DH won't wear DD - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 25 Old 12-13-2010, 09:03 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

so I said to DH this morning "oh I was online trying to find a masculine sling" and he said "yeah no thanks" I was like why? don't you want to wear DD? He said "no that's for woman" I said plenty of men wear their kids! and he laughed and said well i'm not.

so Im kinda pissed. why won't he wear her? When she was little he would sometimes wear her in the house. I never really thought twice about it to tell you the truth. Shes 15 m/o now and If you just hold her she will flip out and want to run around but if you wear her shes calm and fine, so I feel it's important to wear her- not to mention we plan on having more kids.

any one else's DH have BWing issues? what can I do to resolve this, anything?

Young born-again mama and loving wife peace.gif to DH jammin.gif and SAHP to two crazy girls dust.gifwehomebirth.jpgfly-by-nursing2.gifslinggirl.giffamilybed1.gif and believe gd.giflactivist.gif  signcirc1.gif !

#2 of 25 Old 12-13-2010, 09:15 AM

My situation is a bit different since we don't have a child yet, but I wanted to reply to say you're not alone.

My DH has said that when we have a child that he will not wear him or her because it's not masculine to wear kids, even in a backpack type carrier!  Totally floored me since it is so much easier to have handsfree and *my* dad frequently carried *me* when I was a baby.

I have decided that that's ok (not a hill to die on for me), but did tell him that 1. he will still be expected to carry DC just as much as he would if he was BWing, no complaining and 2. I will still be getting a nifty Ergo or similarly expensive carrier for myself. 

I figure that it's his choice to deal with the inconvenience of a child in arms if he's more comfortable with that and I'll be more free to pick out the carrier/sling/wrap I want. ;)

TheSlingMama likes this.

Erin
Every hour of the light and dark is a miracle. Every cubic inch of space is a miracle. (Whitman)

Not a Mama Yet! If you're a NMY, too, come join our current thread in the Tribal area!

#3 of 25 Old 12-13-2010, 09:31 AM

Eh. I don't think it's really anything you can change. Either your SO will come around or he won't. My DH was on the opposite end of the spectrum... Anytime we were out together he insisted on wearing the LO. I never got a turn! It was a little bit frustrating at the time, but I'm definitely over it and glad I had a DH so enthusiastic to babywear :) We didn't use a stroller or anything until DS2 was about to turn 3 and DH had cancer and was often too weak to feel up to it. 

#4 of 25 Old 12-13-2010, 09:33 AM

mine never wore our kids... maybe dd once or twice. it just wasn't his thing, he wasn't comfortable for whatever reason. i personally wouldn't say another word about it. 2cents.gif

mama to one '07 and one '09
#5 of 25 Old 12-13-2010, 09:38 AM

Is he opposed to wearing her in general or is he just not into certain types of carriers?  A lot of men really like buckle carriers, because well, they buckle. wink1.gif  They are also the most mainstream looking of all of the options and are very user friendly.  Have him look at pics of Boba, Ergo, Oh Snap, etc... they have lots of men wearing on their websites. 

Anyway, if it's just the kind of carrier then it's possible a buckle carrier would be a good compromise for him.  But if it's just that he's not interested in babywearing then I'm not sure what you could do.  Well, maybe get rid of your stroller (if you have one) and tell him it's carrying in arms or with a carrier, his choice! orngtongue.gif  Seriously though, I do have a few friends who are very into babywearing, don't use/own strollers, and their partners just don't wear the baby.  They prefer to carry them in arms or on their shoulders when they are bigger.  There's not much you can do, in that situation, except to accept that it's his preference and move on. 

*mama to c 2/2000, v 2/2004, p 9/2006, and h 12/2012*

one of the mamas behind BeanTreeBaby.com ...Gear for Growing Families!

#6 of 25 Old 12-13-2010, 10:15 AM - Thread Starter

the most masculine thing we have is a very American looking mei tai and he wont use that. we don't use a stroller, I just wear her all the time period...which is frustrating especially since i have back problems. She is not satisfied being carried in someone's arms IDK why really she flips out though...which is why I am always stuck wearing her.

i have a Maya wrap in Bright stripes, which isn't actually bright, its more like bold and has an African vibe to it.

