Not loving the Moby as much as I did before. Is it time for something new? Is my babe to big for it? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 01-09-2011, 08:32 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I was given my Moby when my son was 3 weeks old and we loved it! Now he's 3 months and much bigger at 15 pounds and we sometimes don't feel comfortable in it now. He's often to low or to high and we struggle to get the right fit sometimes. Also one of his little legs comes out  and gets cold when we're out (I've since bought him tights so it's always covered) instead of staying inside the "seat belt" part I tuck it into. Is it time for a new carrier? Does Moby have a weight limit? 

#2 of 7 Old 01-09-2011, 08:39 AM

i found at that weight is was time for a mei tai. i made one. it has less rigidity to it than some of the structured carriers like an ergo etc. it would still cradle baby but more securely, less stretch. now that DD2 is 15 mo i prefer the ergo most times. she twists around more and i find the more rigid structure helpful to hold her in.

Me,DH,DS1'95, '98,DSD'03,DD1'07,DD2'09,DS2'12 Living with Fructose Malabsorption Syndrome and Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome Type 3-Hypermobility.)o( and sometimes I get toif I am lucky.
#3 of 7 Old 01-09-2011, 10:22 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

I think the Moby can theoretically be used up to 35 lbs, but I'm not sure. We used it for about 3 months, then preferred the Ergo. I have never tried a Mai Tei, but I have a carrier called Pikkolo, which is supposedly a cross b/w a soft structured carrier ( like the Ergo) and a Mai Tei. If the Ergo is too bulky for your needs, you may want to try the Pikkolo, it's much smaller, or a Mai Tei. However, I wouldn't want to be carrying a bigger baby or toddler in one of either of those, hence the Ergo; we can use it right on through the years.

Mama since 2010
Multicultural living in Europe
#4 of 7 Old 01-09-2011, 04:31 PM

Have you tried the Moby with legs out?  I went through an anti-moby time around 3 months, then switched holds and fell in love again :)

#5 of 7 Old 01-10-2011, 03:55 PM - Thread Starter

Maybe I can try it with legs out next time we go out. I was putting his legs in to keep them warm, though one does keep poking out. We've only ever used one hold actually. Maybe it's time to try another.

#6 of 7 Old 01-10-2011, 04:06 PM

I'd say it's time to move to a woven wrap. :D I don't think that stretchy wraps like the moby are all that great for long periods of time after about 15 lbs or so. You also would have the option of trying back and hip carries with a woven that are unsafe with a stretchy. 

Carlin blowkiss.gif - loving life with DH guitar.gif and 2 amazing daughtersenergy.gifbaby.gif

#7 of 7 Old 01-11-2011, 03:53 PM

IME, the Moby is only useful until baby reaches approximately 20 pounds.  It's a stretchy wrap after all and a heavier and more active baby will cause the fabric to stretch.  As mentioned in the previous posts, I would recommend investing in a mei tai, buckle carrier or woven wrap.

Tags
Babywearing , Moby Wrap , Wraps , Mei Tei Onbuhimo , Ergo Baby

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page