front carrier with nothing on shoulders--kanga? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 11-05-2010, 09:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So my friend with a bad shoulder is expecting twins, and I'm trying to help her figure out how she can wear at least one of them at a time. She has a three year old that she rarely wore because of her shoulder problems. The only carrier she has is an Ergo.

I have a kanga which I never really used with DD--I bought it for another friend when my DD was older, but my friend ended up not wanting it--anyway. I thought it might work really well for my friend with the shoulder problem, since you can put the baby on your back without having anything over your shoulders. But as far as I can tell, you have to tie it over your shoulder in order to put the baby in front. Is there any carrier that works similarly to a kanga, where you can carry the baby in front without anything over your shoulders?

I'm going to let her borrow my Moby as well, of course, but I just wanted to know if there's something I'm missing that might work better. Any ideas?

TIA!

Mama to DD, my 2/24/08 BIG KID formerly known as sling baby, and DS, my 12/23/11 train-loving, wall-climbing toddler! 
#2 of 6 Old 11-06-2010, 02:27 AM

No personal experience with it, but a chunei is a torso carrier, I've seen some good reviews of it. She can also do torso carries with a wrap.

Paula, mama to DS M (7/2010) sleepytime.gif and Watson (1998) dog2.gif and welcoming baby Penny (8/1/2013) babyf.gif

#3 of 6 Old 11-06-2010, 09:56 PM

I have a chunei, and love it. It does have straps that go over your shoulders, but most of the weight is on your torso, not shoulders.

Mama to twins, my little guy, and
#4 of 6 Old 11-12-2010, 09:33 PM

You can do front torso carries with a wrap.  (I haven't tried though, I've only done back torso carries).  I found this link to a video of a front wrap cross carry, but without going over the shoulders.  They say it works in a Moby too!

Mama lady to my lady baby born 3/09 on the kitchen floor.  Looking forward to seeing which room's floor the next one will be born on in October.  love.gif
#5 of 6 Old 11-14-2010, 02:46 PM

I have a podeagi (it's a Korean carrier) that I can do torso carries with. They make wide blanket & narrow blanket ones. Most of the time I used mine on my back, but you can also wear it on the front.

Kathlin fly-by-nursing2.gif mama to Kezia (3.5) hearts.gif & Cowan (1) diaper.gif

#6 of 6 Old 11-16-2010, 08:18 PM

I used a Kanga and never tied it on my shoulder, or had anything to do with my shoulders.  I would tie it under my arms (like where you tie a towel) with dd on my hip and scooch her around to my back.  Then I would wrap the bottom under her bum and tie it in a knot in the front, untie the top and wrap it like a towel and then roll it over.  I know its hard to describe with words.  This is how I was taught to use it when I was in the Congo, which is where I bought it.

Tricia
Canadian Mama to E 2yrs
Someone new coming October!

Tags
Babywearing , Ergo Baby , Moby Wrap

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page