Mothering Forum banner

Help me decide which Maya Wrap fabric to get! 53 or 62??

• Fabric 53

Votes: 4 66.7%
  • Fabric 62

Votes: 2 33.3%

Which fabric for Maya Wrap? 53 or 62

1K views 21 replies 8 participants last post by  Fluffy Peanut 
#1 ·
I am buying a Maya Wrap for my newborn, who is due in June and I am having a hard time choose between fabric 53 and 62. Help!! :p I love blue and purple and both fabrics have both, so I can't decide!! I am leaning more towards 53 though! Are the colors really bright on the 53? I can't tell because it looks really bright and awesome on some websites and dull on others.

#6 ·
hi there,
i'm a maya wrap distributor, so i've seen them all in person.

62 is hands down the most popular one i sell. but if you like purple and blue, i'm thinking this isn't the one for you. the purple is more of a dark pinkish purple, and there isn't much blue in it. 62 is really dark, with a lot of black in it, too. it is really really beautiful though.

53 is not really bright, more or a subdued look, but does have both blue and purple, and some white. and this one is gorgeous in person.

the big difference between 53 and 62 is that 53 is much lighter and 62 is pretty dark. so hopefully that helps you decide. the tiny little swatches suck, you can hardly tell anything from them.

also, there is a solid purple (30) that is absolutely gorgeous. you again can't tell from the swatch, but it is a deep, regal purple.

oops. edited to take out link to pics on my site cause i just read the rules...
:

#8 ·
Thanks, bunny's mama! It helps to get input from someone who sells the wraps, since you know what they look like in person and which ones are popular!
I am having an even tougher decision now because after looking at all of the fabrics, I am now trying to decide between even more colors! :LOL Not only do I like 53 and 62, I also like 22, 37, 39 and 68. AHHHH!! I like the blues and purples, but also love the burgandys and bright colors. They're all so beautiful, it's really hard to decide! I know I'll love whichever one I choose, but I just can't come to a decision! Hopefully I'll decide soon because I'm going nuts here!! :LOL

#9 ·
well, here's some more input then...

22 is beautiful, one of my favorites, only i don't sell it anymore because it is also one that tends to NOT be colorfast (i.e. it runs). it is a nice dark green & blue.

37 is really bright and cheery. but you gotta like yellows and oranges. i used to have a pouch in this fabric and it always made me feel so happy to look at it. definitely good, IMO, if you live in a dark, cloudy place (like seattle). it's like a burst of sunshine.

39 is really "ethnic" looking, people tell me. also, it is a more subtle pattern. just a rich burgundy with some subtle orange and greenish lines thru it.

68 is not one i carry. i ordered one once and it didn't sell well. too many colors maybe?

good luck! it IS indeed a hard choice. that's why i started distributing them, so i could get as many as i want at wholesale prices!! i'm a shameless maya wrap addict.

#10 ·
Thanks for your help! I agree, 22 is really pretty. That is too bad that it's not colorfast!!

I like 37 because it's really happy and cheery. It's sunny over here in Southern California and I think something bright would be nice for the summertime (my baby is due in June).

39 is really pretty! I love the burgundy color!!

I might end up buying one now and then getting another color later! :LOL It would be nice having a couple different slings to suit my moods.
My DH thinks I'm nuts! :LOL He actually wanted me to get black so that he could use the sling too and I was like there is NO WAY I'm getting black!
: I told him I'd buy him his own sling if he wants something plain!

#11 ·
Okay, I ended up buying number 37! I usually wear blue, so I figured it would be nice to have something different for my wrap. I just love the bright colors! I ordered a large, which hopefully wont be too big. I'm thin, but almost 5'10" and I wanted a long tail for discreet BFing. I figured I can always return it if I don't like the color and/or it isn't the right size for me.

Anyway, thanks for all of your help! I can't wait to get my Maya Wrap in the mail!!!

#14 ·
Thanks, Rachel!
I can't wait to try it out too! With my first DS, I used a Baby Bjorn. I liked it, but I couldn't BF in it, which would have been nice! I also had to stop using it when my son was around 13 lbs. because it was killing my back! He loved it while we used it though! It was the only way I could get any shopping done! I did have a Nojo sling that my SIL let me borrow, but it didn't work very well. I loved using the Kangaroo carry, but I could never get the sling tight enough. I think the padding would get in the way.

Kristin ~ Yeah, that's what I was thinking. I'll probably order number 53 later on. I might order another one soon for my toddler, although I'm not sure if I'd be able to use it while pregnant. I'm thinking it would make it easier to carry him though. He's really heavy and it's always a strain on my back when he wants me to carry him.

#15 ·
If you are thin, the tail on the large will be way past your knee. I'm a distributor too and I have customers almost 6' but thin who get smalls because the medium is to the knee on them. I'm only 5'3 but 150 lbs and I wear a small. The tail is just past my hip.

Good fabric choice, though.

#16 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Tupelo Honey
If you are thin, the tail on the large will be way past your knee. I'm a distributor too and I have customers almost 6' but thin who get smalls because the medium is to the knee on them. I'm only 5'3 but 150 lbs and I wear a small. The tail is just past my hip.

Good fabric choice, though.
Past my knee??
Oh great! :LOL Well I wanted to make sure I had a long tail for BFing. Do you think it would be long enough with the medium? Good thing I ordered from the Maya Wrap website. They gladly take returns for wrong sizes and/or if we don't like the color.

#18 ·
I have a two mediums and they fit me very well (5'6", 140 lbs) and they also fit DH (6'1, 240 lbs) but without much tail, which is fine b/c he doesn't need it.

I believe his is the 62 you were thinking of. It's bright and definitely more on the "pinkish" side of purple, but it's also very ethnic looking, very "mexican blanket".

I'm not sure what mine is - can't see it on the website, but it is black with some thin tan, red and other coloured lines on it. It's still patterned, but much more neutral. I thought I"d like the bright colours but when I wore bright clothes I just felt too clashy, lol.

My pouch is alot like 53 but it's green. It might be the 22 someone mentioned. Lots of greens and blues. I haven't had any trouble with the colour running: I washed it with mild vinegar solution when I first got it, as per the instructions, and never had any trouble. It's a gorgeous fabric if you like deep greens and blues!

#19 ·
yep, i'm gonna second the thought that the medium is prolly the right size for you, with plenty of tail. i think MW still even pays shipping for returned slings. my dh has a large and he is about 5'11" but VERY stocky (built like a rugby player), and it is a good size for him. i really think MW should add a caveat about weight of wearer to the sizing instructions, i find it's helpful to look at both.

piglet, so glad your 22 doesn't run. you are lucky, i have a 49 myself (a red one) that also has trouble with colorfastness, but this particular sling is the only 49 i've ever ordered that WAS colorfast, and i love the pattern so much i kept it for myself.

argh, wakey babe, gotta go...

#21 ·
just for futue knowledge and for others out there who may be looking to get a MW, there are distributors all over the globe. most, like me, sell slings in person, so you can try them on, look at the fabrics, and get all touchy feely (as well as get an in-person lesson suited specifically to you & your baby) before you buy.

if you go to the MW site and click on "distributors" i bet you can find a friendly one in your area!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.