I also have a blue wrap a khaki wrap and a hot pink one

and a baby pink Moby.

then a home-made mei tai and the store bought American-ish one.

oh and a few pouch slings

I am not a stroller fan period and when we have our next baby I really hope DH gets over this b/c I do not want to be wearing both of them if I don't have to!

maybe I should muster up some super masculine men wearing babies lol

Young born-again mama and loving wife peace.gif to DH jammin.gif and SAHP to two crazy girls dust.gifwehomebirth.jpgfly-by-nursing2.gifslinggirl.giffamilybed1.gif and believe gd.giflactivist.gif  signcirc1.gif !

#7 of 25 Old 12-13-2010, 10:33 AM

Do you have facebook? The Ergo page has a whole section with photos of babywearing dads! It's awesome. http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=128799&id=45732091646

Sorry I can't be of more help, my DH loves BWing. He thinks it's really cool. We even have professional photos of him in his uniform wearing DS in our Ergo. Heck, yesterday DS was asleep when we got to the store and stayed that way the whole time (unusual. He usually wakes up) and DH goes, "Jeez Son, if I'd known you were going to stay asleep I would have worn you."

Kas (24), Helpmeet to Stefan (25), Mom to Franklin Gaudelio 4/15/09, Jonathan Boswell 1/2/11
#8 of 25 Old 12-13-2010, 10:38 AM

DH wore DS1 around the house a couple times (he's a SAHD), but never since then. He's not overly interested in wearing DS2, either... and I'm fine with that, though I do on occasion mention that he could if he wanted to. *I* think it makes life easier, but it's his call to make, not mine. He's a great dad in a million other ways.

Me+DH+DS1+DS2+Dog=me and a house full of guys, which is really just peachy, thanks.
#9 of 25 Old 12-13-2010, 11:58 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

My husband is the same way....go figure.

By the way there are camouflage fabric slings and carriers, tres masculine winky.gif

http://www.babyhawk.com/ViewProduct/Oh-SNAP-All-Camo/2454.aspx

http://www.slinglings.com/index-main_page-product_info-products_id-1-fabric-132.htm

#10 of 25 Old 12-13-2010, 12:11 PM

Initially, DH said the Ergo didn't fit him, so I bought an extender. Still a no-go.

He bought a $$$ frame pack from REI, calling it a "daddy carrier." Used it about a dozen times.

DS, 10/07. Allergies: peanut, egg, wheat. We've added dairy back in. And taken it back out again. It causes sandpaper skin with itchy patches and thrashing during sleep. Due w/ #2 late April, 2012.

#11 of 25 Old 12-13-2010, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sosurreal09 View Post

I am not a stroller fan period and when we have our next baby I really hope DH gets over this b/c I do not want to be wearing both of them if I don't have to!

I kind of agree with the other posters, that there isn't much you can do. But - you CAN give DC over to DH to manage and then just let go. You will espeically need to do this when you have a new baby and won't have a choice. You'll be CARRYING the baby because she will need to nurse. DH will have to  manage the other child as best he can. I'll bet you'll find that she may walk a good bit more by then, or DH will put her on his shoulders or do a piggy back ride, or get a stroller or a wagon OR whatever works for him. But you'll just need to let the 2 of them work that out.

Third generation WOHM. I work by choice.
#12 of 25 Old 12-13-2010, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASusan View Post

Initially, DH said the Ergo didn't fit him, so I bought an extender. Still a no-go.

He bought a $$$ frame pack from REI, calling it a "daddy carrier." Used it about a dozen times.

My DH seems to prefer the "daddy carrier" lol.gif too, although he does use the Ergo on occasion.  He will absolutely not touch the Maya wrap.  I love the Maya wrap!  I don't think its a masculinity issue for him though, but instead different carriers work because he is so tall.

Around where I live the frame packs are really easy to find second hand (in fact we got ours for free).  I hate the thing, but DH loves it.  I think it might have something to do with the fact it looks like serious GEAR.

We got our Christmas tree this last weekend and here he's modeling the sexy frame carrier:

daddy carrier.jpg

#13 of 25 Old 12-13-2010, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellien C View Post
 DH will have to  manage the other child as best he can. I'll bet you'll find that she may walk a good bit more by then, or DH will put her on his shoulders or do a piggy back ride, or get a stroller or a wagon OR whatever works for him. But you'll just need to let the 2 of them work that out.

