Possibly dumb question about mai tais and other tying carriers - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 12-14-2010, 09:29 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi,

I'm having my first in April and am trying to figure out all the carrier options. At first I was sure I wanted a structure carrier, but I was just looking at the Kozy site and think they look cool.

Anyway, here's my question: with carriers that you tie on, especially since I would think you'd need to tie them pretty firmly, doesn't the weight of the baby make the knots tighten? I'm thinking it must be a pain to untie them, especially with cotton/canvas carriers like the Kozy.

TIA!

Fiction writer by training, writer/editor of anything anyone will hire me for by trade. Me + D=my girls E (4/2011) and little N, 1/2014.

#2 of 9 Old 12-14-2010, 10:48 AM

I've never had a hard time untying them. While you do double knot the straps you don't have to go through any extreme measures to make sure they are tight. HTH! 

Lauren- geek.gif Hippie belly.gif wife to  S Mum to : babyf.gif D 11/09 and due end of August!

lactivist.giffemalesling.GIFfamilybed1.gifcd.gifhomebirth.jpgsaynovax.gif

#3 of 9 Old 12-14-2010, 11:05 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)

I tie mine in a tight shoelace type knot where I can pull the ends and undo the loop part. Holds fine and releases when I need it to. Sometimes I just lift the kid out first before undoing things though, makes it easier.

#4 of 9 Old 12-14-2010, 11:38 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieCatheryn View Post

I tie mine in a tight shoelace type knot where I can pull the ends and undo the loop part. Holds fine and releases when I need it to.

Duh, why didn't I think of that?

Fiction writer by training, writer/editor of anything anyone will hire me for by trade. Me + D=my girls E (4/2011) and little N, 1/2014.

#5 of 9 Old 12-20-2010, 01:41 AM

I'm new to the wrap world but I've been doing a lot of reading up on it and I know that Storchenweige wraps are "popable" which means you can easily get the baby in and out while the wrap stays on the wearer. I have a Moby and it IS a pain to have to untie it and loosen everything to get DD in and out. I'm looking forward to a woven wrap!

Just to add my two cents on structured carriers, I L O V E mine! I have the Beco Gemini and it is fantabulous! I initially thought I would just get one carrier and that would be it, but I now realize that different carriers meet different needs and it's great to have more than one. $$ permitting, I think you could get a lot of use out of both a wrap and a soft structured carrier.

Super crunchy Mama to DS1, DS2, DD and wanting a bunch more!  We homeschool, bed share, homebirth and baby wear. We're attached, we only cloth diaper and we don't vax. There's a lot more to us than that, but it won't all fit. 

#6 of 9 Old 12-20-2010, 01:40 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks! The Beco Gemini is probably now at the top of my list--I was reading reviews of it elsewhere and thought it looked great. Wraps are best for newborns/younger babies, right?

There's a place near my house that offers carrier rental so you can try out different models. I might check it out. But you confirmed my hunch that it would probably be a pain to tie/untie. I will definitely check out the Storchenweige--I haven't heard of that brand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stellamia View Post

I'm new to the wrap world but I've been doing a lot of reading up on it and I know that Storchenweige wraps are "popable" which means you can easily get the baby in and out while the wrap stays on the wearer. I have a Moby and it IS a pain to have to untie it and loosen everything to get DD in and out. I'm looking forward to a woven wrap!

Just to add my two cents on structured carriers, I L O V E mine! I have the Beco Gemini and it is fantabulous! I initially thought I would just get one carrier and that would be it, but I now realize that different carriers meet different needs and it's great to have more than one. $$ permitting, I think you could get a lot of use out of both a wrap and a soft structured carrier.

#7 of 9 Old 12-20-2010, 07:01 PM
Banned

Stretchy wraps are best for newborn/lighter babies, but woven wraps work for any age. I know people who carry their 5 or 6 yos in woven wraps.

And wraps are some of the comfiest carriers for older kids - the bands that go over the shoulders are spreadable, so the weight is evenly distributed. (I made myself a mei tai with spreadable shoulder bands, and it is so much more comfortable than my Ergo!
#8 of 9 Old 12-24-2010, 10:09 PM

I would suggest finding a local babywearing group and taking the time to see what they have you and touch, try and think about before investing.

Try thebabywearer.com for local groups and information on all sorts of carriers.

femalesling.GIF Tiffany ClauWi Certified Baby Wearing Consultant, Educator and e-tailer femalesling.GIF

#9 of 9 Old 12-29-2010, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AislinCarys View Post

Stretchy wraps are best for newborn/lighter babies, but woven wraps work for any age. I know people who carry their 5 or 6 yos in woven wraps.

And wraps are some of the comfiest carriers for older kids - the bands that go over the shoulders are spreadable, so the weight is evenly distributed. (I made myself a mei tai with spreadable shoulder bands, and it is so much more comfortable than my Ergo!

Yup I second this. I wear my two-year-old in woven wraps on a daily basis. I have a soft structured carrier also (Kanga XT) because I find it to be convenient for quick ups and downs on days when I don't feel like wrapping, or if my shoulders are sore and I need a wrap break.

I also second the PP's suggestion to find a local BWing group to see and try on carriers in person.. If you can swing both a buckle carrier or mei tai (which I really loved when A was under a year) and a woven wrap, that would be my recommendation.

Tags
Soft Structured Carriers , Beco Baby Carrier , Freehand Mei Tai Baby Carrier , Babywearing

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page