right from the get-go, he went in a fleecy, sleep-play zip up suite in the Slingling with a wool hat, and a wool blanket stuffed into all the rest of the sling. He was always crazy warm when we would finally unbundle...

When lo was more like a year, we were using the Ergo, and I would do something similar, fleece pants, a fleece or wool sweater/jumper, wool hat, and wool socks pulled over the pant bottoms so that no cold air circulated up his legs. I would tuck his hands in front of him (he sat facing me) so that they were against my own wool or fleece jacket and we were good to go.

Your own body generates more heat for them than I think we realize. In both instances, my son was always sweaty when we were able to unbundle!

Hope that helps!

My baby is a TODDLER?!!! 12-28-08       toddler.giffamilybed1.gifnovaxnocirc.gifblogging.jpg
#5 of 39 Old 11-03-2010, 09:14 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies!

My goal is to have a system that's as easy as possible, since a) she can be a bit of a challenging baby, and b) my husband takes the morning walk w/ dog and baby, so I'd like it to be simple for him when he's foggy-brained in the morning.

Both solutions still seem appealing--I think I'll start by checking out the Old Navy outfit at the store first, since it's the least expensive solution (and is super cute!)

Oliver's Mama--Thanks for the Old Navy link! I should have thought to look there...blame new mama brain!

lemonapple--she's 2 months now, so will be anywhere from 2-6 months during the coldest time here. (You're so right about just how much warmth our own bodies generate for these little guys!)

bwaybaby--Thanks for all the great info! Super helpful!

#6 of 39 Old 11-03-2010, 09:37 AM

For both the first and second winters (DS was born in January), I wore him upright facing me in a Moby *under* the A-line button front coat I bought for pregnancy. He fit perfectly with just his little head sticking out the top if I left the top button unbuttoned. I dressed him in just regular clothes, the same weight that I was wearing, and depending on how cold it was, he wore a hat. I cleaned many a stall in freezing temps with this setup, and DS was typically overwarm rather than too chilly.

Good luck finding a solution that works for you!

(Coldness caveat: we currently live in Maine, but also made winter visits home to the UP of Michigan. I would suspect this would be workable for NY)
#7 of 39 Old 11-03-2010, 10:00 AM

I always dressed the kiddo normally, and then put a layer over both of us. I bought a fleece jacket one size too big. So, I'd have her in regular clothes, with babylegs down over her heels and up over her knees to keep any gaps in her pants covered, a fleece jacket on her, preferably with a hood so there was no gap at the nape of her neck, maybe a super light hat and some mittens, then the bigger fleece zipped up over both of us so just the top of her head was peeking out. I did this for both front and back carries in a Moby knockoff and a Beco (she was born in late June, we live in upstate NY so she was 6-ish to 10-ish months in the coldest weather). It was very uncomplicated; it might not have been a real pretty look, but I didn't really care. And I think, if she's in a mid weight fleece with another mid weight fleece over her, she's going to be plenty warm in NY unless you're out for an hour in 0-degree weather. Body heat really is an amazing thing, and with all the air trapped between you and the jackets as insulation it should be fine. That way you and yoru DH would each only have to buy a good fleece in a size too big for you, nothing fancy or super expensive.

If we were going to be out for an hour playing in the snow when older DS was out, I'd just put her in her snowsuit and then put the fleece over both of us, and she was fine. And holy crap was I warm, too - but I tend to always be warm anyway and rarely wear anything heavier than a fleece all winter.

Heather, WAHM to DS (01/04)DD (06/06). Wed to DH(09/97)
#8 of 39 Old 11-03-2010, 02:24 PM

I have a wrap sweater with a belt that I put on over the moby and then wrap the fronts around Jude and tie. I'm in Utah so it gets pretty cold here. I would wear that sweater last winter to walk to church (1 block away) or our friend's house (3 blocks away) and if it was snowing I'd just get one of his flannel blankets and put it over him and wedge the corners into the belt to keep it in place.

Formerly known as "JessicaRenee".  hang.gif  Single mama to Jude (Sept '09)!  biggrinbounce.gif

#9 of 39 Old 11-03-2010, 10:10 PM

I have a monkey pocket, and it has worked really well for us. It's quite warm, so I can dress babe normally, and just put the cover over him. When we go back inside, I only need to take the cover off, and not have to fuss with taking off a jacket/bunting of him. This is especially nice for when he falls asleep on our walks, since it makes it easier to lay him down.