This. It's hard, sometimes, to watch DH find his way, because I'm very much the type of person who doesn't like to watch people go through the messy process of figuring it out THEIR way. But as a teacher, I learned quickly that while it's messier to watch people figure out their own path, the results are more... solid. He may find that he LIKES a stroller. I don't, personally, because I'm too tall for most strollers and I don't like the bulk. But strollers aren't BAD. They can be overused and certainly have their disadvantages, but honestly, now that DS1 is older and bigger, I can't imagine wearing him. I would go bat-poop crazy. Letting your DH figure out what works and doesn't work is really a gift to both him and your LO. He'll puzzle it out and use his noodle to find a solution, and your DD will learn that another person can meet her needs, maybe in a different way, but just as well.

Me+DH+DS1+DS2+Dog=me and a house full of guys, which is really just peachy, thanks.
#14 of 25 Old 12-14-2010, 06:50 AM

My DH is the same, he won't wear DS, even though we have a 2 black carriers, a black sling and a brown sling... they're NOT feminine, but he won't even try them on, he says those are for me. He prefers to carry DS (we don't own a stroller), and almost always has him in his arms, so it's fine with me... it would be easier to do stuff if he wore him, but that's his decision.

#15 of 25 Old 12-14-2010, 07:53 AM - Thread Starter

haha I just showed him that ergo facebook page and he saw the star wars one and started laughing. he was like now thats cool....maybe he would do an ergo? idk they are expensive. maybe i can get a second hand one lol

#16 of 25 Old 12-14-2010, 07:55 AM

I wonder if he is resenting and rebelling being told HOW to carry his child.  Your way is the only "right" way.  

I didn't have a sling for my first child, didnt' know about him. Carried him everyplace trading off with my ex, then my now husband.  The stroller was great for jackets.

Second child I knew about slings.  She absolutely hated them for the first few months. Then she went to back pack, that I hated.  My dh toted her around.  She liked the stroller for the first few months preferred in arms. In hindsight I think it was her reflux that made infant carriers uncomfortable. We also have a stroller that had a platform for her brother.  I remember her loving him looking over her. 

My third love her sling. My dh never felt comfortable with her as an infant in a sling.  Very much preferred in arms carry.

I really think you need to let your dh figure out what works for him.  

#17 of 25 Old 12-14-2010, 08:09 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsupialmom View Post

I wonder if he is resenting and rebelling being told HOW to carry his child.  Your way is the only "right" way.  

I didn't have a sling for my first child, didnt' know about him. Carried him everyplace trading off with my ex, then my now husband.  The stroller was great for jackets.

Second child I knew about slings.  She absolutely hated them for the first few months. Then she went to back pack, that I hated.  My dh toted her around.  She liked the stroller for the first few months preferred in arms. In hindsight I think it was her reflux that made infant carriers uncomfortable. We also have a stroller that had a platform for her brother.  I remember her loving him looking over her. 

My third love her sling. My dh never felt comfortable with her as an infant in a sling.  Very much preferred in arms carry.

I really think you need to let your dh figure out what works for him.  

not for nothing but i already said DD doesnt like to be carried in arms, never did. I also am not trying to force DH to wear her...i dont force him to do anything. it just sucks b/c she wont be carried...she only like to be worn and she despises the carriage (even the grocery store carriages) so this leaves me to wear her always. I am simply trying to encourage him to wear her b/c that's what she likes and he is also her care-giver.

#18 of 25 Old 12-14-2010, 08:33 AM

At 15 months old, will she just walk if you have to put her down?  When my now 2 year old started walking, that was all she wanted to do.

#19 of 25 Old 12-14-2010, 09:39 AM

Maybe you should leave him with her and letting them figure it out. When you are not around to rescue them both maybe they can figure it out. You go to a different part of the store or a separate walk. Let them learn what works for them and both get use to it. Maybe she will learn to like something different that daddy does.    

#20 of 25 Old 12-14-2010, 09:51 AM

Honestly, i'd hand him the kid and walk away. If he doesnt want to wear her, thats his call, but that means hes the one that has to deal w her tantrum/wet noodle/whatever. They will figure something out. There is nothing that says you have to be the one doing the figuring (wearing). I know my DH rarely wears DS. Thats his call. But if i'm sick of wearing him or need to do something else and he doesnt want the stroller, then its up to DH to decide whether he wants to carry him, put him on his shoulders, do sack of potatoes or pull out a carrier. I dont get involved unless he asks for help (to get the RS on).

