I really want Babywearing to work - Please help me! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 01-13-2011, 11:14 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I have a 17 wo baby who loves to be carried and walked around. I have a Maya Wrap sling that I started using when he was 6 wo (although I got it before he was born) but I guess I wasn't persistent. When he fussed I would remove him from it. I use it on and off, mostly to entertain him or to help him fall asleep when he's fussy. I wear it for about 1/2 hour maximum once in 2-3 days. Some days he's good with it, some days he tries to jump out of it when I put him in it. I had my mum helping me until now so it was not such a big deal to carry him in my arms and walk around when he was fussy. But now that my mum will be leaving shortly and I have to take care of everything at home, I really want baby-wearing to work. Are there other carriers that are fail-safe (I keep reading good things about the Ergo)? I want to buy it only if I know I'll definitely be using it. If it has a smaller learning curve, then I can get DH to try it as well. When I wear the sling, it's not entirely hands-free, I still support DS with one hand and I can't do much around the house that way. Please help, I REALLY want baby-wearing to work. 

#2 of 14 Old 01-13-2011, 02:51 PM

I would read over some of the other forums here in the Babywearing section.  There are a couple going on right now about what carryer people like best.  I think trying some other types may help you.  Many people use different types for different occasions.  I took my baby to a baby store when he was a couple months old and tried on some types with him.  He wasn't a big fan of being worn at first.  He picked out my Maya ring sling because he hated it the least.   If there is a store in your area that will let you try some on with him that would be a good way to see what works for you and your baby.

novaxnocirc.gifbfinfant.gifwaterbirth.jpghomebirth.jpg
#3 of 14 Old 01-14-2011, 07:24 AM

Unfortunately, no carrier is guaranteed to work since everyone and every baby is different.  But SSC like the Ergo are simple to use and have the lowest learning curve to them.  Personally, the Ergo is a bit bulkier than I like, although lots of people LOVE them.  There are lots of other brands you can look into though.  The Action Baby Carrier is a favorite at our local babywearing group and those are really affordable.  I also really like the AngelPack.  The Beco Butterfly II has an insert that allows you to more easily put them on your back, which some people love.  So there are lots of options out there for you.  I would look around, try some if you can or see if there is a local babywearing group near you where you can try/borrow some.  Otherwise, just make sure you can return the carrier if you decide you don't like how it works for you.  Good luck!

Ruth, mama to 2 little monkeys and owner of Zerberts
Helping you find the perfect baby carrier! Risk Free Shopping and FREE SHIPPING!
#4 of 14 Old 01-14-2011, 08:32 AM

A lot of people love Ergos and Becos and they are hands free. I didn't like them because the wide padded band at the bottom was too bulky and hot, but that's just my opinion.

My favorite is a Mei Tai carrier (babyhawk) because it is secured by tying straps to get a perfect fit. I personally never did like ring slings or pouches because I felt like I always had to keep a hand on the baby at all times.

Perhaps you could find a store that allows carriers to be exchanged if you try it on and don't like it. You definitely can make babywearing work for you, it's just a trial and error process to find the carrier that you love.

heartbeat.gif Mama to 5 busy bees (12, 9, 6, 3, 2) & 3 angel1.gif
#5 of 14 Old 01-14-2011, 10:14 AM

Agree with everyone else.. I think you'd be fine with an Ergo or Beco or something similar, but it would be best if you can find somewhere like a babywearing group or a local store to try on a few carriers before you decide what you want. 17 weeks is.. just over 4 months? and that tends to be a tricky babywearing time for some, since baby wants to see everything and not be restricted, but doesn't really have the head/neck control to do so. I think you can make babywearing work for you, it will just take some trial and error, and keep in mind that it may get much, much easier in a few months. I don't think persistance at the beginning is necessary.. I didn't really start wearing my daughter until 5 months or so, and we're still going strong at 2 years now :)

I would also suggest keeping your ring sling, when your baby has better head control it becomes more hands-free and is great for things like quick trips to the store. I really loved mine from 6 or 7 months through a year, one-shoulder carries just became too ouchy for me after that but plenty of people use ring slings even with toddlers.

#6 of 14 Old 01-14-2011, 05:27 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you all for your suggestions. I plan on attending a baby-wearing meeting tomorrow and hopefully the mamas there will help me with sling wearing techniques and also find the right carrier for DS.

#7 of 14 Old 01-16-2011, 08:03 AM - Thread Starter

I attended the baby-wearing meeting yesterday, which was held at a baby store. I ended up buying a pikkolo. The store owner said Ergo cannot be used until baby is 6 months or so, and that since I'm petite (4'11") with a short torso, the pikkolo would be a better fit. After i came home though, I read reviews of Ergo and just about everyone who has it raves about it. Makes me wonder if I should have tried the Ergo as well before settling for the pikkolo. Any thoughts?