Mama to twins, my little guy, and
#10 of 39 Old 11-04-2010, 09:27 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone, for your replies! You've given me so many great ideas for outdoor options!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABO Mama View Post
I have a monkey pocket, and it has worked really well for us. It's quite warm, so I can dress babe normally, and just put the cover over him. When we go back inside, I only need to take the cover off, and not have to fuss with taking off a jacket/bunting of him. This is especially nice for when he falls asleep on our walks, since it makes it easier to lay him down.
If you don't mind me asking, what kind of carrier do you use with the monkey pocket?

#11 of 39 Old 11-04-2010, 12:30 PM

I recently bought this: http://www.thekoreanbaby.com/category/baby-carriers/ "I-Phyeonhae reversible 2 way cape" and it works really well. It goes on over the baby quickly and easily (wrap and mei tai and ergo) and is very warm and soft.

Live and love with your whole being.
#12 of 39 Old 11-04-2010, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurski View Post
If you don't mind me asking, what kind of carrier do you use with the monkey pocket?
Lets see, I've used it with a beco, yamo, chunei, scootababy, ring sling (maya), and a wham mei tai. I don't think I've wrapped with it yet, but I don't see why it wouldn't work. It works equally well for front and back carries.

Mama to twins, my little guy, and
#13 of 39 Old 11-05-2010, 03:50 AM

I had a winter baby in a cold climate last year:

We wore him in a stretchy wrap, over our clothes but under our coats. He fit under a regular coat for a surprisingly long time, and when it got too snug I started to wear either bigger men's coats that were kicking around the house, or a stretchy fleece I got on sale at LL Bean. I was really worried about keeping him warm in advance, but between my body heat and his, as long as we were both dressed in decent layers, with the wrap's material and the coat over us, I never felt worried that he was too cold.

Science-loving mama to one little guy (11/09).
#14 of 39 Old 11-10-2010, 06:31 AM

I remember always being cold as a kid, so I try to make sure my DD (4 months) is always warm. It's November now and we walk 4 miles a day with DD bundled in a Patagonia fleece bodysuit, with a wool balaclava hood. LL  Bean makes thermals that are in the $30 range for infants, as well.

#15 of 39 Old 11-10-2010, 06:54 AM

All last winter I wore my daughter in a Moby or Beco and zipped my maternity coat around her. Sometimes I'd put a blanket between her and my coat then fasten the coat which held the blanket in place which not only kept her warmer but allowed me to be able to flip up the blanket to cover her head. We spent a lot of time outdoors. 

Boys: 12/94, 1/99, 11/03, 6/11. Girls: 11/06, 10/09, 12/12 2ndtri.gif

#16 of 39 Old 11-10-2010, 07:25 AM

I also live where it is cold.

For my first BW winter, DD was still small so I would wrap her on my front and zip my big down coat over both of us. The next winter I made a BW coat so I could wear her on my back. I had a vintage wool coat that i cut a slit in the back of and added some gussets. I also bought an Amauti.

This winter we will use the Amauti and BW coat with DS. For quick trips into a store etc I tend to use a ring sling on top of my coat but for longer walks I definitely use a coat of some sort.

Leila, mama to Eleanor (10/08) and Emmett (4/10)

Visit my blog! www.rookblog.com

#17 of 39 Old 11-14-2010, 12:07 PM

Dd was born in the winter and I did fleece sleeper and wool hat (with cotton clothes underneath) and then I bought an inexpensive mens coat that was big enough to fit over us, I used that coat for 2 winters and could probably get away with it this year, but I now have an amauti.

Tricia
Canadian Mama to E 2yrs
Someone new coming October!
#18 of 39 Old 11-17-2010, 08:42 AM

This is not an inexpensive option, but it's a coat that is 3 coats in 1 because you use it for maternity or babywearing, and it would last you years and years. I fit my two year old in a mei tai in mine last year and am going to try to fit my 3 year old into it this winter!

http://www.evymama.ca/catalog/item/6463681/6309634.htm

Heidi, mama to DD Abigail (Sept 2007), wife to amazing DH Gavin, BFing, Babywearing, Bed Sharing, loving every minute!

