please recommend a baby carrier - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 12-03-2010, 12:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

This is for a friend, I'm just not sure what to recommend. Right now she has a strechy wrap, not quite as stretchy as the moby. She is short and short waisted. Her baby is about 5 months old, over 20 lbs and long. I think she needs something that goes over both shoulders and she would prefer to be able to carry him facing out. I think ergo and similar is out of her price range. 

#2 of 13 Old 12-03-2010, 01:01 PM

That's a tough one.  My first thought was a Pikkolo or Beco Gemini if she is insistent on the facing out carry, but they are both more expensive then the Ergo.  A mei tai (BabyHawk, FreeHand, Mei Tai Baby) would probably be comfortable for her and they are usually less expensive then soft structured carriers, but they don't really allow a facing out carry.  They do offer the option of a high back carry though, which allows the baby to see over the wearer's shoulder.  This is more ergonomic and usually more comfortable for the wearer then a facing out carry. 

If she's willing to buy used she can probably find a mei tai for around $50-60, and a soft structured carrier for $80-90.  Another good option would be a woven wrap, again used she can probably find one for about $75.  A woven wrap she would be able to use for front carries as well as hip and back carries, so basically it would pick up where her stretchy wrap left off.

I hope your friend can find something that works soon. :)

*mama to c 2/2000, v 2/2004, p 9/2006, and h 12/2012*

one of the mamas behind BeanTreeBaby.com ...Gear for Growing Families!

#3 of 13 Old 12-10-2010, 10:30 AM

I agree with getting a MT, since they run cheaper. But also, she can check out someone like FrogMama that has gently used carriers and maybe she would be able to get a really nice one (like a Gemini or brand-name MT) for a good price. http://www.frogmama.com/catalog.php?category=13

#4 of 13 Old 12-21-2010, 08:33 PM

I second the Gemini! I found one in like new condition for under $100.. What's her budget?

A woven wrap is also a GREAT idea and used ones can run you $60ish. That may be her best bet...

Super crunchy Mama to DS1, DS2, DD and wanting a bunch more!  We homeschool, bed share, homebirth and baby wear. We're attached, we only cloth diaper and we don't vax. There's a lot more to us than that, but it won't all fit. 

#5 of 13 Old 12-29-2010, 11:09 AM

I would suggest learning back carries and buying a German Style Woven wrap.

femalesling.GIF Tiffany ClauWi Certified Baby Wearing Consultant, Educator and e-tailer femalesling.GIF

#6 of 13 Old 12-29-2010, 08:28 PM

I totally agree with the Gemini, I'm short too and it fits perfectly, the Ergo was way too bulky for me.  My DD is 23 pounds and has room to grow in it.  I love my wraps but it is so fast to use the Gemini for quick in and out to the store, especially now that it is winter!

Deb, Mom to Madeleine 8/2005 and Maia 11/2009 Nick: and Chris
#7 of 13 Old 01-03-2011, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2M View Post

I totally agree with the Gemini, I'm short too and it fits perfectly, the Ergo was way too bulky for me.  My DD is 23 pounds and has room to grow in it.  I love my wraps but it is so fast to use the Gemini for quick in and out to the store, especially now that it is winter!

I use the Gemini too and it's a great easy solution. I definitely would recommend it!

#8 of 13 Old 01-05-2011, 08:05 PM

Why not get a mei tai from a Work at home mom? Good quality and affordable. I second that MT's are best, versatility and simplicity. Here are some beautiful mei tai baby carriers.

#9 of 13 Old 01-06-2011, 09:49 AM

Is there a local babywearing group? If so help her get to a meeting. This way she can see the variety of carriers, make an informed decision on what will best meet her needs.

www.thebabywearer.com has a forum of baby wearing groups. Google also has a number of listing for baby wearing groups.

femalesling.GIF Tiffany ClauWi Certified Baby Wearing Consultant, Educator and e-tailer femalesling.GIF

#10 of 13 Old 01-06-2011, 02:23 PM

Try www.diaperswappers.com , you can get really good deals from other parents on used baby carriers. (and other baby items).  I spent some time on it and got a barely used organic ergo for $60.

#11 of 13 Old 01-07-2011, 02:12 PM

I would recommend a Moby Wrap.  I'm 5' 4", and it works REALLY well for me!  I wish I'd know about it for my first son, because it was a LIFESAVER with my second.  I was able to cook, do dishes, eat dinner, EVERYTHING while he slept away inside.

#12 of 13 Old 01-08-2011, 04:10 PM

I'd say to use either an Ergo or a Mei Tai style carrier.  Those are both fairly easy to use and great for back support.

#13 of 13 Old 01-17-2011, 04:26 PM

Since your friend is short and has a small waist, the Beco Gemini is the better option especially over the ergo. Don’t get me wrong, we had an ergo and it was comfy but I noticed it was too wide for my wife and bulky on her (she has a similar frame), it looked too big on her so we sold it. The Gemini worked out a lot better and it was taller not wider and a better fit on our shoulders, exactly what we needed. Mei Tai is always a great way to go but your little one will soon out grow it!

Your friend should definitely check out Frogmama and Paxbaby, they rent carriers.

PS, Beco just looks better! 

Tags
Beco Baby Carrier , Pouch Slings , Babywearing

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page