#8 of 14 Old 01-16-2011, 09:20 AM

Well TBH I think a lot of folks who rave about it have probably ONLY used the Ergo, or maybe were converted from some other more mainstream carrier like a Bjorn or are "moving up" from a Moby/Sleepy Wrap. The Ergo was my first carrier and while it's okay, and certainly better than the Bjorn, there are many other carriers that I'd reach for first that are less bulky, more comfy and MUCH prettier (if that matters to you, it kinda does to me LOL). It's very thick and gets quite hot in warm weather.

Wonder if you're in my area, there was a BWing meeting held at a store yesterday that I try to attend occasionally, but we had company over yesterday so I skipped it.

#9 of 14 Old 01-16-2011, 04:20 PM

I'd stick with the Pikkolo. I think it's a great choice for your petite frame, on which the Ergo would likely be WAY too bulky, and for front carries for a 4 month old. Don't second-guess yourself -- if it fits well, it's a winner! You can always add on the support belt later for back carries when your LO is ready for them -- that way the bulk of the hip belt goes on your back where it belongs. If you were coming to me with your specs on your size and your ds' age, the Pikkolo is what I would have recommended for you, no question!

Come visit the NEW QuirkyBaby website -- earn QB Bucks rewards points for purchases, reviews, referrals, and more! Free US shipping on great brands of baby slings and carriers and FREE BabyLegs or babywearing mirror on orders of $100+. Take the QB Quiz for personalized advice!

#10 of 14 Old 01-17-2011, 08:26 AM

I love my Ergo.  We got the infant insert, so we have been wearing my son since he was born.  I also have a Moby Wrap and sometimes use that too.  I truly believe the Ergo is one of the best carriers around and my hubby doesn't mind using it as well.

#11 of 14 Old 01-17-2011, 05:09 PM

I had both and ended up selling the ergo, the Beco looks better and not as bulky. The ergo seemed really puffy on me and doesn’t have the internal harness like the Beco. I am able to pass my son to mom without having to take him out of the carrier, priceless luxury when my son is fast asleep!

But if you have to narrow it down to 2 carriers, it’s not a surprise that it’s between Beco and Ergo, they are the very best and are Mom made companies. Bjorn is a mainstream conglomerate only interested in making money and is considered a bad word in the baby wearing communities. Do you want your baby to look like this in a baby carrier?

http://www.celebritybabyscoop.com/node/30079?fid=30589

One more thing to consider, Beco is taller and the ergo is wider, consider this in when deciding since everybody is shape differently. You can’t go wrong with either brand.   

#12 of 14 Old 01-17-2011, 06:09 PM

I have to be honest I HATE both my becco and Ergo.  I can't reach around my back to get it on my front.  It is really frustrating for me.  I know a few other moms who feel the same way.  Personally I LOVE my Baby K'Tan, Moby and Kozy Mei Tie.  Kozy and Baby K'Tan are very very easy to get on and off.  Moby is the most supportive and the Kozy is wonderful for carrying my 6 month old on my back. 

Jenn
Cloth Diapering, Babywearing Mom to Cole, 3, and Max 6 months
earthycrunchymama.com
#13 of 14 Old 01-21-2011, 09:36 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you all. I'm still trying to get used to the Pikkolo. It definitely is better on my back than the ring sling but I still need to work on it to make sure it's comfortable. My upper back hurts a bit when I wear it and DS is content in it sometimes and sometimes he fusses and wants to get out of it. 

@Lauren710: I live in Pittsburgh. Not the store you're talking baout.

#14 of 14 Old 07-05-2012, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrruth View Post

Unfortunately, no carrier is guaranteed to work since everyone and every baby is different.  But SSC like the Ergo are simple to use and have the lowest learning curve to them.  Personally, the Ergo is a bit bulkier than I like, although lots of people LOVE them.  There are lots of other brands you can look into though.  The Action Baby Carrier is a favorite at our local babywearing group and those are really affordable.  I also really like the AngelPack.  The Beco Butterfly II has an insert that allows you to more easily put them on your back, which some people love.  So there are lots of options out there for you.  I would look around, try some if you can or see if there is a local babywearing group near you where you can try/borrow some.  Otherwise, just make sure you can return the carrier if you decide you don't like how it works for you.  Good luck!

I am not familiar with Pikkolo, but I think Action Baby Carrier may also help. I am just 5'2 but I think it will fit me right,..As of now I am already waiting for my ABC so have not worn it yet. But I have seen in their facebook page that even kids can wear it yet it is also wearable by daddies beacause its adjustable and comfortable.the weight limit is 40lbs. Anyway's what is the weight of your DH??dh_malesling.GIF

Living is great but being a MOM is even better

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page