#19 of 39 Old 11-17-2010, 11:06 AM
rad

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

I invested in a Suse Kinder coat and love it. I can wear a front or back carrier with it. It's super warm in very cold weather. I've often worn it on long walks in the winter and both me and baby have stayed warm. In the spring I can take the fleece liner out and just wear that or the shell. It was so nice that I bought a second one so DH could also wear our kids comfortable in the winter.

ButtonGirl likes this.

Rachel , wifey to best friend Karl ,
SAHM to Kaelan (11) Chandra (9) Liam (7) Lachlan (5) Killian (4),Riordan (1), Baby Boy EDD 11/14. All born at home!

#20 of 39 Old 11-17-2010, 04:17 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

I like to dress us both in 2-4 layers, depending on the weather, give her a hat, then put her on my back in a multilayer wrap carry.  Then I take my shawl and tie it around us, kind of like wearing a bathtowel, only knotting it instead of twisting it.  The shawl makes a beautiful difference and isn't too bulky.  If she's on my front, I just wear a big coat.

DD1 6/2009 DD2 5/1/2013-5/5/2013 (HIE) DS 3/2014
#21 of 39 Old 12-16-2010, 04:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rad View Post

I invested in a Suse Kinder coat and love it. I can wear a front or back carrier with it. It's super warm in very cold weather. I've often worn it on long walks in the winter and both me and baby have stayed warm. In the spring I can take the fleece liner out and just wear that or the shell. It was so nice that I bought a second one so DH could also wear our kids comfortable in the winter.

I had never heard of that coat - thank you for sharing!  Have been really interested in the MCoat but just doesn't fit my budget - this one seems much more affordable! 

"But if I knew everything, there would be no wonder, for what I believe in is far more than what I know." ~ Madeleine L'Engle
#22 of 39 Old 01-02-2011, 12:48 PM

I always just put the baby in a snowsuit in the sling over my own coat.

Single mom to E (2004) and D (2010)
#23 of 39 Old 01-02-2011, 06:53 PM

For safety sake baby should be worn to your body then outer wear worn over you and baby.

femalesling.GIF Tiffany ClauWi Certified Baby Wearing Consultant, Educator and e-tailer femalesling.GIF

#24 of 39 Old 01-02-2011, 08:18 PM

What's the safety risk of having the carrier over the mother's coat?

#25 of 39 Old 01-03-2011, 10:12 AM

Exposure, this is esspecially important for babies under 4 months of age.

The surfaces of many winter clothes are designed to be puffy creating suffocation concerns. Many styles of winter outerwear have slippery finishes, that can cause carriers to slip creating positioning issues and possible dangers to baby.

Most carriers (ring slings, wraps, Asian styles) you develop the carrier,  as it relates to the wearers body and that of the wearie. Outer wear interferes with proper tying, tightening of these style carriers.

femalesling.GIF Tiffany ClauWi Certified Baby Wearing Consultant, Educator and e-tailer femalesling.GIF

#26 of 39 Old 01-03-2011, 11:04 AM

Oh, ok, I see what you are saying. I always choose my coat and the baby's snowsuit carefully and test the carrier with it to make sure it works. I can imagine certain carriers being hazardous, especially with those bulky and stiff suits many babies wear.

#27 of 39 Old 01-21-2011, 06:12 PM

When I wear my dd outside in the cold, I use my hubby's coat (I wear a L-XL in women's and he wears a XXL in men's). Then, dd wears a hat and I use a scarf/blanky to go in between the two of us (plus she wear a sweater if it is just bitter). We are quite warm and comfy.

#28 of 39 Old 01-21-2011, 10:12 PM

nm

#29 of 39 Old 01-22-2011, 05:38 AM

I am pregnant with my second babe right now and ended up having to buy a maternity coat this time around. I live in Maine and will be pregnant through the coldest parts of the winter, but I'm planning to keep using my maternity coat for babywearing once our son arrives. It's definitely roomy enough to wear a carrier underneath.

#30 of 39 Old 01-22-2011, 11:34 PM

I have a "sleepy wrap" and its a heavy jersey - it probably isn't warm enough for the cold weather your are talking about, but it is warm enough for our winters.  I have the opposite problem, trying to find a wrap that is good for hot weather as I find both bub and I get too hot for wearing in our Australian summer!

Tags
Babywearing , Soft Structured Carriers

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page