How to get babe to enjoy babywearing when not sleeping? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 11-17-2010, 12:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

So my DS (almost 5 mo) likes to sleep in my maya wrap ring sling and the moby, but I'd love for him to enjoy spending time in them when he's just hanging out so I can do dishes, hang with my older DD, etc.

For now, he'll only really tolerate the bjorn - facing out - when he's awake and lively - and that is killing my shoulders and neck. Mostly I use it for school pickups and grocery shopping. We have an Ergo but he's not crazy about it.

Any suggestions other than to keep trying? Anyone else's babe grow to like being worn when not sleeping?

Thanks!

Me (40) DH (49) daring DD (9) and darling DS - almost THREE! (born June 25, 2010 in an amazing, unplanned homebirth.jpg

#2 of 6 Old 11-17-2010, 02:20 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Which carry are you using? Perhaps he would like a kangaroo or hip carry in the Maya wrap. My son loved kangaroo carries at that age.

#3 of 6 Old 11-17-2010, 04:12 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Mine did, but I had to be walking around or moving or she got annoyed.  And then around a year, we didn't do the sling/wrap/podegi indoors anymore, just out walking around.

I was just about to sell my wraps and lo and behold the last few weeks, she has been bringing them over, saying, "Ba ba ba" and enjoys being wrapped while I go about mundane chores and sit at the computer.  Astonishing. She is 16mo.

But anyhow, have you tried a back wrap of some sort?  You can do a back carry with a ring sling.  I also sometimes tied a toy on a necklace and put it on my back with her.  Now she likes to have her "baby" or her plastic "kitty" in back with her.,  As long as there is something to look at that seemed to help.

Also, maybe try a kanga torso carry (see youtube for videos)?  It's pretty comfortable for mom and baby.  I suggest it because it's a good free way to try a back carry, just use a towel or an old sheet or something about 1.5yd by 1 yd.

#4 of 6 Old 11-19-2010, 06:03 AM

My kids only enjoyed being in the sling awake when they were on my back or hip. I still had to be moving most of the time but they tolerated small breaks :).

My youngest enjoys being awake in the babyhawk, but I have to have her positioned so she can see around while still facing me

Meghan : Kayla~ 10/19/04 Jack~ 5/27/07
Evelyn~ 10/9/10

#5 of 6 Old 11-19-2010, 06:14 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

My ds ( 5 weeks) will only go in the sling if I sneak him in while he's asleep.  Otherwise, he screams!  Blah.  I'm hoping once he gets bigger and can face outward he'll enjoy it more.   At 5 months mine all liked hip carry in the maya, have you tried that?

#6 of 6 Old 12-07-2010, 01:03 PM

Same here CherryBomb, our DD was originally calmed by the MaiTai (Mobi was a disaster from the beginning), but now screams when we put her in, then she calms after bouncing or walking and falls asleep.  but when she wakes up she's screaming again.  it really sucks b/c initially this was a good way to get her to sleep, but now we can't get her out of it without it resulting in a total melt down.  i'm not sure if we're wearing it wrong and she's somehow uncomfortable, but if that were the case she wouldn't fall asleep and seem so content... i used to think she was getting too hot, but even just having her in a diaper results in the same.

i hope she starts to like it again, i would really like to wear her when she's awake!   right now we can't carry her in any other position since she's still only 5 weeks and needs head support.

joy.gifhappy wife to dh and loving mom to dd (1yr) with another little one on the way in July!!

Tags
Babywearing , Ring Slings , Moby Wrap , Ergo Baby

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page