Beco Gemini vs. Pikkolo... Help! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 12-12-2010, 04:24 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm totally stuck... I was pretty dead set on the Gemini after a lot of research but then I found that the Pikkolo has basically everything I'm looking for too:

Front facing out

Hip carry

Crossed straps in back when front carrying

Good lower back support

The Pikkolo has a sleeping hood and the Gemini doesn't, but the Gemini has a headrest that pops up and would shade the baby... 

I'm at an impasse and would love feedback/advice/opinions/commiseration! 

ETA: I'm 5'8", a size 8 and an E cup (the main reason I need good lower back support) and my DD is 7 weeks, 12lbs and at least 23 inches. I have and love my Moby but know I'll soon need something else. She already likes to pop her head out of the Moby and look at me. =)

Super crunchy Mama to DS1, DS2, DD and wanting a bunch more!  We homeschool, bed share, homebirth and baby wear. We're attached, we only cloth diaper and we don't vax. There's a lot more to us than that, but it won't all fit. 

#2 of 3 Old 12-12-2010, 08:40 PM

I have tried both and prefer the Gemini.  The cinching feature on the Pikkolo doesn't work as well as I want it to; I found it much harder to get a good seat for the baby when the seat was narrowed in the Pikkolo vs. the Gemini.  The Gemini also has the structured waistband, while the Pikkolo does not, though you can buy the added support belt.  I also felt like while both carriers felt nice (soft), the Gemini is a bit more moldable then the Pikkolo.

OK, so after writing all that it sounds like I am pretty down on the Pikkolo.  But honestly, it's a great carrier, as is the Gemini.  However if *I* was going to buy one, I would get the Gemini.  The one downside to the Gemini is that you really only have two options for seat width- narrow or wide.  I will say that I think the narrow width will only really fit for the first 3-4mo, and after that you will probably need to use the wider setting in order for the seat to go from knee to knee on the baby. 

*mama to c 2/2000, v 2/2004, p 9/2006, and h 12/2012*

one of the mamas behind BeanTreeBaby.com ...Gear for Growing Families!

#3 of 3 Old 12-13-2010, 03:48 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you so much for your reply!! I'm going with the Gemini! :)

Super crunchy Mama to DS1, DS2, DD and wanting a bunch more!  We homeschool, bed share, homebirth and baby wear. We're attached, we only cloth diaper and we don't vax. There's a lot more to us than that, but it won't all fit. 

Tags
Babywearing

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page