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

#21 of 25 Old 12-14-2010, 10:12 AM

My DH flatly refused to wear DD in a sling or mei tei or baby bjorn. It's not a guy thing particularly, I have seen lots of manly men wearing baby bjorns, etc. Just a personal decision. He does however, love to put her in the backpack. He will walk around all day with her in there, and has...Ours is a Kelty. He says it is very comfortable. I personally don't like it, it is too heavy for me. But DD loves it because she is up high and can look down on us mortals, lol.. I can't wear her any more, she is too heavy and I have back problems, so this is the perfect solution for when strollers are impractical and we can't let her walk. For example, we went to the RenFest in Crownsville, MD this year, and it was packed!! I swear the place has the only hills in MD, and they are quite steep, so we saw many people struggling to get their strollers up and down the hills and around all the people. And we saw many women carrying the baby while the men pushed the empty stroller, baby not wanting to ride in it anymore. So, all these useless, expensive, heavy EMPTY strollers all over, while DD happily stayed in her backpack. I use a stroller for quick trips to the mall, etc. But if we are going outside and walking around all day, DD goes in the backpack. Have you asked your DH if a backpack is a viable solution?? They can be had cheaply on Craigslist, we got ours for $20 bucks, in excellent shape. BTW Chamomile Girl, great pic!!

fly-by-nursing1.gifSAHM living on the beautiful Eastern Shore with my husband the car nut banghead.gif, and bebe Eleanor, born 9/16/09 luxlove.gif plus two kitties! cat.gif
#22 of 25 Old 12-20-2010, 01:51 AM

I just bought an Ergo secondhand for my sister for only $50! I'll PM you info. 

My DH is into wearing our kids but I have my mother-in-law to thank for that. DH is the oldest of 8 kids and helped his mom out a lot, including wearing his younger siblings on hikes and while camping. He knows there's nothing sissy-ish about it (I personally think you have to be fairly strong to wear a 20lb child for hours). However, if NOT for growing up and seeing it as normal, I'm guessing he would have been opposed to it. 

I hope a manly looking Ergo will change his mind! GL to you.

Super crunchy Mama to DS1, DS2, DD and wanting a bunch more!  We homeschool, bed share, homebirth and baby wear. We're attached, we only cloth diaper and we don't vax. There's a lot more to us than that, but it won't all fit. 

#23 of 25 Old 12-20-2010, 02:33 AM

Go for a hard hike and comment on how "masculine" he looks letting his woman do all the hard carrying work with a bad back?

Both XP and DP are ok about BW, though DP tends not to do much yet (mainly because DD is still at an age where she wants to nurse a lot in the carrier, and also because he's still a bit self-conscious about it) though he did carry DD1 a lot when she was 2ish years old.  DD1 was HN and XP carried her all the time, from birth, because it was the only thing which helped end her 4+hours of crying every night.  DD2 is so mellow, it's really more of a transport things with her.  We have a maroon kari-me, a royal blue homemade ring-wrap, a royal blue homemade meitai, a red linen homemade ring sling, a navy blue Papoose frame carrier (which she's too small for still) and any number of strips of fabric/scarfs which i'm reduced to using because i CONSTANTLY forget to grab the nearest one whenever we go somewhere in the car).

I guess i'd probably send them out together and let him figure it out.  If he wants to walk 3+ miles carrying a big 15mo in arms that's his affair, just make it clear that 1) it's his turn to transport her and 2) he doesn't get extra slack cut afterwards if he chooses to carry her until his arms are ready to fall off and can't do the dishes like he's supposed to.

#24 of 25 Old 12-22-2010, 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marsupialmom View Post

Maybe you should leave him with her and letting them figure it out. When you are not around to rescue them both maybe they can figure it out. You go to a different part of the store or a separate walk. Let them learn what works for them and both get use to it. Maybe she will learn to like something different that daddy does.    

Yup I agree with this. I love wearing my DD and find that's often the easiest solution for me to get anything done with a clingy toddler, but my DH is not. interested. at. all. in wearing her, no matter how many times he's seen it work out well for me. Although I think BWing is the greatest thing ever, clearly he doesn't give a flying fig about it - but that's okay. When he's caring for her he still manages just fine :)

#25 of 25 Old 12-22-2010, 09:36 PM
Banned

My DH seemed freaked out by the slings - not sure if they just feel weird on him or if it's a masculinity thing - but he likes the Bjorn.  It's black, it's manly.  

I also didn't really give him a choice.  He had to take care of the baby, and if he wanted to do anything, he needed to wear the Bjorn.  He's mowed the lawn and DJ'd with DS in the Bjorn.

Tags
Pouch Slings , Babywearing

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page