Can I 'live' without a baby carrier? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#61 of 63 Old 12-07-2010, 02:08 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I took a childbirth ed class from a chiropractor, and she did say not to put baby in an upright carrier until she was able to sit on her own (i.e. 6 months or so) so that damage won't be done to the hips. Something like a Moby or else a newborn insert that keeps their legs in but still allows baby to be upright when they want to is nice until they get to this stage.

I have been using my carrier (mainly my Moby) more and more with my 3 month old and looking forward to having it when I fly solo with her over the holidays - it seems so much easier than having to cart around a huge stroller. I don't find it much use for housework yet as I can only wear her in front, but I think it will definitely be a lifesaver when she gets older.  It's also wonderful for walking outside in the winter (body heat helps a lot to keep her warm!) and for if she gets fussy in the stroller at the mall or something.

I also have a friend who can pretty much only get her little one to chill in her Bjorn (and she probably tried 3 different carriers before that - it just happened to be the one that worked best for her). It really does depend on the baby, and sometimes they'll love a carrier this week that they hated last week, so do try it again if it doesn't seem to work well the first time. Good luck! :)

"But if I knew everything, there would be no wonder, for what I believe in is far more than what I know." ~ Madeleine L'Engle
#62 of 63 Old 12-07-2010, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The4OfUs View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionessMom View Post
i was told that wearing them facing out in any carrier is bad for their back and hips.
If they're in a sitting position and not a dangling position, with the hip level at or lower than the knee, with their bottom supported instead of their crotch being supported, it's no different in a front or back carry; at least from what I understand.

What she said!  :)  You also have to be very aware of your baby because they can become easily overstimulated in this position.

#63 of 63 Old 12-08-2010, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButtonGirl View Post

I took a childbirth ed class from a chiropractor, and she did say not to put baby in an upright carrier until she was able to sit on her own (i.e. 6 months or so) so that damage won't be done to the hips. Something like a Moby or else a newborn insert that keeps their legs in but still allows baby to be upright when they want to is nice until they get to this stage.

Nonsense. Your chiropractor is wrong. The most natural position that people tend to carry newborns in without a carrier, the one where the babies fuss the least, is upright on the chest or shoulder of the parent. Good carriers support the baby's back naturally and imitate in-arms positions. Especially for babies with reflux, the upright positions are usually more comfortable for baby and parent than cradle holds, and with newborns, inherently safer for their airway. I'm not exactly sure what she means by an "upright carrier", as most carriers allow babies to be carried upright.

There is one article in which a chiropractor speculates that upright "crotch dangle" carries may be damaging to the spine. But it is not research, it is not a study, it is an opinion, speculation, and that one paper has been used by so many as an authoritative study... incorrectly.

Contrariwise, we know from experiments with babies that incorrect positioning with chin to chest in a reclining position can compromise the airway and decrease the oxygen saturation in the blood. It is much easier to get a "bad" position in a cradle hold.

Not to mention, no baby I've ever worn has been particularly thrilled with even a "correct" cradle hold. They all prefer to be upright.

Kangaroo care is generally done upright, on the parent's chest, for extremely medically fragile infants. 

Jenrose, Mama to DD1, born 1993, DD2, born 2005, and DS1, Jan. 2012. Babywearing, cosleeping, homebirthing mom with fibromyalgia and hashimotos.  DD2 has a rare chromosome disorder. 

Tags
Babywearing , Soft Structured Carriers , Baby Bjorn

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page