Talk Bjorn to me - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 17 Old 11-28-2010, 07:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We rec'd a Baby Bjorn Carrier as a gift, and I have to say it's not very intuitive to me pick up and go. Is the Bjorn the kind that puts all weight on baby's pelvis? I have a mei tai and sleepy wrap and both just make sense to me for how to wear the baby. Do you have exp. w/ the Bjorn? Did you like/dislike it?

Happy and in love with my family!
#2 of 17 Old 11-28-2010, 08:29 PM

The Bjorn is a crotch dangler and is bad for babies spine. I didn't know much about babywearing with my boys, so I did use one with them. I was never able to wear it for an extended period of time, maybe 15 minutes at most. We only used it until they were about 3 months old, thereafter they were too heavy for it. It killed my back. On the other hand I love my mei tai, and I can wear my 8 month old in it for hours. I also wrap, and can wear that for hours too. 

HTH!

#3 of 17 Old 11-28-2010, 11:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzashley View Post

The Bjorn is a crotch dangler and is bad for babies spine. I didn't know much about babywearing with my boys, so I did use one with them. I was never able to wear it for an extended period of time, maybe 15 minutes at most. We only used it until they were about 3 months old, thereafter they were too heavy for it. It killed my back. On the other hand I love my mei tai, and I can wear my 8 month old in it for hours. I also wrap, and can wear that for hours too. 

HTH!

Ugh, that's kind of what I thought (crotch-dangler)! What a bummer. My MIL got it for us, and I feel so bad that I don't want to use it---it's brand new! I can wear him in the stretchy wrap for a long time, but he is getting bigger and a ssc would be nice. Darn! I wish she had purchased the Ergo instead, but non-bw-ers don't know about the dangers of crotch dangling!

#4 of 17 Old 11-29-2010, 07:13 AM

Mmmm, we loved the baby bjorn!  IT was a great carrier for Dh especially b/c he has the upper body strength for it not to drag his back too bad.  We used it from newborn till about 8 months (20 lbs), and after that it was like trying to put toothpaste back into the tube, the boy just did not fit anymore.  We use an ergo now due to DS's size.  It didn't seem to cause any probs with his spine, he is walking now at almost 12 months, has always moved around normally, so I dunno.  The bjorn was the only way I got any sleep those first 4 months :)  I say give it a try.

#5 of 17 Old 11-29-2010, 12:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by plantnerd View Post

Mmmm, we loved the baby bjorn!  IT was a great carrier for Dh especially b/c he has the upper body strength for it not to drag his back too bad.  We used it from newborn till about 8 months (20 lbs), and after that it was like trying to put toothpaste back into the tube, the boy just did not fit anymore.  We use an ergo now due to DS's size.  It didn't seem to cause any probs with his spine, he is walking now at almost 12 months, has always moved around normally, so I dunno.  The bjorn was the only way I got any sleep those first 4 months :)  I say give it a try.

:lol "putting toothpaste back in the tube"

Thanks for another perspective! Perhaps it would be a good carrier for my husband---he does not bw as frequently as me anyways and won't wear the wrap but will wear the mei tai. Our boy is already 16lbs but long so maybe he will fit in it for longer---I believe the weight limit is 25lbs.

I think I'm still going to keep on the lookout for an Ergo---seems like it would be a great for when I take ds to work with me as he gets bigger (we use the wrap for now, forward facing). I also like that the Ergo can hip carry as neither of my other carriers do hip carry (maybe the mei tai can, but I haven't figured it out yet).

#6 of 17 Old 11-29-2010, 12:13 PM

we have an ergo and DH prefers that. Could you return the Bjorn and put that money towards an Ergo?

E, wife to D, mommy to G (born March 2010). joy.gif

#7 of 17 Old 11-29-2010, 12:28 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by goinggreengirl View Post

we have an ergo and DH prefers that. Could you return the Bjorn and put that money towards an Ergo?

I'd like to do that, but it was ordered online from I-don't-know-where and I don't have the receipt. I could try and sell it on Amazon or Ebay I guess? But I've never done either, and even though it's brand new, I don't think I'd get the full market value from it :( 

#8 of 17 Old 11-30-2010, 02:10 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

We were given a hand-me-down Baby Björn, and at first I was like "Pffft! I would never use that crotch-dangler!", but I have to say I have gotten some use out of it after all. DS is 6 months and almost 20 lbs, so I know we can't use it much longer. I find it very useful for around the house when DS wants to face forward and I want to get something done. We got a Pikkolo carrier because it offers an ergonomic FF carry option, but to be honest the Björn is sooo much simpler and easier to get on and off. It does kill my back though, and also because of the dangers of crotch-dangling, we only use it for about 10 minutes at a time, maybe 3-5 times a week. I just popped DS in it when I had to go down to the basement to change the laundry, for example.

I would say give it a try and see how you and your baby like it. If your baby really likes FF, then maybe you will get some use out of it after all as we have. I think as for the crotch-dangling and spine development, if you strictly limit the amount of time you use it, and don't make it your main carrier, it shouldn't cause any major harm.

