What's the best wrap for the first 6 months? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 12-20-2010, 02:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

New baby coming soon (our second) and me and DH are going to try constant baby-wearing (Continuum Concept-style) for the first 6 months. Any recommendations for the best brand for this? I'd like something that distributes the weight on both shoulders, and something that is easy to breastfeed in. 

Also, any advice by parents who have done this is definitely welcome! thumb.gif Thanks a bunch!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 12-20-2010, 02:33 PM

We like a stretchy wrap for that period so the babe can get popped in an dout without retying it.  I don't do a whole lot of nursing in wraps (I always feel like I need to hold my breast anyway, so I can't do the whole hands free thing anyway), so I'd just pop the baby out of the wrap, slide things around, nurse, and then put them back in.

After they get heavier, it doesn't really work as well though.

#3 of 4 Old 12-20-2010, 06:35 PM

I would recommend a a Wrapsody (Gypsy Mama) Bali Stretch wrap.  It will give you all the great things about a stretchy wrap and all the great things about a woven wrap rolled into one.  They're the perfect weight for any weather, stunning, and hold up very well over time.  The resale value is also great if you should ever decide to rehome them.  Here is there facebook page with their stunning new stretch wrap called Rowan.  Rowan celebrates birth (a lotus flower with placenta as roots!) and is named for a sweet momma who lost her Rowan but then donated her milk to of all people, a Rowan!  That makes it sound so simple but the story is very moving.  Here's a link to the story if you're interested.  Here's the website - they have several gender neutral options so that you and DH could share a wrap.  I wore my newborn in this and am still wearing her in it in every position almost 18 months later without the slightest change.  I (personally) don't like most other stretchy wraps because they are outgrown WAY to quickly - they can claim to go to whatever weight limit they want but most people aren't able to comfortably wear their babies after 15 lbs or so in them.  It's a waste of money to me.  HTH!

#4 of 4 Old 12-29-2010, 11:14 AM

A German style woven wrap is a style of wrap that is use-able newborn to well into toddler years.

IMO they offer the best return on investment. They are versatile can be used for other applications not just baby wearing ie: breastfeeding cover, blanket, shade, hammocks etc, as well maintain a high resale value, can be used and customized to each user.

femalesling.GIF Tiffany ClauWi Certified Baby Wearing Consultant, Educator and e-tailer femalesling.GIF

Tags
Wraps , Pouch Slings , Soft Structured Carriers , Babywearing

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page