Mama since 2010
Multicultural living in Europe
#9 of 17 Old 11-30-2010, 07:08 PM

The Ergo is not so great for hip carries. I know it says you can do hip carries with it, but I am a pretty experienced babywearer and I could not get a comfy hip carry in it at all. 

Ring slings are really the best slings for hip carriers. Scootababy is a great SSC for hip carries.

Honestly, I'd sell the Bjorn on Craigslist and look for a used Ergo. You can find a second hand ergo for around 60 bucks, although maybe not in the color you'd prefer. You'll get tons more use out of the Ergo, so it is well worth the money. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by craft_media_hero View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by goinggreengirl View Post

I'd like to do that, but it was ordered online from I-don't-know-where and I don't have the receipt. I could try and sell it on Amazon or Ebay I guess? But I've never done either, and even though it's brand new, I don't think I'd get the full market value from it :( 

Quote:
Originally Posted by craft_media_hero View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by plantnerd View Post

:lol "putting toothpaste back in the tube"

Thanks for another perspective! Perhaps it would be a good carrier for my husband---he does not bw as frequently as me anyways and won't wear the wrap but will wear the mei tai. Our boy is already 16lbs but long so maybe he will fit in it for longer---I believe the weight limit is 25lbs.

I think I'm still going to keep on the lookout for an Ergo---seems like it would be a great for when I take ds to work with me as he gets bigger (we use the wrap for now, forward facing). I also like that the Ergo can hip carry as neither of my other carriers do hip carry (maybe the mei tai can, but I haven't figured it out yet).

#10 of 17 Old 12-07-2010, 02:19 PM - Thread Starter

hey, thanks for the replies, everybody!

#11 of 17 Old 12-22-2010, 09:44 PM
Banned

The advantage of the Bjorn is that it's snap and go - easiest to get the kid in and out of.  Also, the shoulder straps can be adjusted for comfort and then kept in that spot - you don't have to adjust every time.

I typically use a ergo type, but DH finds the wrapping and knotting bothersome and prefers the snap and go of the Bjorn.

I'm not sure what to think about the crotch dangling fears.  I've never seen any reputable study or even article linking Bjorns to spinal injuries.  Bjorns are the biggest selling carrier in the world, so if it were actually crippling kids, we would know.

#12 of 17 Old 12-23-2010, 11:24 AM - Thread Starter

True, Ms Fortune. I think I will stick with the wrap coz it's easiest for now and sit down and figure out the Bjorn for dh to use primarily (though he has finally warmed up to the wrap). 

What I really need is something for a back and hip carry, any ideas? 

#13 of 17 Old 12-24-2010, 02:02 PM

If you are liking your stretchy wrap, why not try a woven?  They offer a lot more support, and you can use them for back carries (something yo can't do with stretchies), as well as hip carries.

Mama to twins, my little guy, and
#14 of 17 Old 12-24-2010, 08:06 PM

For back carry I LOVE my Ergo. I wore DS around the mall several months back and had zero issues with it (and he's a big boy...he was almost 25lbs at the time) I never figured out the hipcarry on that either...but he seemed to like it on my back. (Especially getting in and out. I do the "lay the baby on the Ergo and strap in and stand up thing...so I pretend I'm squishing him while I'm strapping it on. He thinks it's hilarious.)

Kas (24), Helpmeet to Stefan (25), Mom to Franklin Gaudelio 4/15/09, Jonathan Boswell 1/2/11
#15 of 17 Old 12-28-2010, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsFortune View Post

The advantage of the Bjorn is that it's snap and go - easiest to get the kid in and out of.  Also, the shoulder straps can be adjusted for comfort and then kept in that spot - you don't have to adjust every time.

I typically use a ergo type, but DH finds the wrapping and knotting bothersome and prefers the snap and go of the Bjorn.

I'm not sure what to think about the crotch dangling fears.  I've never seen any reputable study or even article linking Bjorns to spinal injuries.  Bjorns are the biggest selling carrier in the world, so if it were actually crippling kids, we would know.

I find the Ergo to be *the* simplest baby carrier for older babies (with head control.)  When you mention wrapping and knotting, I think you must be talking about a mei tai maybe?  I also adjusted my Ergo once and then didn't re-adjust ever, just take it on and off.  The Ergo just has 2 buckles- one at waist and one at chest.  I could literally put it on and put my toddler in it in seconds once we were used to it.

I think the quality of the Ergo vs the quality of the Bjorn not even comparable with the Ergo being much much better.  Also, Ergos can be used significantly longer.

poppiesinjuly likes this.
#16 of 17 Old 01-17-2011, 10:10 PM

Ring slings and pouch slings are great for hip carries.

#17 of 17 Old 02-07-2011, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsFortune View Post

A little while back I did some research because I was in the middle of an argument with someone who thought the Bjorn was the only carrier anyone should use. I found the same. There was one report written by a chiropractor back in the 80s, and I couldn't find a single thing since then that backed up those thoughts. Everything I found about the crotch-dangling linked back to that same report.

Mom to two little girls... wonderfully 4 years and delightfully 1.5 years

Passionate about birth... GeorgiaMomsforBetterBirth.com

Tags
Baby Bjorn , Babywearing

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page